Havana not enforced

mbe30

On the Horizon right now. The Havana deck enforcement is spotty at best. The doormen are ok when around but mia so often that many get in without wristbands. What’s the point? Save your money, folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oh I did. I was told that I could call the pursar’s desk anytime I saw someone without a wristband. It’s incredibly relaxing policing a deck that I paid to be on. Thanks for the tip.

I refuse to wear a wrist band. They give me a rash. I found the Havana pools under populated anyhow, so why are you worried about wrist bands?

Havana rooms are perfect for those who like rear balconies and uncrowded public spaces. It is worth the money.

You may not wear it but you should have it with you. Or your cabin key to prove you are allowed to be there.

To the OP: I would tell the door guard anytime you see someone out there without a wrist band so they can investigate. You paid all the extra money for a reason.

Thanks, I have. Unfortunately the door guards seem to wander off quite a bit. Some are better than others. When I mentioned the issue at the Pursar’s desk they told me it was the responsibility of the bartenders, the housekeeping staff on the deck, as well as the door guard. It doesn’t seem right to ask the always-busy bartenders and housekeeping staff to investigate when the door guard’s solo duty seems to be guarding the door.

Oh well. First problems and all that.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I’m surprised by these responses; the Havana area — whether underutilized or not — is advertised and priced as an “exclusive” section of the ship. If I’m paying for this, I think it’s reasonable to expect enforcement of this exclusivity, to be frustrated if it is not, and to expect folks to abide by conditions of use (i.e., wearing the bracelet).

I’m sorry you are disappointed and that Carnival has not responded in a helpful way. I’d take it up the chain were I you.

I could see this problem coming. "I'm cruising with my friends who don't have a Havana cabin. I paid all that extra so absolutely should be able to invite whoever I want into the Havana pool area." Carnival cruisers at their best.

Oddly enough this seems to be people who have wandered in on their own without friends. Your sentiment is what I had thought might be the case as well.

I’m surprised by these responses; the Havana area — whether underutilized or not — is advertised and priced as an “exclusive” section of the ship. If I’m paying for this, I think it’s reasonable to expect enforcement of this exclusivity, to be frustrated if it is not, and to expect folks to abide by conditions of use (i.e., wearing the bracelet).

I’m sorry you are disappointed and that Carnival has not responded in a helpful way. I’d take it up the chain were I you.

Thanks, RebelAthena. I don’t think it’s unreasonable either. And I don’t mean to imply that it’s not enforced at all - it is. Just not enough.

Is it possible that some prefer not to wear their wristband, and keep it in their pocket instead?

Beachbum- you could well be right, but if not visible, the attendants should be challenging those people to produce it, not just assume that they have it tucked away somewhere. Worse yet, if there's no one even there to challenge them that's not right.

Beachbum- you could well be right, but if not visible, the attendants should be challenging those people to produce it, not just assume that they have it tucked away somewhere. Worse yet, if there's no one even there to challenge them that's not right.

Yes, I have no issue whatsoever with someone not wearing their wristband. That is their right and no one should be uncomfortable on their vacation. We are on day 5 on an 8-day trip. At this point, we all know each other. The wristbands are not really necessary at this point. My issue is that there is so often simply no one watching the area to make sure that non-Havana guests are not using it.

New to CCL and will be on Horizon in December. All these recent threads about CCL not enforcing their own rules (dress code, chair-saving, Havana, family lounge, etc.) are leaving a bad taste in my mouth. Since I have not experienced it, I know I have no place to comment, but I am hoping I dont see any of it in person.

I would think if there is a physical gate, you would just swipe your key. I'm too cheap to book one of these, so I guess I never really thought about how they keep track of who belongs there & who does not. Isn't there also a time when the general population is allowed to use the pool there?

My goodness. I’m sorry that I’ve upset you so. Yes I’m enjoying my cruise. I hope everyone else does a well. Have a good night all.

Enjoy your cruise, let us know how the rest we t when you get back.

The OP began the thread saying the "guards" weren't enforcing the rules and telling people not to waste their money. Then toned down quite a bit. The only unduly harsh post was the first one.

I have heard very few complaints about folks being able to run rampant through the havana area during the restricted hours, and I hope potential new cruisers booking it won't be turned by with stuff like this. Just because you don't see the wristbands on doesn't mean people don't belong there.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

On the Horizon right now. The Havana deck enforcement is spotty at best. The doormen are ok when around but mia so often that many get in without wristbands. What’s the point? Save your money, folks.

With all the technology available and this being a new ship, how is entry NOT automated?

:confused::mad:

Someone earlier mentioned “guards” also being able to validate Havana access via your stateroom card. Is this true?

I also dislike wearing a wristband (tan lines, yuck!) but don’t mind showing it or my key card if asked. I’m a carnival newbie sailing horizon next month, just trying to get as much info as possible from the boards before we sail!!

Thanks y’all!

I would think if there is a physical gate, you would just swipe your key. I'm too cheap to book one of these, so I guess I never really thought about how they keep track of who belongs there & who does not. Isn't there also a time when the general population is allowed to use the pool there?

So herein lies the problem (if in fact there is a problem). The answer to your question is yes and no. On floor 5 outside, you can circumnavigate the ship with the exception of the Havana area. There are two "gates" that Havana guests can unlock (at least in theory, I never tried it) to get to the Havana area from the outside. From inside, you go through the Havana bar area which is centered, and there are two egresses one on each side of the bar, the one to the left is a revolving door (where one of the two attendants would challenge somebody coming through to the outside area. The one on the right is not used on the Horizon and was used on the Vista (not sure if it is now). The reason it is not used is it is difficult to "watch" both sets of doors. To make the doors work by badge would be very difficult and hard to manage (multiples going through with one swipe etc.

There are two attendants, one female and one male that man the area, give out Havana towels etc. There are two others (not there all the time that man the bar. Hope this helps.

New to CCL and will be on Horizon in December. All these recent threads about CCL not enforcing their own rules (dress code, chair-saving, Havana, family lounge, etc.) are leaving a bad taste in my mouth. Since I have not experienced it, I know I have no place to comment, but I am hoping I dont see any of it in person.

I will attempt to state this as politely as possible. Some people on Cruise Critic are gloom and doom about everything--NO one follows the dress code, EVERYone (except those on here of course) takes off tips, etc. However, what I have experienced on my cruises is that most people follow the rules and are really fun and polite. I have seen people turned away from the dining room due to dress code issues more times than I've seen them come in inappropriately dressed (I don't count women in fancy sandals as wearing flip flops even though some do). There are chair hogs, but I just move their stuff if it's been long enough. I've seen babies in the pool inappropriately once or twice, but once they are seen, they are asked to leave.

I have a Havana Cabana on our next cruise. I'll see how the enforcement goes. If it's an issue, I'll politely say something.

I will attempt to state this as politely as possible. Some people on Cruise Critic are gloom and doom about everything--NO one follows the dress code, EVERYone (except those on here of course) takes off tips, etc. However, what I have experienced on my cruises is that most people follow the rules and are really fun and polite. I have seen people turned away from the dining room due to dress code issues more times than I've seen them come in inappropriately dressed (I don't count women in fancy sandals as wearing flip flops even though some do). There are chair hogs, but I just move their stuff if it's been long enough. I've seen babies in the pool inappropriately once or twice, but once they are seen, they are asked to leave.

I have a Havana Cabana on our next cruise. I'll see how the enforcement goes. If it's an issue, I'll politely say something.

Thanks for the reassurance :)

We got off the Horizon a last week and had a Havana cabin. They did a good job of telling people to leave if they did not have the wristband.

There was an early issue. For the first 2 days a five year old kid was there running around. Supposedly Carnival let them book the room with the kid in it so they let him stay. Lots of people complained since he was running around and they finally told the family no more. Not a big deal but he was jumping in and out of hot tubs. I don't need that.

IF they are letting people in without a wristband, talk to guest services. They will work on it.

These kinds of things are no-win scenarios for Carnival. If people sneak in, others get mad. If Carnival makes people wear a wristband, some will get mad. Some people just want it so they aren't inconvenienced, period. Easier said than done.