My robot bartender want a tip??

I am constantly amazed at the sheer number of complaints of cruise companies only "out to make money and fleece us poor cruisers" You know what the tipping policy is, if you don't want to abide by it then the solution is easy, don't go on a cruise!!

Yeah, either role over and take it or run away with your tail between your legs. Great way to go through life I guess but just not the way my father raised me.

Re: Tipping for the soda package.

The gratuity is added to all soda packages.

Not all ships have the freestyle machines. ("vending machines")

Not everyone who wants a soda uses the machines, even when they are available.

You can get your soda from...………………..a real live person. A bartender. A human being.

Thus, gratuities are added to the soda package.

Re: Tipping for the soda package.

The gratuity is added to all soda packages.

Not all ships have the freestyle machines. ("vending machines")

Not everyone who wants a soda uses the machines, even when they are available.

You can get your soda from...………………..a real live person. A bartender. A human being.

Thus, gratuities are added to the soda package.

Bottom line is that a gratuity is added to almost everything that has a charge unless it is sold in one of the retail shops. Internet and excursions are the few exceptions that I can think of.

Likely most of us on this forum are fairly experienced cruisers. How do you not know that gratuities are extra? If you don't want to tip the bionic bar, don't use the bionic bar.

A lot of talk is "why not just factor the service charge into the price of the cruise." Well, some cruise lines do that. Regent includes drinks, shore excursions, specialty dining, and gratuities. In fact you can not tip anyone on the ship. If you want to add extra you can make a donation to the Crew Morale and Welfare fund ONLY. BUT, here's the discussion.... what if you don't go on shore excursions? "Why should I have to pay for a shore excursion in my cruise fare when I don't use them?" What if you don't drink? "Why should I have to pay for drinks when I don't drink?" What if you don't use Specialty Dining? "Why should I have to pay for Specialty Dining when I don't use it?" What if you're unhappy about the service and want to reduce your tips? "WAIT NO TIPS???? But I'm unhappy with service! Why should I have to pay for service I'm unhappy with?"

I'm not "lining up to tip a machine." But I'm not obsessing over a few dollars either. I buy bottled water on the ship because I've decided it just isn't worth my time and effort to bring it on board. We have it waiting in our cabin on boarding day. Yes we pay 18% tip... I just order the water, use the bottom line, divide it by the number of bottles we order and you have the cost of water. Same with a drink.

Cruising is all about the bottom line. Everyone whines that sales aren't sales, etc. Just figure the bottom line. Easy... you'll pay your cabin fare, port charges, PLUS $14.95 per day per person service charge. Prepay your tips..... NOW you've factored the tips into the cost of the cruise. In fact, buy the drink package, prepay for shore excursions, and prepay for specialty dining. NOW you've REALLY factored in the everything into the price of the cruise. But wait.... I don't drink.... so guess what? MY cruise just got $60 per day per person CHEAPER! Are you sure you want everything included in the price with no option? POSITIVE???

Edited by papaflamingo

We were frequent users of the bionic bar on Ovation. Yes, there is an attendant whose job includes restocking. It also includes showing people how to use the iPads to order, wiping the bar down, scheduling the ‘dance’ displays and chatting to customers like any other bartender would. It was our favourite bar and Jason was our favourite bartender of the entire trip.

Thanks for that insight, I haven't been on the Quantum class yet, but expect to see a Bionic Bar on Symphony.

Maybe I missed it but has anyone mentioned that when they stocked the mini-fridges they charged a gratuity on anything you took? Why then would you not expect to pay a gratuity for a machine to make you a drink?

Maybe I missed it but has anyone mentioned that when they stocked the mini-fridges they charged a gratuity on anything you took? Why then would you not expect to pay a gratuity for a machine to make you a drink?

At least the machines have not yet been know to produce erroneous charges for unused items like the minicoolers did.