Oceania vs. Celebrity suites

islandchick

Please be realistic in your expectations. Expecting the sky might lead to disappointment even when the cruise is very good or even excellent. Nothing or no cruise line is perfect :)

Excellent point, of course, and I do have at least one foot in reality! Thank you..

The other negative in both Blu and Luminae is that their tables are extremely close to each other, so you can’t really have a private conversation with your dining partner. The tables in O’s alternates are nowhere near as close together.

The dregs are what’s left at the bottom of something after what is desirable has been consumed.

wonder since you have not been on O yet how you know you will get the dregs

We got 2 tops @ 6:30 pm ..we were in the last group to pick the time slots

not the dregs to me

YMMV

Now I see on the Oceania board some concern of Oceania cheapening their product with the new GDR menus - less variety, more repetition etc. This is not good.

Just got off 14 days on Marina

did not find too much repetition

yes they have the Grand Salad seems like daily but I guess people may like it just like the Jacques Pepin Always available dishes

there was enough variety that we did not go hungry & some dishes I wished they repeated so I could try them on another night

some nights there were several things I wanted but had to narrow it down

I hate to see what the scales say tomorrow :eek:

wonder since you have not been on O yet how you know you will get the dregs

We got 2 tops @ 6:30 pm ..we were in the last group to pick the time slots

not the dregs to me

YMMV

Well I’ve read enough posts here and I’ve been told by regulars not to count on getting a reservation for my husbands big birthday. Do I need to put my hand on a flame that people tell me is hot? And let’s be honest, it would be insane to think that Suites or Concierge who get an earlier opening are not going to take the best spots. On Celebrity it doesn’t matter what category you’re in, you can book it online at the same time.

Well I’ve read enough posts here and I’ve been told by regulars not to count on getting a reservation for my husbands big birthday. Do I need to put my hand on a flame that people tell me is hot? And let’s be honest, it would be insane to think that Suites or Concierge who get an earlier opening are not going to take the best spots. On Celebrity it doesn’t matter what category you’re in, you can book it online at the same time.

You could always give it a try you may be surprised

but what keep whinging on about it until you try it

We have usually gotten a 2 top at 6:30pm when booking at the 45 day window

You could always give it a try you may be surprised

but what keep whinging on about it until you try it

We have usually gotten a 2 top at 6:30pm when booking at the 45 day window

I don’t think I was whinging. I stated it as a Class distinction on Oceania vs Celebrity when Celebrity was being called out for separating the unwashed from the suites. If you read my post I said suites having their own restaurant bothered me less than suites on Oceania getting the good dining times.

Just what are 'the best spots"? Everyone has a different opinion on that. We meet a couple on board who we spent time with who would never think eating before 8pm. I hate to eat that late. Which time is 'the best' that all those suites are scooping up?

As others have reported, I had no problem getting a 6:30 reservation when I booked as soon as the window opened (minutes after midnight). I booked a shared table, but I could have had my own. And these were on sea days in the middle of the cruise.

Yeah, if you wait a few weeks after the window opens you may have a problem. On the other hand, if you don't get what you want and go to the maitre'd when you get on board and tell him why you want that particular date, I can't imagine them turning you down, no matter what category you'd booked in.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Reservation for us in an OV opened on the 20th; although I had planned to stay up until midnight on 19th to book, I forgot. Woke at 8am, flew to the computer and the only time I could get on any day for a 2 top was 9pm (there were other options if we wanted to share). I don’t mind eating 8-8:30 but 9 is really late, at least for me. Cruise Junky, on Celebrity you can all go on at the same time but that I surmise it is because you are paying extra to dine there? While I am less than thrilled about getting 9pm dining times, I get that the people paying more than me get 1st crack at picking their dining times....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don’t think I was whinging. I stated it as a Class distinction on Oceania vs Celebrity when Celebrity was being called out for separating the unwashed from the suites. If you read my post I said suites having their own restaurant bothered me less than suites on Oceania getting the good dining times.

But they don't! It's not like they sell out all the good tables/times to the online bookers. Because they do NOT. They have to leave room for all those people who aren't internet savvy.

When you board the ship you have as good a chance of booking what you want as anyone else.

Okay, it's harder to get a two top at the "middle" times, but not impossible.

DH and I were on Riviera in May and when we arrived for our 7:30 reservation, a shared table with strangers, we were informed that our reservation had been for 6:00. I said, NO WAY. All of our notices specified 7:30, which was what I had requested. In this circumstance Polo managed to find a two top for us.

So if you tell Oceania it's your anniversary and you want to celebrate, they probably will do their best to accommodate.

You could try calling Oceania (or having your TA intercede if you have one) to mention the special circumstances of your request.

Just be sure to bring a copy of your marriage certificate. (JUST KIDDING!)

Mura

We have only been cruising since 2013. Having said that, the demographic of passengers on Celebrity changed significantly since they started "free" drink packages and "Chic Night".

So how is that different from what Oceania offers? They do not have formal nights and you can get a free drink package as one of the O Life choices. You can substitute OBC on both lines as well. Of course on Oceania you can skip both and pay a lower fare and on Celebrity you don't get a perk with an inside cabin.

I personally have not seen seen a drinking problem on Celebrity, but maybe you have. I don't recall reading about big problems with drinking like you would see on a 3-4 night cruise on Carnival.

Holland America also got rid of their formal nights and they are currently offering a free drink package as part of their "Explore4" promotion. Do you want to suggest that their clientele is also going downhill if they buy with that promo?

Edited by MisterBill99
  • Like 1

dregs of society is also using dregs correctly ; it means the unwanted leftovers, bottom of the barrel, the passed over. Dregs is used for lots of terms not just society. I frequently leave my husband the dregs of a wine bottle :halo:

lol!

Why does your experience of hearing a word used in one way provide any rational basis for not understanding it when it is used, properly by the way, in another context?

Just never heard it used in a different context. I really don't understand why you're kind of blowing it out of proportion.

Edited by keithm

There is a related thread ongoing regarding a Celebrity passengers first voyage on Oceania Insigina, they are pleased. This thread also has similar comments as on this thread.

Regarding the Celebrity experience, there seems to be a significant increase in posters there becoming less and less than impressed with Luminare - some have reported eating in the specialities full time / buffet. For the price they are paying that is not good. Yes many report being satisfied, but having observed comments from 2015 onwards there is a definate increase in negative comments on the heavily sauced food, their fabled burger being really not enjoyable, the food not matching the description. Celebrity saying you can order off the MDR menu is not necessarily an asset considering the degradation of their once excellent MDR offerings. I was not impressed with the heaviness of both the Aqua Spa and Luminare menus - versus the amazing diversity of offerings on Oceania.

What I zero in on is the consistency of the product offering - Celebrity certainly has been accused by many many posters of cheapening the product everywhere - including Luminare.

From 1991 when I started on Celebrity to 2015, their product was consistently excellent and each year things were added. From 2015 onwards (start of suite class), the experience became less and less - hence we ended our patronage of Celebrity.

Now I see on the Oceania board some concern of Oceania cheapening their product with the new GDR menus - less variety, more repetition etc. This is not good.

In the end, each consumer has to decide what service provider provides the best chance of delivering. It is likely to change over time.

Celebrity is an very good cruise line, and in the beginning, it WAS the Oceania of that time. Now it is just another mass cruise line.

Oceania has established an excellent product and reputation - I hope they keep it consistently excellent and they will benefit from a sustained flow of guests leaving the mass cruise lines.

That's why we switched. We normally did Cunard(6 cruises in a row)True we cruise only once a year. We switched to Celebrity, due mainly to my travel restrictions. Winter is our travel time & Cunard gets their world cruise trips going at that time. Our TA suggested Celebrity & we tried them in 2014. Found everything to be overall excellent. In 2015 Everything was about the same. In 2016 due to a scheduling issue, we ended up going on the Regal Princess. Overall it was about the same as Celebrity. Food (beef)was not to Celebrity standards, while seafood was. We went back to the Eclipse(ship of choice)in 2017. Food had amazingly diminished in quality, except specialty rest, which were still excellent. Entertainment ha d declined a lot as well overall. We were mulling trying Oceania & gave the Riviera a shot this past Jan. Quality was like being back in Queens Grill on the QM2.

We understand the entertainment wouldn't be that great(the food's the entertainment)The String Quartet was excellent. Just the overall ambience was outstanding. You felt immediately comfortable & cosseted by the wonderful staff. The 10 days in Jan. were so good we've upped it to 14 days this coming Jan.

The other negative in both Blu and Luminae is that their tables are extremely close to each other, so you can’t really have a private conversation with your dining partner. The tables in O’s alternates are nowhere near as close together.

I guess that's how you stuff nearly 3000 pax on a ship!. We did love the privacy you had on the Riviera. I'll admit as a gay couple, we prefer to dine at a 2 top table. Not all tablemates are necessarily accepting. We found this out in Polo when we did have to share a table of 4 with 2 pax from Texas. Pretty obvious from the get go they weren't comfortable with us. Yet the next night we shared a table of 8 in Jacques & we ALL had a blast. Always the luck of the draw.

• Like 1

Just never heard it used in a different context. I really don't understand why you're kind of blowing it out of proportion.

Perhaps you should explore this feeling of "not understanding" as it may be at the root of your supposed inability to juxtapose words when used in contexts with which you are unfamiliar.

As noted by Rob The Cruiser, I experienced 2 Celebrity cruises post so called "free" booze package - TA and carribean, a portion of the guests were definately different than in the past and there was a distinct increase in loudness, rude behavior and other anti-social behavior (together with the deliberate decision to increase the loudness of the canned music) - all as envisioned by Celebrity in their dual business strategy of reducing the age of their guests and increase revenue.

It was the Celebrity business decision to reduce the serving staff throughout the ship which I believe contributed to frustration of guests trying the maximize their "free" booze package - Celebrity got their money and then made sure to limit the pourings by having no staff. Brilliant business move.

The service level on Oceania amazes us and is one of the main reasons we return to Oceania. The clientel, the country club atmosphere, service levels, food quality, smaller scale, ability to see the ocean, the lack of fixation on booze, non suite vs others mentality and not vegas at see type ships - keep us and all our friends re-booking with Oceania and eliminating the mass cruise lines (Celebrity) that we used to sail with.

To each their own.

I think the telling tale with Celebrity now is the $50 pp charge for their top specialities, (they were $30 not that long ago) they appear to be the same quality, but it shows how X feel the difference in quality is between the Speciality and the MDR. We haven't been on Celebrity for 3 years, but I must admit at where they are now placing themselves in the pricing market, the likes of O and some of the Luxury brands look a much better cost/quality option.

It's a pity as I do like their Solstice class ships, and I think the planned Edge-ification of the fleet will make them a less attractive product, unless you are able to be in a suite.

I guess that's how you stuff nearly 3000 pax on a ship!. We did love the privacy you had on the Riviera. I'll admit as a gay couple, we prefer to dine at a 2 top table. Not all tablemates are necessarily accepting. We found this out in Polo when we did have to share a table of 4 with 2 pax from Texas. Pretty obvious from the get go they weren't comfortable with us. Yet the next night we shared a table of 8 in Jacques & we ALL had a blast. Always the luck of the draw.

It is the luck of the draw, absolutely. We've never had terrible luck when sharing with strangers (usually quite the opposite) but I do remember one couple with whom we just weren't completely sympatico. Nothing obvious, we just had different interests. But we got along fine for one dinner.

Mura

Perhaps you should explore this feeling of "not understanding" as it may be at the root of your supposed inability to juxtapose words when used in contexts with which you are unfamiliar.

Look guys, it's simply a version I was not familiar with. There is NO supposed inability to juxtapose words. I asked for some clarification on the phrasing & got it. I asked my spouse the same question about "dregs" & he gave me the same answer. Perhaps you two need to come off your high horse a bit & lighten up.

• Like 1

I think the telling tale with Celebrity now is the $50 pp charge for their top specialities, (they were $30 not that long ago) they appear to be the same quality, but it shows how X feel the difference in quality is between the Speciality and the MDR. We haven't been on Celebrity for 3 years, but I must admit at where they are now placing themselves in the pricing market, the likes of O and some of the Luxury brands look a much better cost/quality option.

It's a pity as I do like their Solstice class ships, and I think the planned Edge-ification of the fleet will make them a less attractive product, unless you are able to be in a suite.

We found we never had to pay the $50. There were always plenty of discounts. I did notice the rest. were not a full as in the past. While certainly not cheap, we found O to really offer a lot for what you paid for. As to the edge class, I'm just waiting to hear about all the tech glitches that will likely occur.

• Thanks 1

As noted by Rob The Cruiser, I experienced 2 Celebrity cruises post so called "free" booze package - TA and carribean, a portion of the guests were definitely different than in the past and there was a distinct increase in loudness, rude behavior and other anti-social behavior (together with the deliberate decision to increase the loudness of the canned music) - all as envisioned by Celebrity in their dual business strategy of reducing the age of their guests and increase revenue.

Transatlantic cruises do not get the free perk/drink package so I think you'll need to find another reason for the perceived anti-social behavior. Maybe people bought it on their own because they had nothing else to do on the crossing.

You sound like the HAL fans complaining about that cruise line trying to attract younger cruisers. You can't have a business model where the average age of customers is 60.

You sound like the HAL fans complaining about that cruise line trying to attract younger cruisers. You can't have a business model where the average age of customers is 60.

Really? The cruise industry is segmented and the “fun” ships such as Carnival, Norwegian and Royal Caribbean are designed and marketed for the family demographic. The premium lines are designed for an older, wealthier demographic. It appears to me that the premium lines are doing very well as evidenced by the increasing fleet sizes and will continue to do so.