Curtis Stone restaurant replace Sabitinis?

Little Rascal

We loved our dinner at Share on the Ruby in December. Much preferred it to the Crown Grill (actually our least favorite specialty restaurant on all the lines we have been on). We are looking forward to going back to Share the next time we are on a ship with the restaurant.

Our Pacific Coastal cruise on Ruby coming up in September will be the last cruise before a drydock period for Ruby. Share will be closed for the cruise. Speculation is that it is being turned back into Sabatini's.

On the same cruise. Today I was able to book Share, and the menu now shows cover of 29.00. Perhaps premature to forecast a change of venue?

I wonder if Princess ever considered doing what Holland America does--turning one of the specialty restaurants into a different restaurant one night during the cruise. When we sailed, it was an Evening at Le Cirque. I hear they now have a Taste of De Librije. That way the people who enjoy dining at Sabatini's would get the opportunity to do so, and the apparently fewer people who enjoy trying more modern cuisine would also get to do so.

It's actually called "Sabatini's Italian Trattoria"

sabatinis-header-1600.jpg

You can review this for yourself on the princess web site:

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/specialty-restaurants/sabatinis-italian-trattoria/

Actually....;), this is only true for the ships where the format has changed to the new menu. The existing name on most ships is still Sabatini's. But what's in a name? :D

Share is probably not for everyone, since six courses are served then the dining experience will average about two hours. The entire idea of Share is to have the diners order different choices on each course and "Share" them with each other. It is more of a sampling or tasting experience rather than a traditional meal.

We found that Curtis Stone's hallmark is to make seemingly unmatched ingredients into very interesting combinations of each dish. One of the most Interesting and flavorful dishes was the pork raviolis, the filling had a faintly Indian curry taste with a thai lemongrass sauce with pork chicharrones completing the dish. That is a very different spin on a traditional Italian dish. Presentation of each dish was outstanding as obviously it was prepared with care and thought.

It is not a traditional meal as most of us think of, but a more sophisticated dining experience.

Happy Cruising

One last thing about Share versus Crown. The Crown Grill is tradional. For many people, going out to a steak house is the height of dining. Princess being a largely traditional cruiseline attracts these kinds of customers.

Share is closer to a fine dining restaurant where the chef is Michelin starred. That means the presentations, ingredients, and combinations are not typical. I'm an adventurous diner, and I love trying new things. If Share isn't as popular as the steak house, it's not because it isn't good. On the contrary, it competed with the finer restaurants I've eaten in all over the world. It's just that the typical Princess cruiser isn't a foodie.

I'm with you! Haven't had the opportunity to try Share, but I certainly would even without ever seeing the menu. I don't think of myself as a "foodie" but I love good food and I like most everything and enjoy trying new dishes!

The Crown Grill has a nice atmosphere and generally good service. The steaks are good but the portions are so large! Once we get passed the apps, we can't even finish the steaks and desserts tend to be shared just to get a "taste" of the offerings. Last 2 times at CG, I got the sea bass once and the lamb chops the next....both were excellent and the portions were more reasonable. Somehow I didn't get too "stuffed" and was able to enjoy a creme brûlée for dessert.

That was the Butter Poached Lobster Tail with roasted potatoes and crispy pancetta in a white onion Soubise sauce.

It was back when there was 6 courses and it was an appetizer type.

I can tell you that it was absolutely tremendous! Very flavorful!

Looks good to me!

I would rather do several small plates than 3 gigantic courses. Most times you just need a taste and not the whole thing. Love tapas restaurants for that very reason!

Interesting how different experiences could be- we went to Share on the Ruby and we were really looking forward to it- some of the reviews have been great. We are pretty adventurous and really not picky (except for fish needing to be cooked properly, not a fan of overcooked fish- luckily Princess usually does a pretty good job with fish). We went and there were only a few other people there the whole evening. Everything was very pretty, but most of it was just okay. My husband had to send back a shrimp dish as it was inedible (first time we've ever had to send back a dish on Princess) The best thing we had was the Cavatelli which I would happily have had a huge bowl of for an entrée (minus the tough gnocchi in it- but the rest of it was really amazing). Other customers were very vocal about being disappointed in the restaurant as well so it might have been an off night.

Now I will say the one time we tried Crown Grill (on the Grand) we thought it was just an okay steak house along the lines of Black Angus or other large chain- although I did love the smoked salt. Sabatinis on the Grand however was outstanding but at least part of that was that on the Grand it is run by Franco and his staff and they are amazing! If you really want something great though the Chef's table is a must try at least once.

Agree with all your points, although we haven't been to "Share".

I'm not picky at all...I like most foods but I don't eat just what is put in front of me....the food should be well prepared, flavorful, fresh and visually appealing.

Some people think plentiful giant portions make for a good meal and if that is what makes them happy, great! For me, I would rather smaller portions with great taste.

We absolutely enjoyed the Share on the Ruby and we realize we are not in the majority but it is their loss. The service is above and beyond the Crown Grill. The portions are small but tastefully prepared. I felt it to be 5 Star.

Current menu? - or does it change on a regular basis?

we ate at Share a few years ago now , shortly after it opened as I remember , and didn't really care for the menu at that time

lots of vibration that night - maybe 1/3 full, including a 10-12 party look like celebrating a birthday

We ate at both on the Ruby last summer. I was underwhelmed by the Crown Grill. The atmosphere was tradional, and my steak was fatty. The sides were served family style— a sloppy plate of food delivered to the center of the table, and our special oyster appetizer featured shellfish which wasn't fresh. Service wasn't personable.

Share, on the other hand, was a breath of fresh air. The atmosphere was modern and clean with beautiful aft-facing windows. The food was some of the best I've ever had on a cruise, and the service was fantastic. I've included photos from food at Share below. e6179eb74da431323d805a179c3fc8f0.jpg5fec80f4afad3634dd08c47722229f4b.jpg8ddefb05fc49c8032ae1a7d4f5060b7d.jpg3001e88c89d804825905e92fbe018b02.jpg409ff98cad3364ebdc5fd1cd75d9db94.jpgf1812bddd955c114800442489bc0b216.jpg

Loved the duck at Share.

Food is so subjective. We went to Share on the Emerald in March and loved it. Great food and service. Unfortunately it was pretty quiet so not sure how well it’s doing. I have found over the years the specialty steak houses on ships have slipped somewhat, can be a bit meh, and aren’t worth what they charge. But again, so subjective.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The steak on Princess can be quite variable. On a cruise a few years ago we had filet in the MDR, at the Crown Grill and the Chef’s Table. In order of quality from best to worst was the MDR, the Chef’s Table, and bringing up the rear the Crown Grill. Go figure [emoji848]

I had skipped prime rib in the MDR for several years because of quality issues but last November on the Ruby I tried it again and it was some of the best I have had, even on land.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Current menu? - or does it change on a regular basis?

we ate at Share a few years ago now , shortly after it opened as I remember , and didn't really care for the menu at that time

lots of vibration that night - maybe 1/3 full, including a 10-12 party look like celebrating a birthday

The menu has not changed since it was introduced in Nov. 2016.

I have noticed the vibration in SHARE on both the Ruby Princess and the Emerald Princess. It can be pretty comical. Last April/May we were seated at the same table two different evenings. The vibration caused a wine glass on the (unused) table next to us to "walk" across the surface. I reached over a couple times to reposition it so that it did not fall on the floor. I once used my cell phone to take a video of my knife vibrating on the table top.

OK, it was Emerald, 2016... and I sure don't remember the lobster and scallops, or even the strip steak pieces

the duck was good...

I may have been a bit imprecise in my previous post. We celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary on October 23. 2016 on the Ruby Princess. That date is quite fixed in my brain. On that cruise we had dinner at SHARE on three evenings. We developed a rapport with the staff and the headwaiter, and, over the course of our three visits, we learned that the our cruise was the last for the then current SHARE menu. As we were leaving on the final night of the cruise, the headwaiter handed me a copy of the new menu. I still have it. October 29, 2016, embarkation day of the cruise after ours, that new menu was rolled out in SHARE on the Ruby Princess. It is the same as is posted on the Princess.com web site.

I really do not know when the new menu was introduced on the Emerald Princess. It may have coincided with the roll-out on the Ruby Princess. It may have been sooner, or it may have been later,

I can report that in the last five months I have dined in SHARE on both the Ruby Princess and the Emerald Princess and in both rooms the menu was the same as is currently posted on Princess.com.

Also, I have in my archives a copy of the "old" SHARE menu. It does include a "Twice Cooked Duck" Main Course. Is that the one that you recall? Also, though, there is a "Butter Poached Lobster" Main. I don't see scallops anywhere.

We absolutely enjoyed the Share on the Ruby and we realize we are not in the majority but it is their loss. The service is above and beyond the Crown Grill. The portions are small but tastefully prepared. I felt it to be 5 Star.

We (a family group of 6 adults and a 3 1/2 year old) went to Share last week on the Ruby. Between us we tried just about every selection in every course (https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/curtis-stone/SHARE-by-Curtis-Stone-Menu.pdf). We all thought the food was incredible and the best my husband and I have had on over 20 Princess cruises. Service was excellent and the restaurant was about 1/2 full when we left (we had 5:30 reservations).

I have noticed the vibration in SHARE on both the Ruby Princess and the Emerald Princess. It can be pretty comical. Last April/May we were seated at the same table two different evenings. The vibration caused a wine glass on the (unused) table next to us to "walk" across the surface. I reached over a couple times to reposition it so that it did not fall on the floor. I once used my cell phone to take a video of my knife vibrating on the table top.

The vibration was so bad at last week's dinner (while we were still in port) that after sitting at the table for about 3 minutes we all said to each other that we either needed a new table or would cancel the reservation. Luckily there was another large table nearby that didn't vibrate nearly as much. The difference? It was placed on carpeting while the first table was on wood or vinyl planks. One waiter tried to tell us it was normal anywhere on the aft of the ship. I replied - very politely - that we had eaten at Sabatinis on the Ruby Princess for both breakfast and dinner on a number of cruises and never had that issue. In addition, our cabins are always aft and while we sometimes experienced some vibrations it was nothing like this. We had one other complaint about the new furnishings -- the back of the arm chairs were too low and cut across the small of your back. Our 6' 5" son in law especially felt it but so did others of us who ranged in height from 5'6 to 5'9".