Panicky Newbie Homebody Needs Help!

Maya1234

Let me just say upfront that I am NOT like the (almost) all of you on these boards. I'm not a big traveler and traveling makes me nervous. I LOVE being at home and have never been on a vacation no matter how good where I wasn't happier when my foot crossed my threshold. We've had to travel a good amount already this year to go visit our grown kids, but I had promised DH we would do more traveling when we were empty nesters and an Alaska cruise was on the top of his bucket list.

But we are leaving on the Bliss this coming Saturday (gulp!!). I have tried to prepare but am super nervous that I am forgetting things. We have never been on a cruise and often travel only by car so feel like I need some help from those of you who cruise all the time.

Here's what we have done besides the usual stuff one does to prepare for a normal vacation:

1. I have printed out all of the e-docs and have them in a folder in my carry-on/carry aboard bag along with our passports and my trusty travel first aid/medicine kit. What else should go in the carry aboard???

2. I received cruise luggage tags from NCL (we are going in the Haven so they sent us them...don't need to print out....I think???). I plan to keep them with me until the night before when we are at the hotel and then put them on so they don't get ripped during air travel. I just attach to a handle???

3. I have arranged for a car service between the Seattle airport and the Marriott Waterfront where we will stay the night before the cruise. It's my understanding that we can just walk over from their but may want to ask for a hotel porter to help us. What would be a good tip to give the porter? (I'm thinking $15 bucks for our 5 bags...appropriate???).

4. I am bringing cash and envelops for the butler and concierge. Anyone else I need to have a tip for?

5. I am bringing tea lights, a fan that plugs into a usb port, binoculars and straws (I can't drink cold drinks without a straw because of sensitivity). What else would I need that is 'cruise specific'....that is to say something one wouldn't bring on another type of vacation?

6. I have made reservations for Havana and Jersey Boys and 3 nights of specialty dining. The rest of the time we plan to do the Haven (2 nights) the Buffet (one night....to experience it) and eat out (in Canada). I have a spa pass. DH has no interest. I have excursions planned in every stop. Will I need to make other show reservations on board?? Where do people usually eat lunch?

7. What else do I need to think about? TIA.

Hi and welcome to the world of cruising!

I cannot comment about anything specific to your company (such as tickets, boarding etc) or your port of departure (such as tipping porters) as I have never cruised with NCL. However, I can comment about q5 -

Battery powered tea lights will be fine but naked flames are not usually allowed to be taken on board. Fire is the single thing that most sailors fear the most!

I would previously have said not to worry about taking straws as they were provided - but many lines are doing away with plastic straws so it is probably best to take your own as they are important to you.

Your carry-on should contain all valuables, medications etc. You might not get your luggage until the evening, so many people put a swimsuit or change of clothes in their carry-on.

Have you joined the 'roll call' for your cruise? This would allow you to meet people who will be on board at the same time as you.

I think you're pretty ready!

You may not get your luggage until that night, run through embarkation day in your head. Will you want to swim, hot tub, book to read, game to play etc. Keep anything out that you'll want.

Definitely keep your Haven tags off until the last minute. They're pretty tough but no need to risk them getting ripped off. I always wait until I'm leaving for port to attach mine.

Tip sounds good, unless your luggage is somehow unusual (large, heavy, unruly, etc.) We tip $2-$3 per bag.

Pretty much everyone else is covered by your DCS for tips. However, we always tip our room steward cash in addition to the DSC. So for Haven, we would tip concierge, butler, and room steward.

One important thing! Unless your tea lights are battery powered, they will be confiscated. Fire is the biggest threat on a ship so anything with an open flame is strictly prohibited. I would recommend a wind breaker / rain slicker. It can be quite rainy in Alaska and chilly even in summer.

As far as dining, I would skip the buffet for dinner personally. Try it out for breakfast or lunch and have another specialty or Haven night. The Haven menu doesn't change so, maybe specialty. There are LOTS of great options.

Most importantly, try and relax and have fun. Vacation is 99.99% attitude. If you relax and are determined to have a nice time, you will. Enjoy!!!

From the looks of things you have it all covered! From my memory, the Marriott is across the street (wide with heavy traffic) and maybe 100-200 yards or so down from the Bell Street terminal, so with that number of bags, if you've got confirmation from the hotel that their staff will help you get there, you'll definitely want it. $3 a bag is reasonable. Then transfer your bags (with NCL tags) to a pier porter. They're usually pretty good at helping you navigate where to go next and you might want to tip a few bucks too.

When you get to the pier building doors, look for signage that says suite guests, you'll have a different line than non-suite passengers. They take you into a nice waiting area.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Forums mobile app

Aaahhh The Haven...love it!

Since you are in the Haven...your luggage will most likely arrive shortly after lunch. We've done the Haven twice and our bags were by our door shortly after lunch.

We generally also tip our room steward.

Pack anything of value in your carry on bag....meds, Jewelry, cash, camera etc.

Since you are in the Haven you also get the bene of having lunch in the Haven restaurant.

Enjoy!!

Let me just say upfront that I am NOT like the (almost) all of you on these boards. I'm not a big traveler and traveling makes me nervous. I LOVE being at home and have never been on a vacation no matter how good where I wasn't happier when my foot crossed my threshold. We've had to travel a good amount already this year to go visit our grown kids, but I had promised DH we would do more traveling when we were empty nesters and an Alaska cruise was on the top of his bucket list.

But we are leaving on the Bliss this coming Saturday (gulp!!). I have tried to prepare but am super nervous that I am forgetting things. We have never been on a cruise and often travel only by car so feel like I need some help from those of you who cruise all the time.

Here's what we have done besides the usual stuff one does to prepare for a normal vacation:

1. I have printed out all of the e-docs and have them in a folder in my carry-on/carry aboard bag along with our passports and my trusty travel first aid/medicine kit. What else should go in the carry aboard???

2. I received cruise luggage tags from NCL (we are going in the Haven so they sent us them...don't need to print out....I think???). I plan to keep them with me until the night before when we are at the hotel and then put them on so they don't get ripped during air travel. I just attach to a handle???

3. I have arranged for a car service between the Seattle airport and the Marriott Waterfront where we will stay the night before the cruise. It's my understanding that we can just walk over from their but may want to ask for a hotel porter to help us. What would be a good tip to give the porter? (I'm thinking $15 bucks for our 5 bags...appropriate???).

4. I am bringing cash and envelops for the butler and concierge. Anyone else I need to have a tip for?

5. I am bringing tea lights, a fan that plugs into a usb port, binoculars and straws (I can't drink cold drinks without a straw because of sensitivity). What else would I need that is 'cruise specific'....that is to say something one wouldn't bring on another type of vacation?

6. I have made reservations for Havana and Jersey Boys and 3 nights of specialty dining. The rest of the time we plan to do the Haven (2 nights) the Buffet (one night....to experience it) and eat out (in Canada). I have a spa pass. DH has no interest. I have excursions planned in every stop. Will I need to make other show reservations on board?? Where do people usually eat lunch?

For lunch, the Haven restaurant is GREAT! I, personally, would not eat in the buffet if the Haven restaurant was available to me, but go for it if you want to mix things up a bit!

Thanks all! Yes, the tea lights are the battery powered ones. Lol! I wouldn't bring real flames to a hotel let alone on a ship!

But as to this "My one tip:DO. NOT. OVER. PACK."

Can I legitimately ask why? As a homebody having, well home stuff, is super important to me. I definitely tend to pack a lot of things (we are flying first so we get 4 suitcases between us, PLUS 2 carry ons).

What is the downside of "over packing"? Is there some reason that it's a problem on a cruise?

I usually do a change of cloths and anything valuable along with my wife’s medications. Obviously you will need your Edocs and what not so make sure you can store them away in the bag

Yes. Just put them on the handle before you drop them with the porter. Or the night before after your flight.

Can’t answer about the location, but your tip sounds appropriate

If you prepaid your tips you will not need anything thing else unless you like to tip extra for good service. I normally bring some $1s for tipping at the bar (I like to make the bartender remember me to get faster service on busy days), and room service. Your butler and concierge will also be cash but sounds like you have that covered.

I always bring some sort of refillable cut for water. I use a 32 oz Nalgene bottle and just fill it at one of the water stations on board. Remember, bottled water is not covered by the UBP

If you’re in the haven I would dump the buffet night for dinner and enjoy the haven restaurant. The food we had there was fantastic on the Getaway. The menu did not change but they did have nightly specials. You can always go peak at the menu and the specials before dinner and make a last minute call about the buffet vs haven

As far as your excursions, print out your reservations and bring that with you. Just to document the booking and if something happens you have it to fall back on.

7. What else do I need to think about?

I once had a coach tell me that preparation is the key to success. So I try my best to prepare everything ahead of time if possible. But know that things will change and you should be flexible to those changes. Enjoy your cruise! I look forward to hearing about the Bliss!! Take lots of pictures and ENJOY!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks all! Yes, the tea lights are the battery powered ones. Lol! I wouldn't bring real flames to a hotel let alone on a ship!

Can I legitimately ask why? As a homebody having, well home stuff, is super important to me. I definitely tend to pack a lot of things (we are flying first so we get 4 suitcases between us, PLUS 2 carry ons).

What is the downside of "over packing"? Is there some reason that it's a problem on a cruise?

Don't let the "dont overpack " advice stop you from bringing anything you feel you might need. Especially if you're not a super relaxed traveler. If you can afford the weight for air travel, take as much as you want.

Once you've been on board you might find yourself saying "I didn't need to bring that." But no big deal. If there isn't room to unpack it all, it can stay in the suitcase. We usually end up with one on the couch acting as an additional "dresser."

I just find the more bags I have to handle, the more frustrating it can be. I travel with 1 carry on bag...period...the Bride is the same...

The only downside to overpacking (4 suitcases plus carryons) that I can see is lugging all the luggage. Personally I could do one suitcase for shoes alone. :)

I also fly f/c these day....so much nicer. Especially on long flights.

Have fun and just enjoy that Haven experience.

Thanks to all of you above who have been kind enough to answer all my newbie-ignorant questions! I do plan to do a trip report. Hopefully live-ish. Tentative title “A Homebody goes to Haven”.
If there's time after you get to the hotel, dont pass on the chance to go up to the Pike Place market. It's worth a visit. If you dont feel like dinner at the Marriott's restaurant, Ivars Acres of Clams across the street or Anthony's Homeport a little further down (but still walkable) are both good.

Thanks to all of you above who have been kind enough to answer all my newbie-ignorant questions! I do plan to do a trip report. Hopefully live-ish. Tentative title “A Homebody goes to Haven”.

Can't wait to see the Haven on the Bliss and your review. :)

Make sure you read up on all the bene's you have being in the Haven.

Any prescription medicine should be in carry-on as well as anything of value. (ipads, phones, computers, jewelry).

Raincoat and or umbrella may come in handy. We went to Alaska on the Sun around this same time. My favorite cruise out of all so far....

I usually do a change of cloths and anything valuable along with my wife’s medications. Obviously you will need your Edocs and what not so make sure you can store them away in the bag

Yes. Just put them on the handle before you drop them with the porter. Or the night before after your flight.

Can’t answer about the location, but your tip sounds appropriate

If you prepaid your tips you will not need anything thing else unless you like to tip extra for good service. I normally bring some $1s for tipping at the bar (I like to make the bartender remember me to get faster service on busy days), and room service. Your butler and concierge will also be cash but sounds like you have that covered.

I always bring some sort of refillable cut for water. I use a 32 oz Nalgene bottle and just fill it at one of the water stations on board. Remember, bottled water is not covered by the UBP

If you’re in the haven I would dump the buffet night for dinner and enjoy the haven restaurant. The food we had there was fantastic on the Getaway. The menu did not change but they did have nightly specials. You can always go peak at the menu and the specials before dinner and make a last minute call about the buffet vs haven

As far as your excursions, print out your reservations and bring that with you. Just to document the booking and if something happens you have it to fall back on.

7. What else do I need to think about?

I once had a coach tell me that preparation is the key to success. So I try my best to prepare everything ahead of time if possible. But know that things will change and you should be flexible to those changes. Enjoy your cruise! I look forward to hearing about the Bliss!! Take lots of pictures and ENJOY!!

The butler and concierge in the haven are not part of the DSC, she is right to tip them separately.

The butler and concierge in the haven are not part of the DSC, she is right to tip them separately.

That’s why I said what I said. She already had that covered with her plan to bring envelopes and cash.

Although I agree the Haven is much nicer to eat at than the buffet, there are things on the buffet not in the Haven. Our Alaska cruise had a kind of soup/noodle station where you picked what you wanted. Check it out one day after the lunch crowd to see if there’s anything that appeals to you.

I wouldn’t have dinner there though except after a long tour day.

Otherwise I think you have everything covered.

You should also keep all prescription medicine, cameras, phones, and other electronic devices with you. If you want you can take a change of clothes, but it is not necessary unless you might want to change for dinner.

Sounds perfect.

You might want to reconsider the amount of the gratuity depending on how far they have to walk to help you. This is different than just tipping a porter who takes your bag and throws them on a luggage cart.

Just leave the DSC (daily service charge) alone. Anything that you pay for on the ship will have any necessary gratuities added, except for the butler and concierge.

IMO the tea lights and fan are over kill, but if you want them that is fine. Just make sure that anything you bring is battery powered or electrical. No open flames and no devices that heat up like steamers.

In AK, take advantage of some of the wonderful local restaurants ashore for lunch. If you want to eat on the ship at lunch time it is going to impact your enjoyment of the ports.

I suggest that you consider an OTC sea sickness preventative like Bonine. The first and last days at sea can be bouncy at times.

I made some comments above.

If you think you’ll use room service dollar bills would be helpful but not required.

!

Incorrect.

The OP’s butler will serve all in-room meals on a white tablecloth. The butler should be tipped $10-$15 per person I. Room per day of cruise and it will cover all in-room dining.

I am a total over-packer. I bring the entire medicine cabinet an fill up a shoe organizer in the cabin with all my supplies. I try not to overdo it on the clothes as I do the laundry special midweek. If you don't care about having 5 bags then don't listen to what anyone else says.