Booking a cruise for one person

Hello, I’ve never been on a cruise and I’m pretty young (21yo). I’ve always been interested in these big ships and wanted to sail on one for the longest time. Now I found a cruise that I could pay with my money I saved up but the problem is I have noone to go with since nobody I know has the money.

What I would like to know can a person book a room for only one person (this cruise ship does NOT have solo cabins) and also how pricey is the fee you pay to book a room for one?

Thank you!

Generally (if you are not booking the solo rooms) someone travelling solo would end up paying the price of two passengers.

The reasoning behind this is that it is better marketing if they advertise a lower price X (based on double occupancy) rather than the actual cost of a cabin (2X)

Knowing that you will pay double, (if you decide to go) you may want to invite someone to come with you and at least recoup some of your money (or other benefits).

The pricing for a cruise that is advertised is per person, based on double occupancy. So assume that you will be paying double. The other thing to consider is that not all lines will allow a single 21 year old to book (some have minimum age requirements).

My first cruise was my honeymoon on a Carnival cruise ship. I did not try to sail again until I was divorced and my kids were preteens. I was trying to go solo while my kids were with their dad. The price to go alone would have been way too much. The travel agent suggest taking my daughters, because they had a kids sail for a very reduced price, and the third person even less. It was actually cheaper to go with all three of us, than for me to go alone.

See this article. Yes, solo cruising has it's own challenge as you have to pay for two people even though only one is in the cabin. For my upcoming cruise, I booked an inside cave because I'm traveling solo. Fortunately, they are building the newer ships to include several (quickly booked) solo cabins.

Bear in mind that even "solo" cabins are generally more than the "per person" price of the lowest category cabin.

Start thinking of the cost of a cabin (which is double the "per person" price) as what you'll pay. Keep on saving!

The pricing for a cruise that is advertised is per person, based on double occupancy. So assume that you will be paying double. The other thing to consider is that not all lines will allow a single 21 year old to book (some have minimum age requirements).

All of the mainstream cruise lines have a minimum age of 21in order to cruise. Anyone under the age of 21 must be accompanied by a passenger at least 21 years of age with the exception of Carnival which is 25

Not true about a 21 year old booking a cruise. Age 21 is a legal adult and can book any cruise line. Where your confusion might be coming in is that some cruise lines require an adult to be 25 IF someone under 21 books a cruise without a parent or guardian. That 25 year old will be booked in the same cabin as the under age person.

As most everyone else has pointed out, if you're looking at a ship that does not have a solo cabin, a good rule of thumb is to double the per person rate being advertised, because you're probably going to be paying double occupancy rates. There are a few exceptions to that.

If you're curious about how much a particular cabin would cost including taxes and port fees, you can typically go through the process of booking the cabin online before providing your personal information and payment information without actually reserving the cruise to get a total.

Sometimes you can find great deals, especially last minute deals. Also, if by chance you do find a cruise you're interested in that has solo cabins, check to see if other cabins could be cheaper. The cruise I took two years ago sold normal interior rooms for cheaper than the solo cabins as the cruise date got closer. Just keep your eye out for deals, and when you find a price you're willing to pay, book it!

I've gone solo on two cruises, and I have another one booked for next year. My reasoning for traveling solo is similar to yours; no one wanted to go with me, because they couldn't afford it. I actually prefer to go on cruises and travel alone now.

All of the mainstream cruise lines have a minimum age of 21in order to cruise. Anyone under the age of 21 must be accompanied by a passenger at least 21 years of age with the exception of Carnival which is 25

P&O UK have lower age limits.

Single cabins are not half the price of the equivalent general cabin. They tend to be something like 75%. In some cases it is cheaper to book a general "inside" that a single cabin.

Regards John

Assume that you will pay double the per person fare. But, there are times when the cost may be only 125%, 150%, or 175% of the per person fare, double occupancy. The best times to try for this is surely NOT high season for the cruising region you desire. Cabin category on a particular sailing may also have something to do with the price quoted.

I urge you to use a travel agent who is an experienced cruise agent to help you. Doing so will cost you not one penny more and the agent/agency may provide some "perks", i.e. on board ship credit, a free specialty dining dinner, etc. that enhances your cruise experience and helps to lower the overall cost of your cruise.

It sounds to me that you have wisely set money aside for a specific savings goal: a cruise. Use that money sooner than later for that purpose. That is what I have done over the years and I view it as a "reward" for my planning, investing, and saving.

Not all TA charge "not one penny more" that booking directly.

So make SURE the TA you pick does not have other charges.

Some TAs also charge for any changes, even repricing if the rate goes down.

When you go to the cruise lines website the FIRST thing to do is change the "number of guests" to 1. Then start your search. Then you can start looking at where you want to go, what ship, what cabin type etc etc. Don't overthink this, don't search for the price for 2+ people as it will just annoy you when the final price is higher. . Just start with 1 guest and that is the price, no doing math.

When you go to the cruise lines website the FIRST thing to do is change the "number of guests" to 1. Then start your search. Then you can start looking at where you want to go, what ship, what cabin type etc etc. Don't overthink this, don't search for the price for 2+ people as it will just annoy you when the final price is higher. . Just start with 1 guest and that is the price, no doing math.

Excellent advice from Trucker Dave. I've not found the so called solo cabins to be bargains. Oftentimes you can get better pricing booking a "regular" cabin for one person and paying a supplement.

Roz