Price drop after final payment, what's your experience?

Our SF category room went down $200 per person this week. We're 74 days out from sailing and fully paid. I'm happy with the price I paid (booked direct with our NCL PCC) so it's not going to wreck my trip but I wondered if anyone has ever gotten credit or other goodies after a price drop?

I emailed my PCC asking about it, figure it can't hurt to ask.

Also wondering how it influences the upgrade bidding?

Our SF category room went down $200 per person this week. We're 74 days out from sailing and fully paid. I'm happy with the price I paid (booked direct with our NCL PCC) so it's not going to wreck my trip but I wondered if anyone has ever gotten credit or other goodies after a price drop?

Our price dropped $600.00 after final payment and was given $150.00 OBC. My PCC explained that you get 1/4 of the difference so you have a difference of 400.00 so you should get $100.00 OBC. Your PCC can do it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My PCC told me that as long as I book through her and not just through the website, that she can usually get me an upgrade or OBC if the price on my category drops after final payment. Haven't actually put that to the test yet, though she did get me an extra $100 OBC after the new promotion went into effect yesterday, even though we are past final payment for our October cruise.

Its possible to get an upgrade or OBC. NCL is not obligated to do anything. This happened to me once. Had a price drop of $600 (it was a suite) 30 days before sailing. NCL PCC was able to give us $175 OBC. I was very happy :hearteyes:

I booked my cruise through the NCL website, does this mean I can't get any OBC if there is a price drop? I'm happy with the price I paid, and the last time I checked the price actually went up, so no worries if the answer is no.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

You could still try to call. If you have sailed with NCL before, you should have a Personal Cruise Consultant assigned to you already. If not you could just try calling customer service. The worst that can happen is they say "no".

So my follow-up and related question is, any success in getting some OBC for a price drop if you booked through a TA?

It makes no difference if you booked through NCL direct or with a TA you will still be offered the 25% as a one time courtesy.

Can you still pay to do an upgrade after the final payment date on NCL? I'm usually happy with the cabin I've booked, but if a better cabin becomes available for a few dollars more, I'd try to upgrade.

Yes. As long as the category you want to upgrade to isn't sold out, you can upgrade at full price after final payment. The whole concept of the "Upgrade Advantage" program is to get a chance at an upgrade more cheaply. If you are willing to pay full price, they are certainly willing to take your money!

Yes. As long as the category you want to upgrade to isn't sold out, you can upgrade at full price after final payment. The whole concept of the "Upgrade Advantage" program is to get a chance at an upgrade more cheaply. If you are willing to pay full price, they are certainly willing to take your money!

It is also a chance for NCL to sell the last few cabins they have as guaranty cabins for even more than full price, if the cruise is close to sold out and someone is desperate to get that balcony cabin thus bidding a high amount. Maybe most of the bids NCL accepts results in a good deal, but whatever happens, you still end up paying something extra for the chance to upgrade, and in doing that, I would still like to pick my own specific cabin.

I would still look at it as a way for NCL to maximize their profit. I would not be surprised if they held back a few cabins to do that.

Edited by WestfieldTraveler
last line

Excellent customer service requires making customers happy. So giving OBC is not a bad idea to make the customer happy. It will also maybe make repeat business. So kudos to NCL for giving OBC fast final payment :)

I just received a call from my PCC. It's as several of you suggested, I was given 25% of the pricing decrease as onboard credit. (I didn't ask about room upgrades because we're already in a penthouse suite and happy with our location.)

Last year we booked a midship inside for our British Isles cruise on the Jade and the price dropped over $400 after final payment. My TA talked to NCL and we were upgraded to a deck 8 forward balcony with a "covered" balcony. Furthermore, my sister (who was a 1st time cruiser) gor the balcony next door for her inside. The balcony is enclosed a little bit by the metal superstructure, but that a was plus for June in the North Atlantic. We were thrilled, it was a great location for us. It never hurts to ask, and if you don't ask, you don't get. I suspect each sailing is a different story, and I don't know if the booking method makes any difference. But give it a try.

I booked a last-minute 3 nighter in May and price dropped about $50pp a few days after I paid. TA called and NCL offered to upgrade room (which at the time the higher cabin category was at the price I paid for the lower cabin category) but they would not give OBC. I didn't expect them to, but it was worth a try.

normally after final payment you can get an upgrade or an OBC if no upgrades are available. No idea how it affects the upgrade bidding cause,I am not sure as others have said exactly how the upgrade bidding really works. We have tried bidding, no luck so far; still no idea who does and doesn't get the upgrade.

normally after final payment you can get an upgrade or an OBC if no upgrades are available. No idea how it affects the upgrade bidding cause,I am not sure as others have said exactly how the upgrade bidding really works. We have tried bidding, no luck so far; still no idea who does and doesn't get the upgrade.
When I wondered about the upgrade bid, it was in context of of the rate drop. If all the room rates went down, does that mean my "fair" bid nudged higher on the slider?

Excellent customer service requires making customers happy. So giving OBC is not a bad idea to make the customer happy. It will also maybe make repeat business. So kudos to NCL for giving OBC fast final payment :)

Actually it means making reasonable offers to resolve issues. Whether the customer is happy with the options is a different issue.

When I wondered about the upgrade bid, it was in context of of the rate drop. If all the room rates went down, does that mean my "fair" bid nudged higher on the slider?

Those bid "ranges" are pretty arbitrary. Allegedly they are based on past bidding, but every sailing is so unique, that I really think they don't matter at all. They aren't in any relation to what others have bid on your CURRENT sailing, and that's what really matters. Also, when processing bids, NCL doesn't give a flip about what you've already paid for your stateroom. They already have that money. They are going to accept bids that net them the most *additional* money.