Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Those ravioli look delish! And much healthier than my dinner.

I wanted to cook something new today but couldn't find any inspiring cuts of meat at the grocery store. So it was going to be pork chops for dinner. Until I came up with the idea of making one of my favorite German dishes, pork schnitzel in a creamy mushroom sauce. I've seen it called either Rahmschnitzel or Jägerschnitzel. Not sure which is more correct. I suspect that the version that I make incorporates traditional elements of both.

So I pounded the chops out a little thinner, coated them with salt, pepper, and paprika incorporated into a bit of mustard, then fried them and kept them warm in the oven while making the sauce. Onions and lots of mushrooms fried in butter, add flour, and then (homemade duck) broth to make a gravy. Put the chops back in and rest in the oven while I went to step two...

A dish like this begs for Spätzle. But we didn't have any. So I made them from scratch. Flour, eggs, milk, and salt came together into a nice dough. After I got the water boiling, I squeezed the dough backwards through the coarse holes of a cheese grater (the side that you use to shred mozzarella) into the boiling water. They were cooked within a few minutes and ready to eat.

Lastly, I stirred some sour cream into the mushroom gravy and dinner was served!

20221030_164918.thumb.jpg.1ff82e4d4662fe777296f82da22084f2.jpg

The reason that I think this is a combination of the two recipes is because Rahm means cream, and Jäger means "hunter" (as in, hunting for mushrooms in the woods ) so this recipe incorporates both elements. I first tried it for lunch in Trier, as part of a combination schnitzel plate. Half was served with a creamy mushroom sauce and the other half with a spicy pepper and onion sauce called "Zigeuner" Schnitzel. I have been hooked ever since.

The homemade Spätzle were great. Irregular and rustic but delicious, and they went well with the mushroom gravy. After this I'm not sure that I will want to buy the ready-made ones again.

Screenshot_20221030-180113_Gallery.thumb.jpg.9d3bb8fe1a8da8887d818fe7221c1e74.jpg

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 8

40 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Those ravioli look delish! And much healthier than my dinner.

I wanted to cook something new today but couldn't find any inspiring cuts of meat at the grocery store. So it was going to be pork chops for dinner. Until I came up with the idea of making one of my favorite German dishes, pork schnitzel in a creamy mushroom sauce. I've seen it called either Rahmschnitzel or Jägerschnitzel. Not sure which is more correct. I suspect that the version that I make incorporates traditional elements of both.

So I pounded the chops out a little thinner, coated them with salt, pepper, and paprika incorporated into a bit of mustard, then fried them and kept them warm in the oven while making the sauce. Onions and lots of mushrooms fried in butter, add flour, and then (homemade duck) broth to make a gravy. Put the chops back in and rest in the oven while I went to step two...

A dish like this begs for Spätzle. But we didn't have any. So I made them from scratch. Flour, eggs, milk, and salt came together into a nice dough. After I got the water boiling, I squeezed the dough backwards through the coarse holes of a cheese grater (the side that you use to shred mozzarella) into the boiling water. They were cooked within a few minutes and ready to eat.

Lastly, I stirred some sour cream into the mushroom gravy and dinner was served!

20221030_164918.thumb.jpg.1ff82e4d4662fe777296f82da22084f2.jpg

The reason that I think this is a combination of the two recipes is because Rahm means cream, and Jäger means "hunter" (as in, hunting for mushrooms in the woods ) so this recipe incorporates both elements. I first tried it for lunch in Trier, as part of a combination schnitzel plate. Half was served with a creamy mushroom sauce and the other half with a spicy pepper and onion sauce called "Zigeuner" Schnitzel. I have been hooked ever since.

The homemade Spätzle were great. Irregular and rustic but delicious, and they went well with the mushroom gravy. After this I'm not sure that I will want to buy the ready-made ones again.

Screenshot_20221030-180113_Gallery.thumb.jpg.9d3bb8fe1a8da8887d818fe7221c1e74.jpg

JP,  you are a gleaming example of culinary delight!  Bravo!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

They look great, but not sure I can replicate!    🙂

19 minutes ago, mysty said:

No hope of replicating here Que!  Just an appreciation of the artistry!  😁

You can do it! This was my first shot at it. I already have plans to tweak the next batch.

1 cup of flour, about 1/2 tsp salt, 2 eggs, and about 1/4 cup of milk. I substituted 2 Tbsp of whole wheat and the rest was all-purpose white flour.

Mix flour and salt. Beat the eggs then pour them into the flour. Start mixing, and as you go, add enough milk to make a soft dough. It should be thicker than cake or muffin batter - you should not be able to pour it. Not quite as thick as bread dough, and more sticky. And definitely not as thick as regular pasta that you'd put through a press. It needs to be soft enough to go through the holes of a grater.

Let it sit a bit while you choose an appropriate wine to go with dinner...

The force it through a grater into the boiling water, and enjoy! I used a box grater which was a bit more challenging since I had to put the dough on the inside and force it out. Otherwise I would have grated pieces of my spatula into the boiling water, along with the dough. I tried a silicone spatula first but it was a bit wimpy, so a bamboo spatula worked better. It cooks quickly. Once it floats, it's done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

You can do it! This was my first shot at it. I already have plans to tweak the next batch.

1 cup of flour, about 1/2 tsp salt, 2 eggs, and about 1/4 cup of milk. I substituted 2 Tbsp of whole wheat and the rest was all-purpose white flour.

Mix flour and salt. Beat the eggs then pour them into the flour. Start mixing, and as you go, add enough milk to make a soft dough. It should be thicker than cake or muffin batter - you should not be able to pour it. Not quite as thick as bread dough, and more sticky. And definitely not as thick as regular pasta that you'd put through a press. It needs to be soft enough to go through the holes of a grater.

Let it sit a bit while you choose an appropriate wine to go with dinner...

The force it through a grater into the boiling water, and enjoy! I used a box grater which was a bit more challenging since I had to put the dough on the inside and force it out. Otherwise I would have grated pieces of my spatula into the boiling water, along with the dough. I tried a silicone spatula first but it was a bit wimpy, so a bamboo spatula worked better. It cooks quickly. Once it floats, it's done.

Thank you JP!  I will pass this to Myster!  He loves Spätzle!  ❤️ 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, QueSeraSera said:

Happy Halloween everyone.  We actually had 2 trick or treat groups tonight - good thing I bought a package of Nutrigrain bars and another of Reese's peanut butter cups 🙂

May be an image of text

Nutrigrain bars? It is Halloween for goodness sake. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

121 trick or treaters. It was crazy. No nutrigrain bars here. A mini chocolate bar, a small bag of potato chips and a small bag of candy. Unfortunately I ran out of chips at number 108. We’ve been in this house for four Halloweens and this is the biggest number yet.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jollyjones said:

Don't worry, Nutrigrain bars are full of added sugar, such a con.

That’s exactly what I was thinking; have you read the ingredient list?  I mean, there’s a reason why ol’ Stumbles likes ‘em and it has nothing to do with nutrition or whole grains.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, jollyjones said:

Don't worry, Nutrigrain bars are full of added sugar, such a con.

Never believe the marketing, always read the labels with a critical eye.

I just know if I was trick or treating, my friends and I would be skipping that house. LOL!  I am just teasing 😉

• Haha 1