What's the earliest you would book a flight from FLL after your cruise?

My wife and I are booked on Adventure next March and I'm starting to look at flights home after our cruise. Adventure will be home ported at Port Everglades so we will most like fly home from FLL, although MIA would be an option. What's the earliest you would feel comfortable booking a flight from FLL? For example, Southwest has a flight that leaves at 9:40. Is that too early? My understanding is that FLL is only about 20 minutes from the port, is this true?

FLL is about 10-15 minutes away once you get in the cab. I have done 10:30 flights. You can make a 9:40 if you do self assist carrying your own bags off of the ship and leave the ship early. Plenty of people will chime in on this thread and tell you they would not risk it.

Just understand that there is always the possibility that something could go wrong and you could miss the flight. But my experience is that most of the time things go right.

The airport is very close and if you carry off the 9:40 should not be an issue... BUT if there are any issues with customs clearing the ship you run the risk of missing your flight. Or if not missing it... getting really stressed after a relaxing vacation...

We made a 9 AM flight last year but we were one of the first off the ship, and had no problems at all. It was a little stressful that morning as we were pulling into dock but once off the ship and in the cab, Life was good.

we always fly to and out of FLL and I would honestly recommend - no earlier than 11.

The first time we went on a cruise, we didn't know.... We thought since the ship docked at 7 am, we could be at the airport an hour later or so. Nope, we barely made it to our 10:25 flight - we were running through the airport (with a 3 yo kid!).

So, now we smartened up and don't get flights before 11.

And in 2016 there was a problem with the customs and we didn't even get to leave the ship until AFTER NOON. By the time we got to the airport and stood in 1 hour line to drop off luggage with Spirit (yes, to drop off luggage - we did the online check in), and then 1 hour in the security check line, it was almost time for our 5 pm flight. We had lunch and then boarded.

Personally wouldn't risk it, but many people do, especially when coming off the mega ships; don't know why but they seem to have a smoother disembarkation. Have no knowledge of the Adventure.

Airport is close and cabs are plentiful. You would definitely need to keep your luggage and line up early for self disembarkation. No help is available.

There are many factors you have no control over, especially TSA lines at the airport.

Factors that will help you make an earlier flight:

1. ability to check-in online via app or ship computer while still on the ship- no waiting to check in at airport

2. self disembarking with all of your bags yourself- no waiting to disembark and/or finding bags in cruise terminal

3. having Global Entry- moves you to the front of line for customs at Port Everglades (have your actual card with you)

4. taking a cab rather than cruise-line airport transfer-- no waiting for cruise line bus to fill up

5. flying carry on only- not waiting to check bags

6. if you do need to check in/check bags at airport, having status with your airline, i.e. get to use priority check-in line

7. having TSA Pre-check or CLEAR- typically a shorter, faster security line at the airport

Consider which of these you are able to take advantage of as you consider flight times and your own level of risk tolerance.

Which cruise are you going on? We are booked for the March 16th sailing. As for what time to fly out.....we are going to shoot for a mid afternoon maybe 5:00pm flight. Better to err on the side of caution in my opinion. Theres plenty of beaches around Hollywood area and things to check out if you need to kill time. Even when we cruise out of Miami we always chose to fly in to FLL because for us it is much cheaper. Sometimes by nearly $100 a person.

But, point being I don't want the stress and hassle of not making my flight in the event theres a delay in the ship arriving back or something else like longer than usual TSA lines at the airport. Just never know.

One thing Ive noticed is that if you stand towards the far side of the terminal outdoors theres a really nice view of the tarmac and runways very close and you can watch comings and goings of the aircraft if you like that sort of thing. Off in the distance you can actually see the tops of the cruise ships from there....its very close to the airport.

Our arrival at Port Everglades is scheduled for 5:30.

We’ve done it several times....just carry your luggage off before the first group who have to retrieve their luggage is called (before 7:30). In May we left the windjammer at 7:20, went to our cabin to get our luggage and walked off the ship and were at the airport by 7:50....easy to make our 9:50am flight:)

Happy cruising!:ship::ship::ship::ship:

Edited by ptf2009
typo corrections

We're on Allure in October and scheduled to get in at 6:15am. Right now we're booked on a SW 12:05pm return flight home. BUT it's got a connection (no plane change) and gets us home at 4:30pm. There's a direct flight (that's also cheaper and would get me points back) at 10:50am out of FLL that would get us home at 1:10pm. I would MUCH rather be on that flight. We've got Global Entry and TSA Pre. Should I switch my flights??? It looks like we'd probably be fine. What time would we be allowed off if we got in at 6:15?

We're on Allure in October and scheduled to get in at 6:15am. Right now we're booked on a SW 12:05pm return flight home. BUT it's got a connection (no plane change) and gets us home at 4:30pm. There's a direct flight (that's also cheaper and would get me points back) at 10:50am out of FLL that would get us home at 1:10pm. I would MUCH rather be on that flight. We've got Global Entry and TSA Pre. Should I switch my flights??? It looks like we'd probably be fine. What time would we be allowed off if we got in at 6:15?

I would switch flights. I caught a 10:45am flight in plenty of time. Now I did carry off my own luggage and was one of the first off the ship and caught a cab but I made it to the airport around 7:45am.

I wouldn't go much earlier than that, but would book the 10:50 to save those SW points;p

I would switch flights. I caught a 10:45am flight in plenty of time. Now I did carry off my own luggage and was one of the first off the ship and caught a cab but I made it to the airport around 7:45am.

I wouldn't go much earlier than that, but would book the 10:50 to save those SW points;p

Perfect! Thank you guys. And thanks OP for letting me hijack a bit :)

I would book that flight without a second thought about it. The last time I was on Allure they started letting self assist folks off around 6:30. You will be docked well before 6:15 unless something goes wrong.

Personally wouldn't risk it, but many people do, especially when coming off the mega ships; don't know why but they seem to have a smoother disembarkation. Have no knowledge of the Adventure.

Airport is close and cabs are plentiful. You would definitely need to keep your luggage and line up early for self disembarkation. No help is available.

There are many factors you have no control over, especially TSA lines at the airport.

You brought up an important factor, with this being Adventure we also need to take into account what day of the week is this? Oasis/Allure/Harmony when each was sailing disembarked on Saturday and Sunday. A week day is going to add some required time to this. FLL is quite a different place on a Monday or Friday especially.

You brought up an important factor, with this being Adventure we also need to take into account what day of the week is this? Oasis/Allure/Harmony when each was sailing disembarked on Saturday and Sunday. A week day is going to add some required time to this. FLL is quite a different place on a Monday or Friday especially.

Next March Adventure should be alternating 8/6 day sailings. The ship will be in Port Everglades either on Saturday or Sunday though I do get your point.

FLL is about 10-15 minutes away once you get in the cab. I have done 10:30 flights. You can make a 9:40 if you do self assist carrying your own bags off of the ship and leave the ship early. Plenty of people will chime in on this thread and tell you they would not risk it.

Just understand that there is always the possibility that something could go wrong and you could miss the flight. But my experience is that most of the time things go right.

The key words here are "most of the time". I have cruised roughly 50 times on various lines, often out of FLL. On one cruise due to Customs issues we were not allowed to disembark until 9:30, and you can only imagine the hordes of humanity rushing to the airport. No way they would have made the flight that day. That flight was out of FLL (the other was in Vancouver I believe)

To the OP, another thing to remember is - what is your Plan B? Airlines are so booked to capacity these days that on some days/flights, Plan B might end up as a flight the next day, or even longer. Yes, it can happen. We were on a flight a few years ago on SWA and they overbooked, and the next possible flight was 2 days out as it was around spring break. And this was Chicago and a major city in Florida (can't recall which one)

The key words here are "most of the time". I have cruised roughly 50 times on various lines, often out of FLL. On one cruise due to Customs issues we were not allowed to disembark until 9:30, and you can only imagine the hordes of humanity rushing to the airport. No way they would have made the flight that day. That flight was out of FLL (the other was in Vancouver I believe)

To the OP, another thing to remember is - what is your Plan B? Airlines are so booked to capacity these days that on some days/flights, Plan B might end up as a flight the next day, or even longer. Yes, it can happen. We were on a flight a few years ago on SWA and they overbooked, and the next possible flight was 2 days out as it was around spring break. And this was Chicago and a major city in Florida (can't recall which one)

That was why I wrote them.

We have been cruising to the Caribbean from the upstate area of New York for about 19 years and mostly in February and March.

We have NEVER booked flights that arrive the day of the cruise and only once on the day we disembarked, which was a mistake and we spent more than 6 hours sitting in North Carolina due to delays in some other part of the country.

Since this to us is the biggest of our yearly vacations we plan for the additional time.

Remember even in good weather flights don't just rely on your departing or arriving terminal's conditions but can be greatly affected with problems at any of the various hubs around the country.

Just a thought or two about flying and one of the main reasons we now try to avoid it like the plague,

We are lucky enough to have a few choices for cruises leaving from ports within a moderate driving distance. New Jersey, Boston and even down to Baltimore. Even with many visits to the same ports there is ALWAYS something new to see or do even if we hit the same place for two years in a row.

We'd rather spend the time and money on the cruise than on and in airports hotels and restaurants..

We hope you have a great cruise experience as we have over the years.

bosco