Is RCCL still stopping at labadee with all the rioting going on in port-au-prince??

It's Haiti. There's your warning. :rolleyes:

I always find it funny when I tell someone who has never been on a cruise that one of our stops is in Haiti. Their jaws practically drop and question "why would you go to Haiti." I then have to explain that it's essentially a theme park fenced off from the rest of the country, and then they kind of sort of get it.

Edited by CruisingNole
typo

I always find it funny when I tell someone who has never been on a cruise that one of our stops is in Haiti. Their jaws practically drop and question "why would you go to Haiti." I think have to explain that it's essentially a theme park fenced off from the rest of the country, and then they kind of sort of get it.

Perfect description. We have used comparable ones.

Perfect description. We have used comparable ones.

Yeah when you tell people you're going to Haiti it even confuses people who DO cruise, but not on Royal. Because all of the other cruise lines have their private beaches in the Bahamas...which is where one would expect it to be

I am not positive if it's accurate, but I was told that back in the 80's - 90's Royal refrained using the word "Haiti" in any of their marketing materials, including cruise compass / maps provided onboard. Labadee was referenced as being part of the much larger cluster of islands, "Hispaniola."

Address what?

Ok I'll bite..

Address the rioting in port au prince...that I've read has recently spread to cap Haitian (which is closer to labadee)....which from what I have read from reputable news sources...is being caused by extremely high fuel prices....set by the government..which I have also read has been corrected .....by the government ....

Fortunately...I have also read that the the high school volunteer groups from the USA have mostly been able to get out....with the remaining teens due out today[emoji106]but there are still others trapped and the American embassy has requested US Marine security be brought in for them

My point is that I saw this thread...read every single post btw....then when I realized something serious was happening in Haiti....as I am scheduled to visit labadee...I went to reputable news sources...to get accurate..imho....reports.

As for my stop at labadee which is not until next April...I will probably get off the ship there to swim...I will also thanks to cruise critic ...know the way to get to Columbus Cove ...that bypasses most of the aggressiveness of the vendors. I also know pax seem to like labadee very much but the possibility of coco cay or Nassau as an alternate is possible

I would love key west also but it seems remote considering I'm doing an ABC islands cruise.

Just sayin...I get what I can from cruise critic but know when to get info elsewhere.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would also not travel to Level 3- Best to check with the current government listings. As somebody previously stated, Labadee is a guarded off protected area of Haiti. While the merchants in the straw market push their merchandise, we never felt uncomfortable their. Have been their about 5 times with Royal and Celebrity.

12.5 km from Cap Haitian to Labadee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Walking distance

But then again unless the posters here are reading news reports other than cc comments, they wouldn't know there are reports of rioting spreading to Cap Haitian

Not for them, for other reasons.

Before someone cries "fake news" I'll preface this by saying I have no idea how legitimate this source is, but they certainly make it clear the marines are there to guard the embassy.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2018/07/11/marines-send-more-embassy-guards-haiti-riots-turn-deadly.html

Walking distance

But then again unless the posters here are reading news reports other than cc comments, they wouldn't know there are reports of rioting spreading to Cap Haitian

True... I read the news reports a few days ago and it sounded like the violence started at Port-au-Prince and Cap Haitian almost at the same time as the fuel hike was announced. Haven’t heard too much about it lately so hoping for the best.

The "them" I was referring to were the volunteer teens you mentioned, who are not at the Embassy, the MSGs are only there for Embassy security.

I did hear that the Marine security at the embassy was bumped up by 13 earlier in the week.

The "them" I was referring to were the volunteer teens you mentioned, who are not at the Embassy, the MSGs are only there for Embassy security.

Oh but the part of my post you quoted only referenced the embassy

Yes my entire post does mention the teens

This is why I post lots of details as in this case I think it's important for posters to understand the rioting has also broken out in Cap Haitian....there are Americans and teens in Haiti...some out already...some getting out today...and I'm presuming some we are not aware of...

It's also fairly significant that the us embassy requested the marines

The devil is in the details....posters here really should post clearly just sayin

Back in 1967 (yeah, I’m old) there was rioting in two nearby towns each about a half hour’s drive from my house. People were killed and the national guard was called in. Never felt threatened. I had a summer job working for the county Registrar in the courthouse. Every morning there would be prisoners in chains brought in. Never felt threatened.

True... I read the news reports a few days ago and it sounded like the violence started at Port-au-Prince and Cap Haitian almost at the same time as the fuel hike was announced. Haven’t heard too much about it lately so hoping for the best.

Chances are everything will calm down and these riots will fade into lost memory and rccl will continue to port there

But clear thought tells me labadee is not an island like say Harvest Caye in Belize is for ncl

It's clearly on the mainland of the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere. Clearly a country with significant problems.

Not suggesting anything other than the facts. Take that as you will but imho it's a powder keg even as far away as labadee

. People live near there regardless of the fences.