7 day alaska Celebrity vs. Holland

dtrumpet

Holland America has cruises that go to either Glacier Bay National Park or Hubbard Glacier - Celebrity only goes to Hubbard Glacier. So if you are interested in seeing Glacier Bay National Park (with an on-board park ranger narration), you should choose Holland America.

Here is a link to a CC discussion of the PROS and CONS of these two alternatives:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1928&taparam=ECCGoogleUS_K530157482_A54162894377_NS&&supai=275338262386&supsn=g&supmbl=&suppos=1t2&supap1=&supap2=&supdev=c&suprnd=11648065962073044710&source=108471&gclid=Cj0KCQjw-JvaBRDGARIsAFjqkkpkIhpAdqAJPSLh7y3NhACprWEO-gFCdivpWMZNKwbKjG7YCdc9regaAnwxEALw_wcB

I just returned from the 7 day Alaska Southbound cruise on Celebrity, so I can only comment on that specific cruise and itinerary. I was concerned with our choice at first because of the "you MUST go to Glacier Bay"-itis everywhere. Hubbard Glacier was magnificent and our ship came within 4/10th of a mile - it was massive. And we saw many other glaciers during our time in AK. Would Glacier Bay have been incredible too? Probably, but we considered many other factors in choosing our cruise.

1. Itinerary - I just looked at Holland's southbound itinerary: Day 1: At sea Day 2: Glacier Bay (stay on ship) Day 3: Haines Day 4: Juneau Day 5: Ketchikan (11 am - 7 pm) Day 6: At sea Day 7: Arrive Vancouver

Our Celebrity itinerary: Day 1: Hubbard Glacier (stay on ship) Day 2: Juneau Day 3: Skagway Day 4: Icy Strait Point Day 5: Ketchikan Day 6: At sea Day 7: Arrive Vancouver

As you can see, we had 1 extra port day if that matters to you.

2. Price - Celebrity had the best price when we booked because we could include the basic beverage (alcohol) package and received onboard credit in addition. It was great to not think about the price of each and every drink we ordered.

3. We decided to book an oceanview room rather than a balcony. The savings helped pay for some of our expensive excursions (and they were worth every penny!)

4. Time in port - our arrival and departure times in each port really were perfect. Holland's arrival in Ketchikan isn't until 11 AM, so if there are other ships that have arrived before you, it may be more difficult to book an excursion (on your own).

Bottom line: I don't think you can go wrong either way. Just compare all of the details, so you get what you want.

I just returned from the 7 day Alaska Southbound cruise on Celebrity, so I can only comment on that specific cruise and itinerary. I was concerned with our choice at first because of the "you MUST go to Glacier Bay"-itis everywhere. Hubbard Glacier was magnificent and our ship came within 4/10th of a mile - it was massive. And we saw many other glaciers during our time in AK. Would Glacier Bay have been incredible too? Probably, but we considered many other factors in choosing our cruise.

1. Itinerary - I just looked at Holland's southbound itinerary: Day 1: At sea Day 2: Glacier Bay (stay on ship) Day 3: Haines Day 4: Juneau Day 5: Ketchikan (11 am - 7 pm) Day 6: At sea Day 7: Arrive Vancouver

Our Celebrity itinerary: Day 1: Hubbard Glacier (stay on ship) Day 2: Juneau Day 3: Skagway Day 4: Icy Strait Point Day 5: Ketchikan Day 6: At sea Day 7: Arrive Vancouver

As you can see, we had 1 extra port day if that matters to you.

2. Price - Celebrity had the best price when we booked because we could include the basic beverage (alcohol) package and received onboard credit in addition. It was great to not think about the price of each and every drink we ordered.

3. We decided to book an oceanview room rather than a balcony. The savings helped pay for some of our expensive excursions (and they were worth every penny!)

4. Time in port - our arrival and departure times in each port really were perfect. Holland's arrival in Ketchikan isn't until 11 AM, so if there are other ships that have arrived before you, it may be more difficult to book an excursion (on your own).

Bottom line: I don't think you can go wrong either way. Just compare all of the details, so you get what you want.

We will be doing the B2B 14-day Celebrity option in addton to your 4-geat reasons because.

* Inside passage is amazing!

IMHO:

HAL for Glacier Bay. To not go to Glacier Bay is like going to Beijing and not going to the Great Wall of China.

Celebrity for the pricing - assuming you drink enough to make the perks a financial benefit.

P S - ask the exact same question in the HAL board to get opinions from both communities of cruise line fans.

IMHO:

HAL for Glacier Bay. To not go to Glacier Bay is like going to Beijing and not going to the Great Wall of China.

Celebrity for the pricing - assuming you drink enough to make the perks a financial benefit. C

Don't necessarily agree, although I would like to see it also. A number of people I have talked to who have sailed to both places told me that Hubbard was a much more impressive glacier to see. So I guess it may depend on whether checking Glacier Bay off your bucket list is more important than what you are actually experiencing, if in fact these folks were correct in their analysis. Having never been to Glacier Bay I can only go by what I have heard.

Don't necessarily agree, although I would like to see it also. A number of people I have talked to who have sailed to both places told me that Hubbard was a much more impressive glacier to see. So I guess it may depend on whether checking Glacier Bay off your bucket list is more important than what you are actually experiencing, if in fact these folks were correct in their analysis. Having never been to Glacier Bay I can only go by what I have heard.

I agree 100%. Hubbard glacier is much more impressive and Celebrity captains are notorious for getting their ships close to the action. Glacier Bay is nice, but it has seen better days, because of the effects of Global warming.

We've cruised both, and I do recommend that if you have the time, take a northbound cruise on Celebrity and a southbound cruise on HAL(or the reverse). This will get you to both areas, with the option to spend some land time in the Seward/Kenai region.

Putting these two cruises together is not that difficult and these one-way cruises are less expensive compared to the roundtrip routes out of Seattle.

Enjoy!

Kel:D

If you have the time and resources, I strongly suggest you do a land cruise with HAL. We felt to travel that far and not see interior Alaska would be a waste. We traveled Northbound from Vancouver, Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, docked in Seward train to Anchorage where we spent the night. Boarded a beautiful glass domed rail car for a SCENIC narrated 400 or so mile trip to Denali. Spent three nights there. Saw brown bear, caribou, moose, spectacular Denali in all its glory. Visited musher Jeff Kings camp ( recommended). Did some 4 wheeling near the park. Bused to Fairbanks where we were given a paddle boat trip down the Chena River. Spent the night in Fairbanks, flew home from there. Just a spectacular trip!

Having been to Alaska 5 times in the past ,we have been to both Glacier Bay & seen Hubbard Glacier . imo ,both are equally impressive in their own ways .would be nice if any cruise line put both on their itineraries .

Another person said to see the interior & Holland does a great job there .

We want to go back to Alaska once more ;but ,to do a 14 night cruise & Holland is the only cruise line that makes stops at Kodiak Island ,Homer Alaska & Anchorage plus all he other ports of call .

We are looking for a outside cabin when the price breaks (retired we can wait it out ) . The ships are smaller & generally older ;but ,it takes a small ship to do Anchorage .Also the ship is R/T from Seattle ;which is a plus vs Vancouver BC

We could elect to take the long drive ,go by Amtrak or Fly non stop from San Diego

For any one traveling to Alaska take note & google this :

"discount books in Alaska "

There are 2 discount books for Alaska ;which can save lots of money . The coupons are visible & you then can select which book benefits you more before purchase :p

We have been on 2 Alaskan cruises with HAL in the past 2 years. Both were wonderful. I think leaving from Vancouver is better and less rough. We got a great deal through Prestige Cruise company found on Travel Zoo. We had a Signature Suite, large,(Nieuw Amsterdam) for $900. Last year we took the adult kids and went on the Eurodam and had balcony cabins with drinks and specialty dinning and OBC for $899. We got very close to the glaciers in Glacier Bay. I would like to go with Celebrity but they were more expensive and their ships were much older.

You can't go wrong either way, both ships are very relaxing, with excellent good, service, and cabins. Celebrity will have more entertainment onboard, a slightly younger crowd, modern art decor, and warm refreshments when you return from port. Holland will have classic decor, a more international passenger base, superior breakfast and buffet options, extensive movies on demand, and travels to Glacier Bay.

If you think you might go to Alaska twice, I would probably do both. For HAL, a 3 or 4 day land tour before your cruise is well worth it, mainly to see Denali National Park. Southbound on HAL usually stops in Haines and Glacier Bay, two places Celebrity doesn't get to see.

There is no need to choose between Hubbard and Glacier BayPrincess goes to both. Book a Club Mini Suite and get better food [not as good as Luminae, but not as expensive either].

good to know! Thanks.

mcrcruiser thank you for your good advice as well.

I'm making note of both for our next cruise to Alaska.