Help me decide...comfort + or First Class

RetiredRich

We have always driven from Kentucky to the cruise ports on the cruises we have taken. But we booked the Hawaii cruise from San Diego and will have to fly. That is too far for me to drive. Looking to book our flights and can't decide if first class is worth the bucks. I'm a big man 280 pounds and don't want to sit in a seat my butt won't fit in. Are the seats in comfort plus big enough for me or will first class seats be bigger and more comfortable?

What you call "Comfort Plus" is the same seat you get in regular economy except that Delta gives you a few more inches of leg room. If the problem is your "butt" then Comfort Plus will do you little good other then to let you slump a bit more. If your DH really wants a wider seat you will need to book Delta First Class. You can check all this out yourself by going to Seatguru.com. You will need to look up the type aircraft or input the actual flight number, but Seatguru will give you the specifications of each type of seat.

Hank

At this stage of my life, with nobody knowing how many more miles I have under my "keel", if the air price is within reasonable (after shopping, of course), I'll book First Class/Business Class on whatever flights I want. If my frequent flyer accounts help: great. But, I don't count on it.

I just this week flew in a Delta comfort seat from San Diego to NYC. I’m a 5’ 7”, 140 lb female and thought it was tight. Agree that you get a bit more leg room, but not really a wider seat. I was quite disappointed to have wasted the extra money on this seat. I think they do better with their offerings on international flights.

My husband is a big guy and we started flying Delta First Class in 2009, when DH declared that he would never fly coach again. I flew Delta a few years ago from Tel Aviv to Los Angeles in Delta Comfort, and it was anything but comfortable. The seats are not any wider or padded.

In first you will get the Priority Line at the check in counter( big help when there are long lines, ) early boarding, your luggage space, a meal.. meals I have had on long flights have been quite good, a cushy large seat, pillow/blanket, snacks, drinks, closer proximity to the bathroom, no charge for baggage...can take 2 per person, your baggage is tagged Sky Priority and comes up first at destination...it is an overall better experience...it's a vacation! One CC member has a tag line "if you don't fly first class your kids will!"

Hope this helps!

Karen

Edited by Loreto
added info

Domestic First is the only way to fly if you're concerned about the width of the seat. Those of us on the larger end of the spectrum know from experience. I CAN squeeze into a regular seat but I basically have to sit there with my arms folded for the entire flight. Simply not an issue in First for Delta, United, or American.

We have always driven from Kentucky to the cruise ports on the cruises we have taken. But we booked the Hawaii cruise from San Diego and will have to fly. That is too far for me to drive. Looking to book our flights and can't decide if first class is worth the bucks. I'm a big man 280 pounds and don't want to sit in a seat my butt won't fit in. Are the seats in comfort plus big enough for me or will first class seats be bigger and more comfortable?
We budget for Business or First everywhere we fly. I do not want to arrive in worse shape than when I left. My shoulders are wider than a first class seat, and yes, a coach seat "makes my butt look big". Spring for First Class and have a drink to kick off your vacation.

I can't stress enough that you can get a lot of info by checking on seatguru.com

I fly a lot of regional and mid-size planes and some of those have very narrow seats and much less pitch between seats. This helps me decide on which flight to take, as well as when I definitely want to try to find a First Class seat that's in my price range. I'm larger size and appreciate the comfort of a roomier seat, and not having to worry about the person in front of me reclining their seat and hitting my knees (plus all the other perks and getting to take 2 bags at no additional cost).

Seatguru also helps me manage my expectations --- some First Class seats really aren't that wide ....... but are still better than a regular seat.

We fly maybe once or twice a year. We've come to the conclusion that first or business class is the way to go for flights, especially international.

Agree that you should go first class because your kids, if you have them, wouldn't think twice. The extra baggage allowance and other amenities, lounge, drinks, etc. are so worth it.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Forums mobile app

We have found that most "plus" seats on any airline refer almost always to leg room not butt room and some of those seats just don't seem to be made for normal sized people much less those of us who have some extra fluff around the mid section.

I second seatguru . com. Great website.

I don't think you are anywhere near it, but Jetblue Mint would be the answer to your prayers! True lie flat seats - supposedly the best business class in North America! Thats what I am flying for my San Diego departure for my Hawaii cruise.

Another item of consideration is the tray table. If your girth is on the large size, even in business/first, the tray tables that are in the arm rests of most planes, when opened up, do not push forward far enough to allow them to lie flat.

Be sure to also take a look at American Airlines - they got the best ranking for their first and business class seats on some online article. We have enjoyed flying them even in coach, because they do have 2-4-2 seating in their inventory of AirBus planes.

Of course First or Business is more comfortable, but we are fortunate in being able to fit (except with regard to legroom in my case) in the miserable coach seats- so we generally allocate discretionary funds elsewhere. We do select lines/equipment wherever possible to get the two seat next to an aisle configuration - to avoid the misery of extreme proximity to a real heavyweight.

if you can go first class. you are a big man and you will appreciate the larger space. you will also get a baggage allowance, usually 2 bags + a carry on. when cruising there is usually considerable baggage to bring along not to mention any thing you buy , souvenirs ect....hope you have a great cruise.

I read something a while ago that has stuck with me:

"If you don't go first class, your kids will."

For international flights we book business/first class seats. We worked for it and we're going to enjoy it.

Smooth Sailing! [emoji3] [emoji3] [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums