What was your upgrade offer and what did you bid

CCHelp

I’ve only been on two cruises, both with fairly large groups, so upgrades were never offered or considered. When they happen, does the cruiseline contact you with an offer? Is it done prior to departure or when you are checking in at the cruise line? And you “bid” on them? How exactly does that work? We have a balcony on NCL Bliss this tiime.

You should receive the offer to upgrade as an email approximately 80 days prior to sailing. You will have the opportunity to bid on staterooms within two "metas" of your own. So if you are in an inside, you can bid on ocean view and balcony. If you are in an ocean view, you can bid on balcony and mini-suite. The caveat being that if you are in a balcony or above, you will have the opportunity to bid on individual Haven categories rather than the Haven meta as a whole.

When you receive the email, for each upgrade option, you will be able to bid within a range. There will be a minimum and maximum bid for each category and you can bid anywhere within that range. A little dial/meter will help you gauge whether your bid is "poor, fair, good, or strong". You will be competing with everyone else on your sailing who may be bidding for upgrades to the same category. Bids are *usually* processed within a week of sailing. Sometimes you will hear of bids being accepted far in advance of the sailing, but that is rare. Typically they are processed 4-5 days prior to sailing and they can be processed as late as 48 hours before sailing. Personally, I received acceptance of my latest upgrade bid about 50 hours prior to sailing.

• Like 1

Rather than the balcony sticking out from the ships superstructure and having a railing, the balcony is contained within the ship and the rail is steel and solid. The view out is through an opening in the ships structure.

ccf9f3b6b6fe732ade0c5a2faf5a5ce1.jpg

56d6151f8a486600acaadba1ca48b94d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe the privasea (or hull or enclosed) balcony photo you posted is from the Epic, not the Pearl. The Epic has two different types of hull balcony, neither of which I would want. The hull cutout in both are too high to see over when sitting down but in one type the opening is wider than the other.

The Jewel ships Pearl, Star, Gem and Jade and the Dawn and the Star have much better privasea balconies. Here is a youtube video of 10008 on the Pearl. The hull opening is wider and deeper than on the Epic. You can sit on the balcony and enjoy the view. Some people use the lower ledge as a drink holder or foot rest. I think this type of balcony would be great for Alaska or rainier weather cruise or for those that don't like their neighbors peering around the balcony divider.

This is 12015 on the Epic. I would NOT like this.

Sorry the links aren't clickable..... you'll need to copy and paste into your browser.

If your bid gets declined, can you bid again? Also what do you think would be a good bid going from a ocean view (OK) category, to a mini suite. Minimum bid is 50. Going on the Gem end of July.

I do not believe you can re-bid once it is declined, but I will let others comment based on their experiences. I do know you can adjust your bid(s) before they make the decisions, as I have already done that on two bids. Bids are really dependent on how many mini-suites are available (try doing a fake reservation), how many people in the lower categories are able to bid, etc. I simply bid what I am comfortable spending and hope luck is on my side. If not, I am very happy with the cabin we already have booked.

If your bid gets declined, can you bid again? Also what do you think would be a good bid going from a ocean view (OK) category, to a mini suite. Minimum bid is 50. Going on the Gem end of July.

Usually you won't receive your "bid has been declined" until final bids are processed close to 48 hours from sailing. While I have heard of people having bids *accepted* much further out, I have never heard of people having bids *declined* before more than a couple of days out. At that point, bidding will be closed for your sailing.

As GA Dave said, you can change your bid any time up to the point where it is processed. So if you are going for a mini-suite, I would suggest doing a "mock booking" to see what mini-suites are currently still available. As inventory dwindles, you may want to bump up your bid. But definitely only bid what you are comfortable with. An ideal bid would be in a range where you will be happy if you win because you get the upgrade, and happy if you lose because you'll have the money to spend on something else. Also, be sure your bid doesn't push you into a total price that would be higher than had you just booked the mini-suite outright to begin with!

Anyone receive an upgrade offer yet for the Escape trip out of NYC to Bermuda coming up this Sunday, 7/8/18? We made an offer but have not received a response yet.

We are too! And no I have bid on two Haven rooms and not received anything yet either. Haven is showing as sold out so I am not holding out much hope.

I believe the privasea (or hull or enclosed) balcony photo you posted is from the Epic, not the Pearl. The Epic has two different types of hull balcony, neither of which I would want. The hull cutout in both are too high to see over when sitting down but in one type the opening is wider than the other.

The Jewel ships Pearl, Star, Gem and Jade and the Dawn and the Star have much better privasea balconies. Here is a youtube video of 10008 on the Pearl. The hull opening is wider and deeper than on the Epic. You can sit on the balcony and enjoy the view. Some people use the lower ledge as a drink holder or foot rest. I think this type of balcony would be great for Alaska or rainier weather cruise or for those that don't like their neighbors peering around the balcony divider.

This is 12015 on the Epic. I would NOT like this.

Sorry the links aren't clickable..... you'll need to copy and paste into your browser.

I have never heard of this before. Are these rooms that people who pay for a "guaranteed" balcony get? If so, I would not be happy with those either, if I thought I was getting a "real" balcony. Is this a separate category?

I have never heard of this before. Are these rooms that people who pay for a "guaranteed" balcony get? If so, I would not be happy with those either, if I thought I was getting a "real" balcony. Is this a separate category?

If you get a Sail Away Balcony, you could end up with one of these. If you get a GTY in a specific category that includes these, then yes, you could end up with them as well. That's why it's always good to do your research on the ship and deck plans prior to booking. Not all ships have this style of Balcony, just have to do your research.

Just upgraded to The Haven!!!! So excited!! Actually saved $$$ by doing a direct upgrade instead of my bid. :D

Yayayayay! Congrats to you! I assume prices dropped quite a bit.

Edited by JamieLogical

Yayayayay! Congrats to you! I assume prices drop quite a bit.

Yes, it dropped $500/person overnight. With the extra OBC and cruise excursion credit we received, plus free internet, it was about $400 less than the bids we had placed, grats, taxes and fees included! We got the Haven Courtyard Penthouse with Balcony, 16710. There are still (14) of those available.

Yes, it dropped $500/person overnight. With the extra OBC and cruise excursion credit we received, plus free internet, it was about $400 less than the bids we had placed, grats, taxes and fees included! We got the Haven Courtyard Penthouse with Balcony, 16710. There are still (14) of those available.

Congrats and enjoy!!! Can't wait to hear how your experience was

So just a curiosity question...just this week booked a mini on the Escape leaving 9/2/18 & the Haven has been "sold out" for a little while now (at least 2 weeks & past final payment)...so why would I get 5 different Haven category bid offers ?

Not new to cruising but only our second trip on NCL so trying to get some understanding on all the "biding" :confused:

TIA :D

So just a curiosity question...just this week booked a mini on the Escape leaving 9/2/18 & the Haven has been "sold out" for a little while now (at least 2 weeks & past final payment)...so why would I get 5 different Haven category bid offers ?

Not new to cruising but only our second trip on NCL so trying to get some understanding on all the "biding" :confused:

They take bids in case people cancel, etc. It happens more often than people think.

Allowing bids for sold out categories has multiple advantages for NCL. First, in case there are any last-minute cancellations, they can make additional money. Second, they get very valuable data on which to base future pricing decisions.

• Like 1

Allowing bids for sold out categories has multiple advantages for NCL. First, in case there are any last-minute cancellations, they can make additional money. Second, they get very valuable data on which to base future pricing decisions.

That was what I was thinking ;)

Thanks for the responses....definitely wont be holding my breath for a Haven Spa Suite ;p

That was what I was thinking ;)

Thanks for the responses....definitely wont be hold my breath for a Haven Spa Suite ;p

LOL me either, I have 5 Haven bids in, that are still pending on a totally sold out cruise

So, at 3:00 am I checked and still nothing for the Getaway this Sunday. I increased my bid by $50 but now it's not giving me the ability to look at my offer. It's just gone. I used to get the "submit your offer for an upgrade" or something similar when I logged on but that's not there. Is that because we are 2 days away and I basically have no chance, or could it be a good sign??

So, at 3:00 am I checked and still nothing for the Getaway this Sunday. I increased my bid by $50 but now it's not giving me the ability to look at my offer. It's just gone. I used to get the "submit your offer for an upgrade" or something similar when I logged on but that's not there. Is that because we are 2 days away and I basically have no chance, or could it be a good sign??

I assume it means bidding is done, you will get an email saying sorry or congrats

Check your cc and see if a charge posted, if it did safe to say you won your bid

I just got the notice. We've been upgraded to a mini-suite from a balcony. Not much difference, but for $200 I'll take the slightly larger bathroom!

Congrats!! Yes I am booked in a mini suite with large balcony for my August cruise, booked it solely for larger bathroom

Curious, those of you who "won" the bid upgrade from a balcony to a mini-suite, are you happy with the location of the mini-suite you got? One of the things I had read on the former post was a caution that if you liked your balcony room, think long and hard before bidding on a mini-suite because you don't know where on the ship you will be placed, and is it worth it to give up the room you chose with supposedly a location you wanted, for a crapshoot?