CocoCay port cancelled and replaced with Miami Stop

Chill, people, although I live in Miami and I'm a bit biased. South Beach is a 15 minute car trip from the port that's a great beach day with MUCH better people watching than admiring your fellow cruisers, and you can have lunch at Joe's Stone Crabs or the next door Takeaway--1000 times better than the crappy BBQ, burgers and hot dogs at Coco Cay.

To each his own, but I prefer Coco Cay. Don't care about the people watching, don't care about the food. All I need is a place to sit in the shade, with palm trees above, very little noise.. and a drink in hand... Occasionally take a dip in the water to cool off... repeat.

To each his own, but I prefer Coco Cay. Don't care about the people watching, don't care about the food. All I need is a place to sit in the shade, with palm trees above, very little noise.. and a drink in hand... Occasionally take a dip in the water to cool off... repeat.
Walk off the boat and on the beach.

Car trip isn't the same.

Heck, I live on the beach and rarely go

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

So far the only 2 ships to have stops cancelled are the Rhapsody and the Vision. Both of these ships were the 2nd ship booked into CocoCay for the day. It appears that due to the construction they have closed certain areas of CocoCay and there is not enough space to accommodate all the guests from 2 ships. At this point I don’t think guests on other ships have to worry about their stop being cancelled or changed to Miami or Nassau.

Chill, people, although I live in Miami and I'm a bit biased. South Beach is a 15 minute car trip from the port that's a great beach day with MUCH better people watching than admiring your fellow cruisers, and you can have lunch at Joe's Stone Crabs or the next door Takeaway--1000 times better than the crappy BBQ, burgers and hot dogs at Coco Cay.

Are there close beaches with chair and umbrella rentals and restrooms?

I happen to love Miami - food, culture, art deco, music. BUT, if you book a cruise for certain ports (because that is what you like) then it is a real bummer when the itinerary changes. I'd be mad if a sea day was substituted for a port. Or if a U.S. port was substituted for a Caribbean port. Yes, sometimes Mother Nature interferes and nothing can be done. But dock construction should be scheduled and known ahead of time. Give away some OBC and everyone is appeased. Marketing 101.

So far the only 2 ships to have stops cancelled are the Rhapsody and the Vision. Both of these ships were the 2nd ship booked into CocoCay for the day. It appears that due to the construction they have closed certain areas of CocoCay and there is not enough space to accommodate all the guests from 2 ships. At this point I don’t think guests on other ships have to worry about their stop being cancelled or changed to Miami or Nassau.

Our CocoCay stop for the 3/28/19 Grandeur sailing has been cancelled for several months. Was first switched to Freeport and now an extra day in Nassau.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I happen to love Miami - food, culture, art deco, music. BUT, if you book a cruise for certain ports (because that is what you like) then it is a real bummer when the itinerary changes. I'd be mad if a sea day was substituted for a port. Or if a U.S. port was substituted for a Caribbean port. Yes, sometimes Mother Nature interferes and nothing can be done. But dock construction should be scheduled and known ahead of time. Give away some OBC and everyone is appeased. Marketing 101.
I'd take the US port of Key West over Nassau.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I'd take the US port of Key West over Nassau.

If we HAD to do an overnight in Nassau....we'd probably head over to that new resort Baha Mar and spend the night. Friends just got back from there and said it was fantastic if you just stay in the resort.

Atlantis has really gone down hill....

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

If we HAD to do an overnight in Nassau....we'd probably head over to that new resort Baha Mar and spend the night. Friends just got back from there and said it was fantastic if you just stay in the resort.

Overnight in Key West would be beyond awesome. May just have to drive down.[emoji41]

Baha Mar would be cool

You would pay to spend the night at a resort when you have already paid to spend the night on a not too shabby cruise ship?

You should tell RC to rent a beach, shuttle people there and have a BBQ lunch then it might be somewhat equal.

Oooh, a positive good idea. Who the heck are you and why are you on Cruise critic? ;) I think I would like this idea.

If I wanted to vacation in Miami I would, however, I don't.

You would pay to spend the night at a resort when you have already paid to spend the night on a not too shabby cruise ship?
Lots of folks had to do that on Mariner if they were going to Taj Mahal [emoji6]

Would be worth it to make the best of being overnight in Nassau....

Miami is not a terrible place to visit but it is very expensive. Especially considering you will miss out on the private beach where food and drinks are included.

Miami does have excellent beaches that will set you back about $10-15 each way for an Uber or cab. Very clear water and not too rough. There are chairs for rent and what not. Miami Beach PD is always roaming to deter crime, but beware, there are some questionable people in south beach.

The food is amazing in Miami but again, pretty expensive. Beers run $5-9 and mixed drinks run $9 and up. Food can get expensive fast but certainly worth it. One beer, one cocktail, one coke, and three entrees (one from the kids menu) was $130 for dinner last week.

People watching is top notch.

We enjoyed people watching and listening to music on the waterfront near the port pre-cruise.

At least you know ahead of time.

January 24th 2019 sailing on Grandeur out of Baltimore

Got the email today that Coco Cay is canceled because :

While we are transforming our private destination, CocoCay, into PerfectDay at CocoCay, we have experienced a minor delay.

It's a 9 day and we already were scheduled in Miami so it has been replaced with Grand Bahama which is just code for Freeport. :(

Also got the email that our cabana at Coco Cay has been canceled and refunded.

I am sad as this was the port we were most looking forward to. I wish they had replaced it with Key West. I don't mind Nassau but Freeport, well....:(

Crap tradeoff if you wanted an easy beach day, but you can beach it in Miami + have other options. Not sure what will be open New Years Day though, that might be tough.

I was at Great Stirrup Cay last year with NCL and they were doing construction and it was pretty annoying, honestly, and insulting to guests to bring them to a beach day listening to construction equipment and banging hammers all day. So cancellation could be blessing in disguise

Are there close beaches with chair and umbrella rentals and restrooms?
Yes--and comparable in price to what RCI charges for extra shade on CocoCay (we go early there and get under the palm trees). Edited by taxatty

January 24th 2019 sailing on Grandeur out of Baltimore

Got the email today that Coco Cay is canceled because :

While we are transforming our private destination, CocoCay, into PerfectDay at CocoCay, we have experienced a minor delay.

It's a 9 day and we already were scheduled in Miami so it has been replaced with Grand Bahama which is just code for Freeport. :(

Also got the email that our cabana at Coco Cay has been canceled and refunded.

I am sad as this was the port we were most looking forward to. I wish they had replaced it with Key West. I don't mind Nassau but Freeport, well....:(

We're on the 13 Dec 9-night Grandeur OTS Bahamas cruise. Right now RCL is still showing us at CocoCay on 18 Dec. And we are already scheduled to port in Miami. We were rescheduled to Grand Bahama, but now it looks like we are overnighting at Port Canaveral!?!? who knows

I had 3 Vision cruises cancel CocoCay a few days ago and then change them back. The January 26 sailing will be their first return to the island. We are also on the Rhapsody T/A where CocoCay was cancelled. From my research it looks like most sailings in December and early January are cancelled on most but not all ships. I found on ship on 12/18 and one ship on 12/25. There may be a couple other strays.

We were really looking forward to the beach day at the end of our T/A and Nassau just does not cut it for us. We have been there many times.

It seems a bit strange that they need to do an almost total shut down of the island. It is great that they are making what they consider improvements to the island for future travelers but they are now punishing those that were already booked to visit the island.