This may be a crazy question but I’m gonna ask it

Mommawo

Lol that is awesome advice!!

To everyone else who are why would you do that people lol I was just asking if it were possible. I have not crunched the numbers but who would not wanna cruise ship to your destination instead of fly ?

I would rather go to Europe on a transatlantic instead of trying to work out the logistics of something in the Caribbean but right now time constraints would preclude such a trip.

That’s exactly what Bahamas Paradise Cruiseline offers now. You can sail over one night on ship, get off spend as long as you wish at the resort and schedule a desperate trip back.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Here is why it is not possible.

The cruse line will say no.

When the ship sails from the US embarkation port a manifest of passengers is generated and submitted to CBP. While you are sailing the CBP scans the list and verifies that no one onboard has any outstanding warrants or other legal problems. When the ship returns the manifest is compared to the actual name and number of passengers that disembark, any with warrants are arrested and taken away.

This procedure requires a lot of paperwork and coordination between the entities involved.

If you leave the ship in Roatan to stay for awhile, the cruise line must start the process all over again.

Several years ago they quietly decided not to do so...and so 'downline' departures from the ship are no longer allowed. Obviously there are exceptions, but they are just that, exceptions, not routine practice.

In addition to the above details, the disembarkation that you describe would require customs and immigration entry by the Honduran authorities (or Belize, etc, etc). To just leave the ship would be an illegal entry into the country.

Feel free to explore and verify the above, but be prepared for 'no'.

Carnival does not offer one-way cruises. If you read the cruise contract, it clearly states this. There are also some out dated US laws to this effect. It has been several years since I have flown to Belize but as I remember it was not that expensive so even if you could do the one way cruises- it would still be more expensive.

Last time, this has nothing to do with one way cruises, or the PVSA. The cruise contract mentions that if you deviate from the itinerary, there may be a fine, but then again there may not be.

In addition to the problems concisely outlined by "thinfool", there is a problem with the "just do it and don't tell anyone" scenario. You are planning on your return to be a cruise that starts in the US, and picks you up in Belize. Well, guess what, if you don't show up for embarkation in the US for this second cruise, you will forfeit your cabin, and there will not be one waiting for you when you show up at the pier in Belize. Also, as thinfool says, you will have to clear customs and immigration in and out of Belize, so you would have to arrange for these government folks to be available when you decide to show up to board.

The scenario is possible, and legal, but you cannot do it without informing the cruise line and getting their okay to do so. You will also pay full fare for two cruises. It is, however, highly unlikely to be granted.

In the old days of cruising (7 or 8 years ago), several ex pats were using this method to go spends months in Cozumel and Roatan. Its tougher now, but you would have to make arrangements with the cruise line.

That's a violation of the jones act

Which post are you replying to?

The issue being discussed on this thread has nothing to do with the PVSA.

The Jones Act is irrelevant as it pertains to freight or cargo, not passengers.

Last time, this has nothing to do with one way cruises, or the PVSA. The cruise contract mentions that if you deviate from the itinerary, there may be a fine, but then again there may not be.

In addition to the problems concisely outlined by "thinfool", there is a problem with the "just do it and don't tell anyone" scenario. You are planning on your return to be a cruise that starts in the US, and picks you up in Belize. Well, guess what, if you don't show up for embarkation in the US for this second cruise, you will forfeit your cabin, and there will not be one waiting for you when you show up at the pier in Belize. Also, as thinfool says, you will have to clear customs and immigration in and out of Belize, so you would have to arrange for these government folks to be available when you decide to show up to board.

The scenario is possible, and legal, but you cannot do it without informing the cruise line and getting their okay to do so. You will also pay full fare for two cruises. It is, however, highly unlikely to be granted.

The only time that I ever did anything close to not completing a cruise was back in 2004 when I sailed from San Juan and the last port was St. Thomas.

I was spending a month on St. John after the cruise and it made no sense to go back to San Juan and take a 30 minute flight back to St. Thomas the next day when the ferry to St. John was 20 minutes.

Initially. I was just going to get off the ship and not say anything but was informed there might be repercussions (fees and fines etc..)so I did it right.

I did have to get clearance from the cruise line at the time (Royal Carribean) to de-bark at St. Thomas so they knew they wouldn't be "missing a passenger" when they left port. I remember signing a form of some sort before leaving and did have to show proof that I was staying in the Virgin Islands after that cruise...

It wasn't a big deal back then but I haven't done it since...

Was on the dream year ago and a mom and daughter joined us in Honduras. She would stay in Florida and see family and then they cruise back to Honduras a month later. Said she did it on a regular basis. They were at our dining table.

say someone wanted to vacation for a week or so in Blize or Roatan Honduras and they boarded a cruise ship and sailed to that destination and then got off there to stay for their week or so. I’m sure you would inform them. Then they purchased another cruise and didn’t board in NOLA but instead wanted to board again from this location. Seems like if you get the right deal it could possibly be cheaper to cruise then fly there even paying for 2 cruises. Even if not what a way to travel. It’s probably even asked before and don’t get all why would you do that on me was just a crazy thought and was curious if it could be done or not.

Your title said it all.

I think you should just try it, and don't tell Carnival, and let us all know how it worked out.[/quote.

Lol that is awesome advice!!

To everyone else who are why would you do that people lol I was just asking if it were possible. I have not crunched the numbers but who would not wanna cruise ship to your destination instead of fly ?

Might have a heckuva time trying to leave whatever country you left the cruise ship for ....their Customs office might have a say in how you do it.

Due to a family funeral, I had to meet up with a Glory Journeys cruise in Antigua, rather than board it in Miami. I got my flight rescheduled and landed in St John's, Antigua the afternoon before the ship arrived. For staying just one day, I had to go through Antiguan Customs as I left that isle and entered the port area to board the ship..

Was on the dream year ago and a mom and daughter joined us in Honduras. She would stay in Florida and see family and then they cruise back to Honduras a month later. Said she did it on a regular basis. They were at our dining table.

“Years ago”. And she booked two entire cruises. Just got off and on I’m sure with permission

I think you should just try it, and don't tell Carnival, and let us all know how it worked out.

I would think that they would be stopped at trying to get off of the ship with luggage, etc.

You might want to retake that maritime law class, you weren't paying very good attention the first time around.

Lol, you're right! It looks like part I incorrectly referred to refers to foreign flagged ships taking passengers from one US port to another US port.

On my Glory cruise last week the fun times on the day we were in San Juan had disembarkation information so I assume people were allowed to disembark from SJ instead of doing the roundtrip back to Miami?

On my Glory cruise last week the fun times on the day we were in San Juan had disembarkation information so I assume people were allowed to disembark from SJ instead of doing the roundtrip back to Miami?

San Juan is exempt from the PVSA