Who thinks they should re-use ship names?

I know a number of lines do this. I just wish that some of the classics associated with the line were still around. I don't think any name is a big deal. Even when they announce new ones, sometimes they seem a bit out there, but we clearly quickly get used to them. But it would be cool to still have a Sovereign of The Seas or Monarch of The Seas. I'd love a Song of Norway, but it's one thing to wish they would revive old names, it's another to think they would ever drift from their current "of The Seas" nomenclature.

Thoughts?

Our first cruise was on the "OLD" Royal Princess. When we mention that cruise, I always feel I need to say it that way, because the current Royal Princess is nothing like the one we cruised on.

I think reusing the names is confusing.

Our first cruise was on the "OLD" Royal Princess. When we mention that cruise, I always feel I need to say it that way, because the current Royal Princess is nothing like the one we cruised on.

I think reusing the names is confusing.

I agree. I don't like the idea of reusing the names. When I tell people I sailed on the Chicken of the Seas (or whatever), I like that that's a unique identifier and that I don't have to indicate which one.

I know a number of lines do this. I just wish that some of the classics associated with the line were still around. I don't think any name is a big deal. Even when they announce new ones, sometimes they seem a bit out there, but we clearly quickly get used to them. But it would be cool to still have a Sovereign of The Seas or Monarch of The Seas. I'd love a Song of Norway, but it's one thing to wish they would revive old names, it's another to think they would ever drift from their current "of The Seas" nomenclature.

Thoughts?

P&O have done that several times.

I agree. I don't like the idea of reusing the names. When I tell people I sailed on the Chicken of the Seas (or whatever), I like that that's a unique identifier and that I don't have to indicate which one.

Completely agree.

I'm not opposed, but it leaves Sovereign, Monarch, Legend, and Splendour as your only options for reuse, because they're definitely going to keep the "of the Seas".

However, I don't think you'll see them being used because, as another poster mentioned, they don't really fit with the current direction of the brand. Unless Royal was to introduce a new class that was less gimmicky / more destination focused (slim to none chance of that happening).

I am of mixed feelings.

The Sovereign of the Seas has a special place in my heart. I sailed on her about year or two after her launch with a friend. We met some great people and had great fun and event visited them several times after the cruise.

I think doing a "Song of the Seas" would be a great idea. Incorparating a previous name but using current nomenclature.

The older ships had those names for a reason.

They are the strongest, best sounding names. Sovereign, Monarch, Legend, etc.

Names started sounding very stupid with the "Independence" and got worse with each one after that.

Now the names are just downright ridiculous. Symphony, Allure, Ovation, etc.

They really should re-vamp the names into the newer ships.

Princess & HAL have done it. Works for them.

Thoughts?

A new ship was named Titanic ,not a good idea to me.

I find it confusing.

I can keep up with Princess …. I know there was an older Royal Princess (Godmother was Princess Diana), and now there's a new one and that there was a Regal Princess before and a new one now.

However, I do get confused on Holland America. Sometimes I think "is that old ship still around?" only to find out it's not, at least not that old one, but a new one is.:confused:

I disagree on "Allure of the Seas". It was the allure of the seas (notice lower case) that got me doing cruises 30 years ago.

The older ships had those names for a reason.

They are the strongest, best sounding names. Sovereign, Monarch, Legend, etc.

Names started sounding very stupid with the "Independence" and got worse with each one after that.

Now the names are just downright ridiculous. Symphony, Allure, Ovation, etc.

They really should re-vamp the names into the newer ships.

Princess & HAL have done it. Works for them.