Caribbean Princess photo review 2018 : Suite and sour

scubacruiserx2

Yeah, so many choices. We are so lucky in so many ways.:D

Being about 50 miles from Ft. Lauderdale and 75 miles from Miami gives us easy access to cruises . We usually dive when we travel from here and because we live in a warm climate , we usually reserve our longer trips for cooler climates in the Spring or Fall .

If I could only remember which color was Starboard . ;) But as Pat used to say , " Just follow the Red ".

The carpets do seem to have a different pattern.

Ask yourself the question 'Is there any Red Port Left'

I believe this are the standard marine designations. Not that that fact would help me.

The old marine adage is " Right , red returning " , meaning that you keep the red buoy on the right ( Starboard ) when returning from sea . Thus red is Starboard and green is Port .

The old marine adage is " Right , red returning " , meaning that you keep the red buoy on the right ( Starboard ) when returning from sea . Thus red is Starboard and green is Port .

Red is also the color of a vessel's port running light. Green is the color of a starboard running light.

Only in those countries under strong US influence, which basically means North and South America plus Japan, Korea and the Phillipines, who use IALA (International Association of Lighthouse Authorities) B system.

THE REST OF THE WORLD use the IALA A system which is green for starboard and red for port (as do all ships irrespective of nationality)

The aide mémoire they use is:

PORT wine is RED

-

drink too much PORT and you will get LEFT behind in PORT

The two systems we formally set up around 1970 when it was decided to standardise buoyage through the world.

IALA version A was based on the most commonly found system and was intended to become the common worldwide system.

Unfortunately one country stubbornly refused to change and its neighbours felt that it would be confusing to have different systems between geographically neighbouring countries and so IALA B was introduced as a compromise to be used solely on the American continent and in the Caribbean Sea.

Why Japan, the Philippines and Korea chose to have a different system to their close geographical neighbours is anybody’s guess. Seems very strange particularly given that countries like France who are partly in the Caribbean sensibly chose to accept the compromise and use IALA A in continental France and La Reunion, and IALA B in Martinique and Guadeloupe.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Corfe Mixture

The photos remind me of our visit there, we had sunny weather for one visit and overcast with showers for the second one, cheers.

The weather changed a lot . It was usually cool and overcast with some rain in the morning . But on a couple of afternoons it was warm and sunny especially in Oslo . :cool:

d2a023cc-aa3e-464a-8c12-28b2fa469c7b_zpshyh98xjy.jpg

IMG_6261-001_zpsad0a696a.jpg

Edited by scubacruiserx2

Only in those countries under strong US influence, which basically means North and South America plus Japan, Korea and the Phillipines, who use IALA (International Association of Lighthouse Authorities) B system.

THE REST OF THE WORLD use the IALA A system which is green for starboard and red for port (as do all ships irrespective of nationality)

PORT wine is RED

-

The two systems we formally set up around 1970 when it was decided to standardise buoyage through the world.

IALA version A was based on the most commonly found system and was intended to become the common worldwide system.

Unfortunately one country stubbornly refused to change and its neighbours felt that it would be confusing to have different systems between geographically neighbouring countries and so IALA B was introduced as a compromise to be used solely on the American continent and in the Caribbean Sea.

Why Japan, the Philippines and Korea chose to have a different system to their close geographical neighbours is anybody’s guess. Seems very strange particularly given that countries like France who are partly in the Caribbean sensibly chose to accept the compromise and use IALA A in continental France and La Reunion, and IALA B in Martinique and Guadeloupe.

I suppose they just wanted to be different, just like Metric vs Imperial measurements. Very archaic really.

PORT wine is RED

-

I wonder if the ship changed the color dots on the carpet overnight when we changed countries ?

We did change our clocks 4 times during this cruise , which is the most that we that have , having done this itinerary 6 times .

The carpets do seem to have a different pattern.

Ask yourself the question 'Is there any Red Port Left'

Can you see the color pattern exiting the elevators or do you have to walk that way anyway? - for me, the couple extra steps is needed...:D

If you ever leave out of San Francisco, there's 2 Coast Guard boats with men at the gun. The Coast Guard gets on any boat or wind surfer that looks like they're headed towards the ship. Not over kill IMHO, our tax dollars at work. Sometimes the CG will put on a show for us before we go under the Golden Gate. This is where having a balcony comes into play. :hearteyes:

P.S. Nice photos!!!

I never thought about the high risk from windsurfers, you are absolutely right, who knows what these notoriously antisocial people have concealed in the numerous and spacious hiding places on their surfing board?

I never thought about the high risk from windsurfers, you are absolutely right, who knows what these notoriously antisocial people have concealed in the numerous and spacious hiding places on their surfing board?

LOL, they may be smuggling more than a budgie.:D

Love the port security! :cool:

Joe and Pat, what did you decide? Are you cruising over the 4th? Or listening to your neighbor's fireworks like we will be doing?

No cruises booked . A happy 4th to everyone and be safe !

6add4269-bed3-4429-85c9-638cfe6eb6ea_zpsuov09ywv.jpg

ba5bd181-a43b-46f5-b7f2-647434aa0c93_zpsdy99kbet.jpg

Pat thinks that the fireworks are for her birthday ( yesterday ) . She can now draw Social Security . :D