HAL bread is not very interesting

SeaBands

:p

Question- is the white bread sweet? In Australia it istbut when we travel to Asia it’s very sweet. Don’t like sweet white bread for breakfast- especially with eggs

The bread basket at dinner is great. It is not sweet like a lot of bread in US or Asia. In the Lido you can always find nice bread also.

We found Cunard’s bread vastly inferior to HAL’s, in terms of both taste and selection. You don’t get a bread basket in Britannia - they quickly offer bread before service and that’s it.

....caused by over consumption of raisin buns! :evilsmile:

Roz

Roz, have we met. My first raisin roll on HAL was in 1982 when I was a slim. Now 36 years later and 100's of rolls later has taken it's roll, I mean toll. :D

Sincerely, RedneckBob, formerly Slim Pickens

Question- is the white bread sweet? In Australia it istbut when we travel to Asia it’s very sweet. Don’t like sweet white bread for breakfast- especially with eggs

All white toast with eggs I have had onboard has been what I would call normal bread akin to sandwich bread, not sweet.

DH one morning came back to complain about the terrible french toast he just had at the Lido buffet. Only to learn later he had pointed to and gotten the English-style breakfast fried bread.

Roz, have we met. My first raisin roll on HAL was in 1982 when I was a slim. Now 36 years later and 100's of rolls later has taken it's roll, I mean toll. :D

Sincerely, RedneckBob, formerly Slim Pickens

We may not have met in person, but are kindred spirits. I started cruising with HAL in 2001, but don't know when I discovered the raisin buns. Sometimes you're better off not knowing about certain things. ;p

On one cruise, I would have a raisin bun in the MDR for breakfast, and then an hour or two later I was foraging in the Lido for another one. :oI had to do a self-intervention. :eek:

Roz

We may not have met in person, but are kindred spirits. I started cruising with HAL in 2001, but don't know when I discovered the raisin buns. Sometimes you're better off not knowing about certain things. ;p

On one cruise, I would have a raisin bun in the MDR for breakfast, and then an hour or two later I was foraging in the Lido for another one. :oI had to do a self-intervention. :eek:

Roz

Sail with me Roz and I promise to eat them all before you even get up in the morning. None left, no temptations.

I love the bread on the HAL ships! I don’t care for variety. I just discovered the raisin bun served in the lido at breakfast and wished I had tried it earlier on my 4 other cruises. I enjoy ensayma (spelling?) bread. On the recent cruise on the Maasdam, it was the best ever. The bread was fluffy, not dry and right amount of flavor. I also like the plain dinner rolls served in the main dining room and canneletto. I had heard a few years ago on a kitchen tour that they make all the bread on board from scratch except for bagels and sliced bread. If it’s not true now, I can’t tell the difference!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ensaymada from the Philippines. Great flavour, good with mild cheese.

This is a salt stick from the Crystal Serenity (upper left quadrant):

dishes0109.jpg

You can kind of see some large crystals of salt scattered around the crust. One difference between HAL and Crystal is that there's no bread on the table; instead the waiters bring it around and use tongs to place a piece of bread on your plate. There are usually about 3 or 4 varieties of bread to choose among; some are there every day while others rotate in and out. I will usually choose perhaps one salt stick or so per week.

Roy

Thanks, Roy for the description and pic. Will have to try one sometime...

QUESTION: So in Italy, if you are given bread, you just eat it dry? Or save it to sop up sauces, etc.? Just wondering.

In Italy and France it is common to eat bread without butter or dipping oil. But the bread is often so delicious that it does well on its own.

Hank

I think HAL's breads are delicious with plenty of variety for my tastes. The croissants are delicious!!!!

Uh-oh.... I never noticed the croissants, couldn't see past the raisin buns. Now I'm really in trouble. LOL Both our Publix and Fresh Market sell pretty good croissants, causing the bathroom scale to read out all sorts of unwanted numbers. ;p

Uh-oh.... I never noticed the croissants, couldn't see past the raisin buns. Now I'm really in trouble. LOL Both our Publix and Fresh Market sell pretty good croissants, causing the bathroom scale to read out all sorts of unwanted numbers. ;p

Public Bakery is a menace to the waistline. Just walking past in the am without stopping is a feat of strength and will. They a and Fresh Market both have the kids free cookie program so we always have to stop. I think it's like a dealer giving you your first hit for free... get them hooked young then they will never pass by the Public Bakery without some marble chocolate chip pound cake or a loaf of white mountain bread. :p Be forwarned, I have had HAL 's croissants. They are comparable.:D

My hips begs to differ! On our first HA cruise, there was a couple who got to the table way before everyone else, and he would empty the bread basket. My favourite part of any meal is the bread, and it ticked me off. I was the one who always asked for another basket for the table of 6 people (which he would dig into as well). One night I said to my husband, I am going to get there before they do, and take two rolls right away. That's what I did, and when they got there, he said to me, "oh, you got here before us". YEP!

We had some excellent tasting tomato basil bread at dinner last night aboard Nieuw Amsterdam.

This message may have been drafted using voice recognition. Please forgive any typos.

It is only bread. It is hardly going to make or break the cruise if the crust is hard, soft, whatever.

Agree with you, but at least one poster on this thread has already said that the perceived bad quality of the bread onboard would be a deal breaker for them (believe it or not).. :o