How far out have you had a cruise cancelled?

courticeguy

Apart from unscheduled maintenance issues has anyone had a cruise cancelled on short notice? We are 8 months out on a cruise from Auckland and am combining it with a stay in Saigon and pre and post cruise stays in Auckland and Sydney. My issue is getting reasonable one way flights to and from these cities in business or premium economy and would go ahead and book if i felt HAL wasn't going to pull the rug out of my plans. For example I just missed out on a great business class fare from SGN to AUK which has now jumped 50% but had no refunds in case of cancellation. And no...... I don't support the insurance business unless for catastrophic reasons.

Thank you.

Didn't happen to us personally, but on Royal Caribbean, they cancelled the Empress Cruises with only a day or two notice. It wasn't ready due to a major drydock.

Also, with hurricane, they didn't cancel the Liberty of the Seas until either the day before or day of. People actually had to fly to Houston, before they cancelled it.

No, fortunately we have never experienced a cancellation. We typically book inside the final payment window so I suspect this somewhat reduces our exposure to cancellations.

We absolutely avoid those ships that are about to go into, or have recently exited from dry dock. We would never consider an inaugural cruise either.

We did have a South American cruise on Princess cancelled. But it was our choice. They contacted us six or seven weeks prior to blast off with a move over offer. If we were willing to give up our cabin we would get a full refund, a free 14 day cruise, any cruise, or our choice. Plus an upgrade from balcony to mini suite and $300. to offset any flight cancellation fees. We jumped at this offer to cancel our cruise. We would love to get another one like this.

Edited by iancal

Some time in the spring of 2015 we got a call from our TA that HAL had decided to keep the Nieuw Amsterdam a little longer in Europe. Thus our Caribbean cruises for October/November were cancelled. Naturally we had already bought our airline tickets. We were only given a choice of a couple of cruises. But only one ship had the cabin category that we wanted left. We took it and were fortunate to get our flights changed as well as hotel dates. HAL gave us a nice chunk of shipboard credit.

Our only cancellation was for our very first HAL cruise and we were notified a year and a week beforehand. Consequently, no hotel reservations or flights to be rearranged. It was the first leg of a b2b, but were able to rebook it as the second leg and keep the same cabin.

I don't remember the exact time line, but we once had a river cruise cancelled after we made final payment as they chartered out the ship.(This was over a Christmas/New Year's holiday).

We were offered what they considered a better (or at least they charged more for) cruise in a higher category, but we did not want the itinerary they offered. We ended up doing a land trip to Amsterdam (where the original cruise was starting and ending).

And believe me even when it is because they cancel, it is much more difficult to get your fare back than it is to pay it.

I had a cruise cancelled the day of sailing.

The old Noordam was in a collision in New Orleans in 1993.

We found out in Atlanta airport , just told it was canceled but not the reason why.

Found out watching the news that night.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had our Canada-Greenland-Iceland 24-day trip in September 2019 cancelled last week (July 2). We had an OV cabin, and HAL has offered a less-than-generous $25pp OBC:

"If any other 2019 Canada & New England 14-day or longer voyage is selected, the above Shipboard Credit will be applied to the new booking based on the stateroom category booked."

They're re-deploying three other ships to pick up the slack because they've sold Prinsendam.