Door decorations?

newcruiser58

Maybe something to do with the World Cruise as we have a friend that does it that said the same thing despite she had to leave the last World Cruise in January only a couple of weeks after it started. As long as we have done our cruises nothing has been said about not being able to do it and having to take anything down and we have been on almost all the HAL ships. We started cruising on the old Nieuw Amsterdam in December, 1988.

Carnival door decoration guidelines, coming soon to a ship near you?

We recognize some of our guests like to decorate their staterooms and we, too, love seeing your creative decorations. However, for safety reasons, we must ask that you abide by the following guidelines for decorating your stateroom door as well as the interior of your stateroom.

In the interest of guest and crew safety, the following stateroom decoration policies will be instituted and strictly enforced:

• Decorations may consist only of fire retardant materials. Please note that items sprayed with fire retardant spray are not acceptable
  • Decorations may only be placed on the stateroom door and not the surrounding frame, walls or railings
  • You may use magnets or Command Strips but no adhesives such as tape or glue.
  • Over-the-door hanging organizers must hang inside the stateroom, must also be of fire retardant material and cannot damage the door
  • No decorations of any kind are allowed on balconies
  • No decorations or items may be placed over light fittings or fixtures. This may restrict the airflow and cause the item to ignite
  • No string lights of any kind are allowed

For the safety of all guests and crew, any decorations not made of fire retardant material or deemed flammable, will be removed and no compensation will be provided.

Stateroom decorations purchased via our Fun Shops online are made of fire retardant materials. For more information, please visit www.carnival.com/funshops if you are interested in making a purchase.

it can look really tacky. I am sure that Hal would prefer if cruisers didn't do this.

People don't seem to do it on their hotel room doors.

Sandra

Just got back from a convention where we filled 80% of the hotel. On our wing alone there were 2 of the 15 rooms with decorations. None were tacky.

I put up an origami penguin for my Antarctica trip. I got several complement notes and comments with several people saying it helped THEM find their cabin. And I had to replace the little guy about 4 times because he “ran off”.:(

He finally stayed put when I folded my last iteration inside out: so he was white on top and black inside, with Be Original” written on him.😬

Go for it! Don't let others dictate your cruise.

Some cruises, with family or celebrating an event, we have decorated our door. It adds to the fun and festive atmosphere.

The times we haven't decorated our door I enjoy seeing others creativity.

Info involving the string lights is interesting. I have used a string of battery operated lights on our little tree for years without a problem which is always inside our cabin. I have also seen what are also probable battery operated lights on cabin doors. Hopefully if something couldn't be on a cabin door those who have it up would at least be told it cant be there and asked to take it down to not loose it. I have seen some pretty nice obvious hand made decorations that a lot of time went in to making.

Oh and a few years ago when I was out on the beach at Port Everglades next to those big apartment buildings I watched a Royal Caribbean ship sail out as it was getting dark and there was a cabin where those passengers somehow had lights up on their verandah railing. It made me want to do the same thing but never have.

Pax on the World Cruise this year (ms Amsterdam) posted that they were told to take down any door decorations they had put up or the decorations would be removed.

Why, I have no idea but this was reported on WC blogs.

I think this is what I was remembering; I recall right before my last cruise earlier this year reading that door decorations were no longer allowed. So I was quite surprised to see more door decorations than usual on Maasdam. Someone had two sets of googly eyes on their door, lots of balloons and flowers, happy birthday banners, there was a craft activity making paper cutout designs before our first stop in Mexico so lots of those went on the doors. Our neighbors decorated their door with some sort of memory for each port and kept adding to it as we went along. It's the kind of thing I might do myself except I don't think my mother would go for it, so I decorate my cabin wall next to my bed with magnets that I pick up in port. But as long as the door decorating is non-destructive, I don't see the harm in it. If it adds a little happiness into someone's life or helps someone more easily locate their cabin, even better.

On a fairly recent (this century) cruise a neighboring cabin had hung a Christmas stocking on the door. As soon as the shops opened I had to visit to find a stocking stuffer. Other than a candy bar try finding something under 10 bucks in a ship shop! Went as cheap as possible for the first filler and utilized port shops for the rest of the cruise to leave a daily stocking stuffer. Also supplemented with trivia pin wins, etc...

The fun came from the sometimes difficult maneuvers to avoid being caught.

And yes, the stocking was emptied daily.

So now I guess we are outed as someone's secret Santa.

• Like 1

it can look really tacky. I am sure that Hal would prefer if cruisers didn't do this.

People don't seem to do it on their hotel room doors.

Sandra

We go to Walt Disney World every year as we are DVC and our home resort is Animal Kingdom Villas. We often go for Halloween and every year we see decorated hotel room doors. Some are not only creative but quite wonderful.

On a fairly recent (this century) cruise a neighboring cabin had hung a Christmas stocking on the door. As soon as the shops opened I had to visit to find a stocking stuffer. Other than a candy bar try finding something under 10 bucks in a ship shop! Went as cheap as possible for the first filler and utilized port shops for the rest of the cruise to leave a daily stocking stuffer. Also supplemented with trivia pin wins, etc...

Cute!! Now THAT sounds like fun!! :D

How fun!

Reminds me a bit of years ago our very popular IT Tech put a very large stocking (6’ Long) on his office door.

We sailed Princess last April, my brother-in-law had a birthday celebration while on the ship, Princess put a Happy Birthday sign and balloons on the cabin door. Saw that same thing on many other cabin doors, also had signs for Happy Anniversary. On our hallway alone must have been five or six cabins with signs and balloons. People left them up for the full cruise 15 days. Some people had small dry eraser boards on their door, I guess to leave messages for people in their group. I’ve seen cruise critic signs on doors as well, even on HAL ships. We were in the cabin next to my BIL, For me I did find it helpful to mark my own cabin door, didn’t have to look at any numbers just looked for the ballloons on his door. On HAL last November I won a prize that had orange bows on them, I put those bows on my cabin door and had them on for entire cruise 21 days. Room Stewart’s never ask me to take them down. On our April cruise we travelled also with our 84 years young MIL, although she is still with it pretty good mentally and has been on several cruises, she did get turned around a few times, (heck, we are in out 50’s and get turned around sometimes), I think it is a kind and thoughtful idea to help mark the door for your parents. Hope you all enjoy your cruise.

I have nothing against door signs although I also don't fully "appreciate" the whimsy involved. On one of our cruises, a decoration disappeared from a guest's door and I heard them asking the stewards what happened to it (they did not know) and asked them how to find it and get it back. The stewards felt badly for the guests but certainly couldn't do a cabin to cabin search for it!

Decorating one's cabin door seems a little corny to me but live and let live.

GO ahead and decorate your door to your heart's content! I am sure if it is not appropriate or might damage the door, I am sure the room steward or a supervisor might ask you to take it down.

Whatever you do, do NOT go on the advice of passengers or anyone on this board who feel it might be "tacky" or whatever. It is NOT their decision or their place to define how you enjoy your cruise.

But I am sure there are some who feel that their "cruise experience" might be diminished because they walked by your room for all of 2 seconds and you had a few balloons on your door or some other decoration.

Ignore them.

I say go ahead and decorate, but I don't understand it.

I always found a good way to quickly identify your cabin is to look at the three numbers that already decorate your door (for free!). Each cabin has a unique set of them installed already.

:')

GO ahead and decorate your door to your heart's content! I am sure if it is not appropriate or might damage the door, I am sure the room steward or a supervisor might ask you to take it down.

Whatever you do, do NOT go on the advice of passengers or anyone on this board who feel it might be "tacky" or whatever. It is NOT their decision or their place to define how you enjoy your cruise.

But I am sure there are some who feel that their "cruise experience" might be diminished because they walked by your room for all of 2 seconds and you had a few balloons on your door or some other decoration.

Ignore them.

Looks like the experience on Carnival ships that banned these due to fire hazard and crew safety concern may well play out on other ships too ....if as you suggest informal door decorations are taken to excess by their standards.. Or maybe Carnival just wanted a piece of the action allowing only inside cabin decorations they sell themselves.

It is the decision of other passengers to decide how they want to enjoy their cruise just as much as you claim to support those door decorating passengers who choose intrude on other passenger's enjoyment of shared public spaces. No sure why you view this so unilaterally. But it does seem to be an emerging social trend. I hear it elsewhere too.

Maybe it is just a newer variation of the 1960's mantra - follow your bliss and do your own thing. With the caveat ...as long as you don't hurt other people. How do you measure that when it is not even in consideration or you choose upfront what you think should "hurt or not". Not sure whether I am hearing a neo-libertarianism or just plain selfishness today. But I am hearing something new in thought, action and attitude across the ....new media.

Very cute and Fun. :)

It is the decision of other passengers to decide how they want to enjoy their cruise just as much as you claim to support those door decorating passengers who choose intrude on other passenger's enjoyment of shared public spaces.

You've got to be kidding me. My cabin door is a shared public space? And decorating it intrudes on other passengers' enjoyment? The world according to OlsSalt, complete with numerous rules and regulations.

Roz