Rome - Vatican Tour and plus Coliseum - Need Real Answers

What are the rules, any one have experienced?

For men - Shorts at the knees work in the Vatican? or no shorts period?

I understand women's clothing attire rules.

Also, Smallish back pack can be brought into the tour in both places?

Camera? Go Pro? be brought out?

We watched some ladies be refused entry into a church in Florence, as they had vest type tops ie shoulders not covered, while men were allowed in wearuing shorts.

In fact my husband was so cross witnessing the selectivenes, that he made a point of telling the door stewards of their inconsistencies.

From the Vatican website:

"Entry to the Vatican Museums, the Sistine Chapel, St. Peter's Basilica and the Vatican Gardens is permitted only to appropriately dressed visitors.

Low cut or sleeveless clothing, shorts, miniskirts and hats are not allowed."

When I visited I wore long pants. I think if you have knee length or longer, I think you'll be allowed in. But I didn't try it.

What are the rules, any one have experienced?

For men - Shorts at the knees work in the Vatican? or no shorts period?

I understand women's clothing attire rules.

Also, Smallish back pack can be brought into the tour in both places?

Camera? Go Pro? be brought out?

Men are allowed shorts and must touch the knees. I usually loosen my belt so that my shorts drop a bit.

Ladies are allowed to wear shorts, but their shoulders must be covered.

Cameras are allowed, however very tight security and will go through any bags.

FYI : Lines are quite long and you may want to purchase the "skip the lines" ticket package. Also, the Sistine Chapel is a different tour, however, there are combination of the 2 and think of the skip the lines package.

Enjoy the Eternal City. We were there last August while sailing on the Brilliance, and while touring the Sistine Chapel it rained like the dickens when they closed the windows it became a little uncomfortable because of no AC and the mass of humanity. It had not rained for some 7+months.:D

You can take photos of the Vatican Museum and St Peters Basilica. No Photos of the Sistine Chapel and they ask for silence. I bought a postcard of the Sistine Chapel in the gift shop.

You can take photos of the Coliseum. I'm not sure about the backpack, I always carried my camera in a crossbody bag, not too large. Security will check all bags. Hope this helps.

Awesome replies, thanks...we are on the Vision in 2 weeks Med East 12 nt'r;

- we have skip the line ticks yes

- wife is bringing a shawl to cover shoulders wearing a sun dress?

- plan on having phone in pocket for pics but go pro around my neck or in small packback

- plan on longest pair of dress shorts but with pants tucked away in case

Awesome replies, thanks...we are on the Vision in 2 weeks Med East 12 nt'r;

- we have skip the line ticks yes

- plan on having phone in pocket for pics but go pro around my neck or in small packback

- plan on longest pair of dress shorts but with pants tucked away in case

Did the 12 niter on the Brilliance last August and always enjoyed it. It was my 4th tour of duty.:DBy the way, other Cathedrals in Italy are even more conservative than the Vatican. For instance, the main Cathedral in Florence requires women (5 years ago) to wear dresses. My wife who was in shorts, had to pay E2 for a paper dress.

I always take a shawl/pashmina on tour in Europe. It works to cover shoulders or as an impromptu skirt, if the dress length is an issue. It is then also handy if the day is cool, or you need something to sit upon.

Have a lovely trip!

Do yourself a favor and don't waste too much time in the museum part of the Vatican. The Sistine chapel is the main attraction, and the museum is very big and will take a long time to walk through, so don't get caught up admiring each rug, unless that's your thing.

Good to know thanks!

Do yourself a favor and don't waste too much time in the museum part of the Vatican. The Sistine chapel is the main attraction, and the museum is very big and will take a long time to walk through, so don't get caught up admiring each rug, unless that's your thing.

I actually enjoyed the museum much better than the Sistine Chapel. Wall to wall people and the constant shushing from the guards.

Also, enjoyed the Catacombs were most of the past popes are interred. Quite interesting and very little advertising .

The Vatican Museums are among the world's greatest.

It would seem such a shame to travel all that way to find your shorts are unacceptable. I like the idea of the zip off bottoms.

It's a problem if you were ultra shorts. If normal shorts they will touch your knees. At Kohl's, I found a pair of shorts that fall below the knees and came in handy the last time at the Vatican.

No knees for anyone (maybe young kids/babies but not older kids and adults). They were enforcing it back in May. One man in our groups shorts went above his knees. He had to sag his pants to be allowed in.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I actually enjoyed the museum much better than the Sistine Chapel. Wall to wall people and the constant shushing from the guards.

Also, enjoyed the Catacombs were most of the past popes are interred. Quite interesting and very little advertising .

We went in the middle of summer at a peak time. The never ending hallways were packed with tourists, shoulder to shoulder and there was no A/C. I at least urge anyone visiting the Vatican to go in the evening when it's less crowded. St. Peter's was also amazing, I actually preferred seeing that (which is free and separate from the Vatican).

For the Coliseum, small backpacks are fine. I actually used the small blue RCCL backpack that I had bought on a prior cruise.

For the Vatican portion. The guide said my shorts were close enough that I would be allowed in. I wasn't so sure and I didn't feel like standing in a long line only to be denied entry. So I just wandered around bringing back water for my wife and MIL, and just before they go to the checkpoint I gave my wife my camera with quick instructions on how to get indoor pictures.

You can take photos of the Vatican Museum and St Peters Basilica. No Photos of the Sistine Chapel and they ask for silence. I bought a postcard of the Sistine Chapel in the gift shop.

You can take photos of the Coliseum. I'm not sure about the backpack, I always carried my camera in a crossbody bag, not too large. Security will check all bags. Hope this helps.

No flash cameras in the Vatican Museum as I experienced dirty looks and a wave of no no from the guards when I took a picture of certain tapestries.

go pro will be ok then?

Not that familiar with the go pro camera. If you visit St. Peter's Basilica no problems with any camera. There are certain instances such as we attended Mass as it was Sunday, and I took a picture, and guard quickly came over and admonished me. There was an instance in which another tourist camera was taken away from him.

This may sound corny, but when we visited St. Peter's Basilica the 1st. time, some years ago, and attended Mass (in Latin) and I said to my wife, this is probably the closest I'll ever be to Heaven.

Vatican Museum, cameras without flash.

Sistine Chapel, absolutely no cameras what-so-ever. Also, no talking as you'll be shushed to death. By the way you can take stairs that lead from the Chapel to St. Peter's Basilica.

Ps. The Sistine Chapel is closed on Sunday's and other religious day's. We missed the Sistine Chapel the 1st 3 times due to combination of Sunday's and work being done to the Chapel. Finally made it last August. If you are planning this tour go to the Vatican web site and check for appropriate dates.