Nickel and dime before 1st cruise starts

...It’s really not that hard to understand, I purchased it for my husband and I have a medical note from my doctor.....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Does your doctor prohibit all drinks on the refreshment package? That’s pretty rare. Or just alcohol? That’s not uncommon.

If only alcohol, the policy is you buy refreshment package if your cabinmate buys the alcohol package. It’s not nickel and diming, it is the rule. If that bugs you, blame all those people who cheated wildly. Or tell your husband to buy his drinks one by one.

Why do you find it interesting that I got info about the alcohol package? It’s really not that hard to understand, I purchased it for my husband and I have a medical note from my doctor. What makes you so sure I’m going to have a miserable time on my cruise? I find it interesting that you’re making that judgement and you don’t even know me.

I find it interesting because you got enough info to know that you wouldn't have to buy the alcohol package for yourself so you got a doctor's note, which really wasn't necessary, but not enough info to know that if one person buys the package, the other has to get the refreshment package.

I feel you are going to have a miserable time because you have complained about the gambling on another thread and now this one complaining about the "nickel and diming." These are already negatives for you and it can and probably will have an effect on your cruise. You are correct, I don't know you but have seen those who have complaints prior to the cruise, continue to find things wrong because they look for them and don't enjoy the cruise.

Hopefully, I am wrong about the last point and that you will enjoy the cruise.

I find it interesting because you got enough info to know that you wouldn't have to buy the alcohol package for yourself so you got a doctor's note, which really wasn't necessary, but not enough info to know that if one person buys the package, the other has to get the refreshment package.

I feel you are going to have a miserable time because you have complained about the gambling on another thread and now this one complaining about the "nickel and diming." These are already negatives for you and it can and probably will have an effect on your cruise. You are correct, I don't know you but have seen those who have complaints prior to the cruise, continue to find things wrong because they look for them and don't enjoy the cruise.

I got the info because I called to order my husbands drink package, you have to do this by phone if you only need 1 package when you have a cabin booked for 2. You’re speaking on a situation you don’t know anything about. The info about the doctors note was given to me by the phone rep. I did get it waived for the alcohol and the refreshment package and only purchased 1 for my husband. You’re so invested in other discussions I’ve been in I’m starting to feel famous. [emoji23]🤣.

Does your doctor prohibit all drinks on the refreshment package? That’s pretty rare. Or just alcohol? That’s not uncommon.

If only alcohol, the policy is you buy refreshment package if your cabinmate buys the alcohol package. It’s not nickel and diming, it is the rule. If that bugs you, blame all those people who cheated wildly. Or tell your husband to buy his drinks one by one.

Yes, I’m only supposed to have water.

Link to gambling thread??

Something new i've seen in my last two or three cruises. At dinner in the MDR, the Maitre D would come by near the end and offer us a "special discount" on something, which if we say no, he will go to the next table. It varies, as I think from different people, but I've noticed it more. I want to say its at least several times per cruise.

On a Princess cruise the waiter told us about wine tasting the next day. It didn't bother me, was not a hard sell.

Yes, I’m only supposed to have water.

So, you are the rare exception with a doctor’s note specifing only water.

Let me see if I now understand your issue: Over the phone the first rep gave the info about the doctor’s note and also the refreshment option. So you contacted your doctor and acquired said note. Then when you called in, the. second rep repeated the refreshment option, which you declined, and allowed your husband to purchase the package with no package for you. So you got just what you wanted with no extra cost. But you are upset that the phone reps encouraged you to consider the refreshment package? And you had to say no! The horror! Surely a horror worthy of a CC thread!

I do sympathize with the drinker/nondrinker situation. I cannot drink alcohol now for medical reasons, so my D+ drinks are nonalcoholic ones while DH can have “real drinks”. He does not consume enough to buy a package. On an incoming NCL cruise, the beverage package could be included in cruise price, but we’d pay gratuities. Frankly, by the time one accounts for some freebies, he would not typically drink enough to break even on two sets of gratuities.

Keep in mind the reason cruiselines changed their policies to require cabinmates to all buy drink packages was rampant cheating/theft by too many cabinmates when only one bought the package. Really, the cruiselines are protecting themselves from the ugly side of too many cruisers, not nickel and diming. I suspect even now a few use medical excuses then share packages; I hope they get punished somehow (maybe the “no cruise list”).

So, you are the rare exception with a doctor’s note specifing only water.

Let me see if I now understand your issue: Over the phone the first rep gave the info about the doctor’s note and also the refreshment option. So you contacted your doctor and acquired said note. Then when you called in, the. second rep repeated the refreshment option, which you declined, and allowed your husband to purchase the package with no package for you. So you got just what you wanted with no extra cost. But you are upset that the phone reps encouraged you to consider the refreshment package? And you had to say no! The horror! Surely a horror worthy of a CC thread!

I do sympathize with the drinker/nondrinker situation. I cannot drink alcohol now for medical reasons, so my D+ drinks are nonalcoholic ones while DH can have “real drinks”. He does not consume enough to buy a package. On an incoming NCL cruise, the beverage package could be included in cruise price, but we’d pay gratuities. Frankly, by the time one accounts for some freebies, he would not typically drink enough to break even on two sets of gratuities.

Keep in mind the reason cruiselines changed their policies to require cabinmates to all buy drink packages was rampant cheating/theft by too many cabinmates when only one bought the package. Really, the cruiselines are protecting themselves from the ugly side of too many cruisers, not nickel and diming. I suspect even now a few use medical excuses then share packages; I hope they get punished somehow (maybe the “no cruise list”).

The issue is my room comes with a free soda package that I will already not be using. It makes no sense to purchase something I’m already getting for free when I have a medical note. I was transferred several times and each time got the same pitch about purchasing the refreshment package. When it’s something you medically can’t have it makes no sense to spend the extra money on it. Your comments are unnecessary “oh the horror”. Have a wonderful day!

The issue is my room comes with a free soda package that I will already not be using. It makes no sense to purchase something I’m already getting for free when I have a medical note. I was transferred several times and each time got the same pitch about purchasing the refreshment package. When it’s something you medically can’t have it makes no sense to spend the extra money on it. Your comments are unnecessary “oh the horror”. Have a wonderful day!

Well, honestly it really does not sound all that bad to me at all. You got what you wanted once you provided documentation and the employees documented that they offered/you declined the lesser packages. The employees probably want to keep their jobs; your listening to and declining is just NBD. Haven’t you now spent far more time ruminating and writing about it than you did on the phone with RCI?

On a Princess cruise the waiter told us about wine tasting the next day. It didn't bother me, was not a hard sell.

Its one thing to inform us of an event, its another to badly sugar coat it as a "special invitation". It wasn't even a hard sell. The tone that came out of it felt like the spam email you get constantly going "you've been specially chosen for **********". It made me feel kind of like a mark more than a customer, which was why I was bringing it up.

Well, honestly it really does not sound all that bad to me at all. You got what you wanted once you provided documentation and the employees documented that they offered/you declined the lesser packages. The employees probably want to keep their jobs; your listening to and declining is just NBD. Haven’t you now spent far more time ruminating and writing about it than you did on the phone with RCI?

I’m perfectly happy with the outcome and once I got what I wanted I came back on here to post the outcome. You’ve invested a lot of your time going back and forth on an issue that has been resolved. It’s no different than reading/ writing a product review of your experience to possibly help others who have the same issue. If people didn’t value reviews sites like this and others wouldn’t exist. Clearly you see an issue with me posting so don’t waste your time revisiting the topic.

I’m perfectly happy with the outcome and once I got what I wanted I came back on here to post the outcome. You’ve invested a lot of your time going back and forth on an issue that has been resolved. It’s no different than reading/ writing a product review of your experience to possibly help others who have the same issue. If people didn’t value reviews sites like this and others wouldn’t exist. Clearly you see an issue with me posting so don’t waste your time revisiting the topic.

What's wrong with just saying no. Sometimes it takes a double or triple no, but it works. No need for excuses.

Why are you annoyed? Just say NO. It's not that hard to do.

How many times must one say no before getting annoyed? In other areas of life No means NO. Harassment shouldn't be ok just because it is a cruise line doing the harassing.

How many times must one say no before getting annoyed? In other areas of life No means NO. Harassment shouldn't be ok just because it is a cruise line doing the harassing.

I completely agree! I also feel like if you don’t have a glowing review then maybe this isn’t the site to be on. Any complaint is met with negativity and I’ve been told I was going to have a miserable time on my cruise and I should cancel just because I had a negative experience trying to get a drink package waived. I’ve also read to not waste my time getting a massage because they try to hard sell other spa treatments. This is the purpose of reviews to kind of know what to expect.

We have never had any hassle on board.

I welcome it if they ask us about going to a Speciality restaurant because there are good deals to be had.

Don't like it? Then feel free to take your business somewhere else to stop the harassment. It's your call.

I completely agree! I also feel like if you don’t have a glowing review then maybe this isn’t the site to be on. Any complaint is met with negativity and I’ve been told I was going to have a miserable time on my cruise and I should cancel just because I had a negative experience trying to get a drink package waived. I’ve also read to not waste my time getting a massage because they try to hard sell other spa treatments. This is the purpose of reviews to kind of know what to expect.

I always get a massage, not much selling at end. I also dont mind talking to the roving waiters, you can negotiate the price a bit. 30% discount at Izumi is $30 for a couple

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk