Please help me select a NCL Mediterranean Itinerary

blueslily

Hello all,

I'm writing to ask for your help with choosing between a few itineraries. I have gone on one Mediterranean cruise. It was on the Epic a few years ago. Started and ended in Barcelona. The cruise was 7 days. I loved it and want to take my mom (age 60) to Europe next year if possible. She is from a small rural town. Is a afraid of flying and has not traveled much. I would love to take her on the same itinerary that I went on back then (Barcelona, Cannes, Marseilles, Florence, Naples, Rome). But, I want to go to Greece and figure that I might as well not pay for airfare to go to Europe twice in one year (I don't have that kind of discretionary income). So, I am looking into some of the 10, 11, and 12 day NCL sailings. I'm having a hard time choosing between two itineraries. I'm wondering if you all can help me choose.

I am choosing based on ports of call, cost, duration of time the ship will be in port, and date of sailing. I'm looking for sailings in April - May 2019 OR September - October 2019. For price, I'm looking for the best overall price. For ports of call, my priorities are Santorini, Athens, Mykonos, Florence, Naples, and Rome. I would also like a port of call near the French Rivera like Cannes or Monte Carlo. I would like to depart or return to Barcelona because I want to spend a couple days there exploring before or after the cruise. Many of the cruises leave out of Rome (round trip). I'm ok with that, but that means I will need a flight to Barcelona to spend more time there.

As I've looked at itinerary after itinerary, it's hard to choose.

Option 1: NCL Star 12 Days May 2018 - Barcelona, Monte Carlo, Florence, Rome, Naples, Sea Day, Santorini, Athens, Mykonos, Argosteli, Kotor, Dubeovnik, Venice (yes, this is not a round trip cruise. It ends in Venice which I like. That gives us another place to explore.) **Double the cost of Option 2 which I do not like.

Option 2: NCL Jade 11 days May 2018 (or also Sept/Oct) - Rome, At Sea, Santorini, Athens, Mykonos, Rhodes, Crete, Malta, Sicily, Naples, Florence, Rome (I like that Rhodes and Crete are included. Not as thrilled about a round trip out of Rome. This means will need flight to Barcelona before or after.) ***Half the price of Option 1.

There are several 7 day options that do not include Greece. Or, there are 7 days options that include mostly Greece and Italy.

I also want to add some days in Paris before the cruise so my mom can see a little bit of Paris and use that time to adjust to the time difference. (We are on the East Coast of the United States).

Another question: For Option 1, there is a reverse sailing (starting in Venice, ending in Barcelona) that is offered in November on the Epic. However, I did a lot of research on this cruise last year and most folks were recommending to not go to Greece after mid-October due to weather change and some activities being closed for the season. Is November still a bad idea? Of course the sailings in Nov are less expensive.

Your thoughts? Option 1 has the departure and return ports that I want. That makes it easier for me to explore those areas. But, Option 2 is half the price. However, once I book flights, will it even out? Then there's the option of Option 1 on the Epic (newer ship) in November 2018. Which do you think is better and why? I have been thinking about this over and over.

Thanks so much! :)

That first cruise is pricey compared to 7 day NCL offerings (more than double). It looks like time isn't a major factor, so have you considered two 7 days...one R/T from Barcelona (western) and a R/T (eastern med) from Venice a few days later? There might be a number of combinations that work...particularly if you open yourself to mixing and matching cruise lines.

The best option might be (if you can find it) a Barcelona to Rome 7 day. Spend time in Rome...train to Venice, then a 7 day Greek Isle from there.

Edited by buggins0402

Like others I am confused why NCL is the only cruise line you have mentioned. Multiple other lines ply the Med with lots of different itineraries. Med cruises often allow you to embark and disembark in different ports, they also have variable lengths. You need either to search a cruise timetable site using your preferred dates and ports or find a good TA who can do that based on your criteria of what is most important. While you want to watch your dollar, don’t be penny wise and pound foolish if there is something you absolutely have as a must do.

While I agree that there are lots more options in the Med you can consider, I shall address your original question.

For me, it would be Option 2 hands-down.

I don't think any of the issues you see with Option 2 are insurmountable. Rome really deserves more time than a mere port day. While I love Barcelona, I certainly wouldn't make it a must-see if this is the cruise you pick. Thus, I would be flying into Paris from the US, spend a few days there, then travel to Rome for a couple of days pre-cruise. You can fly this segment, although seeing you mother doesn't like to fly in the first place, you can also do this by train (it would take all day, but you are travelling through the Alps). All of this will cost extra, of course, but if you're saving that much on the cruise, it evens out.

Of course, in terms of cost you need to consider airfare, and the only way you'll see is by pricing it out. While next year's prices may be different (I assume this is for 2019, as May 2018 has already passed :)), you can at least get a general feel of prices by checking this year's airfares.

Why are you limiting yourself to NCL?...

Like others I am confused why NCL is the only cruise line you have mentioned. Multiple other lines ply the Med with lots of different itineraries....

Not really sure but I would assume it could be because OP has been on NCL (as mentioned in the original post). Many cruisers, ourselves included, tend to stay with the line on which they were introduced to cruising - it just feels like home, maybe "safe" in a way, and they can start building up loyalty points and status.

I like Option #2's itinerary and I love Rome. Spend your time in Rome and Paris, you won't be sorry.

I'll also say that I've been on several Med cruises in November. Things aren't "closed" -- but it's also not beach weather. If your goal is primarily to sightsee, November can be a fine choice. You are somewhat more likely to hit a rainy day or two though, especially if your cruise is going to more Northerly ports (e.g., Venice, Marseilles, etc.) But Sicily, Rhodes, Athens, and other southern islands are likely to be fine.

Why are you limiting yourself to NCL? Go to www.cruisetimetables.com and do a little playing. Departure port? Select and see who is sailing. Particular port of call? Select one and see who goes there. Open yourself to more options. EM

Thats an interesting website. :)Yes, I have looked at various options using similar websites. As you suggested, I have filtered by port of call, departure port, etc.

That first cruise is pricey compared to 7 day NCL offerings (more than double). It looks like time isn't a major factor, so have you considered two 7 days...one R/T from Barcelona (western) and a R/T (eastern med) from Venice a few days later? There might be a number of combinations that work...particularly if you open yourself to mixing and matching cruise lines.

The best option might be (if you can find it) a Barcelona to Rome 7 day. Spend time in Rome...train to Venice, then a 7 day Greek Isle from there.

Buggins - I like this idea! A back to back with two 7 day sailings as long as I can find two itineraries that I like close together. And that are good price wise.

The only issue is that Option 2 really isnt a bad price for the number of days. Two 7 day cruises will be more expensive for sure. I will look into this though.

Thanks!

Not really sure but I would assume it could be because OP has been on NCL (as mentioned in the original post). Many cruisers, ourselves included, tend to stay with the line on which they were introduced to cruising - it just feels like home, maybe "safe" in a way, and they can start building up loyalty points and status.

Thanks for the reply. I must admit that I was scratching my head a little. :confused::confused: I tried to explain a lot in my original posting. Thanks

Like others I am confused why NCL is the only cruise line you have mentioned. Multiple other lines ply the Med with lots of different itineraries. Med cruises often allow you to embark and disembark in different ports, they also have variable lengths. You need either to search a cruise timetable site using your preferred dates and ports or find a good TA who can do that based on your criteria of what is most important. While you want to watch your dollar, don’t be penny wise and pound foolish if there is something you absolutely have as a must do.

Yes, I have done a lot of research. Man, that first option really isnt penny pinching. I am definitely chosing based on various factors, as noted in my original post. Thanks :D

While I agree that there are lots more options in the Med you can consider, I shall address your original question.

For me, it would be Option 2 hands-down.

I don't think any of the issues you see with Option 2 are insurmountable. Rome really deserves more time than a mere port day. While I love Barcelona, I certainly wouldn't make it a must-see if this is the cruise you pick. Thus, I would be flying into Paris from the US, spend a few days there, then travel to Rome for a couple of days pre-cruise. You can fly this segment, although seeing you mother doesn't like to fly in the first place, you can also do this by train (it would take all day, but you are travelling through the Alps). All of this will cost extra, of course, but if you're saving that much on the cruise, it evens out.

Of course, in terms of cost you need to consider airfare, and the only way you'll see is by pricing it out. While next year's prices may be different (I assume this is for 2019, as May 2018 has already passed :)), you can at least get a general feel of prices by checking this year's airfares.

Thanks so much for responding to my questions.

Yes, May 2019. Hahaha, my mistake. :D

I will look into flights this wknd to the price difference. That will certaily be a factor.

Oh Baecelona, I enjoyed my visit there post cruise.

Thanks so much! :)

I’d go for option one because you hit many “can’t miss” places. If it’s your Moms only time to Europe she has to see Venice. The Star is an older ship but it’s smaller with less pax, this will make it less overwhelming.

We have cruised in the Mediterranean many times, out of Barcelona, Rome, Venice, Athens and Istanbul. Going in and out of Barcelona is very easy and less expensive, since port and airport very close together. Going on NCL is often less expensive then other lines too. We have cruised Princess, Celebrity, Holland America, Crystal, Cunard and NCL in the Mediterranean. Round trip is cheaper when doing air... open jaw tickets can be expensive that is when you board in one city and end in another. Since you mention Paris... I can tell you, we often fly Air France to Paris, stop there for a couple of days, then fly on to Rome or Athens to catch a cruise... don't know where you live or how easy it is to connect with Air France in New York or other major city maybe an option, Delta is a partner with Air France. Ref your cruise choice, I would suggest pick your two favorites, do a pro and con and simply pick one. Check out the air options and costs as part of your pro and cons. All the ports in the Mediterranean are fantastic, you can't lose. Once you get the bug you will go back again, so don't be afraid you will miss something... we first did a Mediterranean cruise in l988 or so, we could not stop going back...

Buggins - I like this idea! A back to back with two 7 day sailings as long as I can find two itineraries that I like close together. And that are good price wise.

The only issue is that Option 2 really isnt a bad price for the number of days. Two 7 day cruises will be more expensive for sure. I will look into this though.

Thanks!

There is a weird three day on Epic in May...Barcelona, Naples to Rome. Florence would have to be done by land on the way to Venice.

Edited by buggins0402

There is a weird three day on Epic in May...Barcelona, Naples to Rome. Florence would have to be done by land on the way to Venice.

I noticed that as well. I wonder if that is embedded in another cruise thats longer or if its the start or end of another cruise. Ive been on cruises where they have picked up passengers from other ports during our cruise so i wonder. I havent invested energy into trying to figure that out yet. Im curious.

There is aso a 4 day in Oct and Nov. I like the itinerary better. Includes Cannes. :)

Out of the two itineraries, I would go with option 1 as well.

Thanks! It's a hard decision.

With Option 1, I don't really know a lot about Argosteli, Kotor, Dubeovnik so I am not so thrilled about those ports (other than they weren't given as many rave reviews by past cruisers). I really like the departure from Barcelona and return to Venice though. I'm not thrilled that the price is literally double the price of Option 2.

With Option 2, based on my research Crete and Rhodes are good ports to visit. Those are missing from Option 1. They are replaced with Argosteli, Kotor, Dubeovnik.

So, it's a tough decision. Those who know the Greece ports, am I missing something? Are Rhodes and Crete indeed better ports to visit then Argosteli, Kotor, Dubeovnik?

(This is all based on my online reading research of course. I have never been to Greece.)

Thanks!

Ask on the Greece board about Argostoli. We found it to be a walkable port, not a lot to do/see in town. There is only one space at the dock, so if there are two ships that day, one tenders. Kotor is a charming medieval city with a walled old town. Grab a map outside the walls and wander on your own. Likely to be a tender port. We docked once and tendered once. Dubrovnik is a charming walled old town that can be done on your own. EM

Ask on the Greece board about Argostoli. We found it to be a walkable port, not a lot to do/see in town. There is only one space at the dock, so if there are two ships that day, one tenders. Kotor is a charming medieval city with a walled old town. Grab a map outside the walls and wander on your own. Likely to be a tender port. We docked once and tendered once. Dubrovnik is a charming walled old town that can be done on your own. EM

I agree with this advice, Kotor was a beautiful sail in and the old towns there and in Dubrovnik are marvellous to just wander around and explore yourself. You can get up onto the wall at Dubrovnik as well.

So, it's a tough decision. Those who know the Greece ports, am I missing something? Are Rhodes and Crete indeed better ports to visit then Argosteli, Kotor, Dubeovnik?

(This is all based on my online reading research of course. I have never been to Greece.)

Thanks!

Rhode is an outstanding port. The old city (very scenic) is easily accessible from where the ships dock -- no need to take a tour unless you want to. One of the highlights is the Palace of the Grand Master (of the Knights Templar). And there are also beautiful beaches if you like, or you can visit the charming smaller artistic community of Lindos.

Crete -- well, Crete is a big island with at least 4 cruise ports. Which one would you be stopping at?

Regardless, I feel Rhodes and Crete are more "first tier" stops than Kotor and Argostoli. Dubrovnik is very worthwhile though.

I noticed that as well. I wonder if that is embedded in another cruise thats longer or if its the start or end of another cruise. Ive been on cruises where they have picked up passengers from other ports during our cruise so i wonder. I havent invested energy into trying to figure that out yet. Im curious.

There is aso a 4 day in Oct and Nov. I like the itinerary better. Includes Cannes. :)

It is because EPIC allows embarkation in BCN or Civitavecchia. On the first cruise of the season it would have empty cabins on the BCN to Rome portion, if they didn’t sell these tail ends that are the cabins of those embarking in Rome. Same with the end of season.

As to your questions on Kotor and Dubrovnik, both are great ports and were among our favorites. Yes, Cannes is a great port.

I did a quick run through and there appeared to be some Spirit/Epic 7 day combos in October that came out cheaper than Option 1, but not as cheap as Option 2. But, the Epic would RT Rome...which isn’t your desire. There is a discount airline out of BCN, Vueling...which has fares well under $100 one way, VCE to BCN, but, have no idea what they charge for luggage and such.

Kotor has the most spectacular approach/departure I ever experienced. In itself it is almost worth the price of a cruise. If your legs are good, walk the walls.

I can't imagine anyone giving Dubrovnic a poor review. It too is a spectacular old walled city. There is a modest fee to walk the walls; worth the money, time, and effort. That walk gives one some idea of the horrors of the Siege of Dubrovnic in the early '90s. There were still buildings in ruins a few years ago; the stark contrast of the dark orange (old) and bright orange (new) roofs tells a story in itself.

Option 1 for sure

I agree with the post above..

Please do not fall into the typical trap of 'I haven't heard much about it so I am not thrilled'. Kotor and Dubrovnik are our favourite ports in the Med tied with Valetta in Malta. Kotor has the charming history, the Med climate and a sail in that rivals some Fjords. It is truly wonderful and my number 1 port for the area. It's old walled main area is also no cars. Dubrovnik also has the history and the stunning scenery. Its so stunning it has been used by major TV shows and films as a location (Game of Thrones, Star Wars, Doctor Who). The only reason I can think of them having bad reviews is non Europeans wanting more Italy on a cruise or the perception that certain nations in that area are poor (false).

Crete and Rhodes and many other Greek islands are rather well liked in my Family and to some extent they have a similarities. Option 1 has a lot of Greece in it for any cruise so it would be worthwhile to visit 2 extra countries (Croatia for Dubrovnik and Montenegro for Kotor).

The fact it ends in Venice is also a plus. It is Italy's crown jewel in my opinion.

If you are wondering about travelling from Paris to Barcelona pre cruise may I recommend the clean and quick 6 hour train if you want to avoid flying. European trains are fabulous and often have restaurant cars.

We commonly use these trains to travel around main land Europe.