Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

31 minutes ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

Mysty,  a belated Happy Birthday to you!  It looks as if you enjoyed a lovely celebration of this milestone.

But the celebrations can continue, if you like. One of my friends celebrates what she calls “the birthday zone”, so you’re not limited to just a single day. 
And another friend believes that your birthday “zone” should cover 1 day for each year of age attained. So your celebrations can continue till the latter part of January…🥂

Thank you Dolce!  I love the suggested birthday zone concept!  End of January sounds good to me!  😁  Let the celebration continue!  🍾🍷🍸🍹🥂

• Like 2

Tonight's low in the Albany area is 22F so I'm expecting a killing frost. So I picked all of the full-sized tomatoes from the garden yesterday. What to do with a bunch of green tomatoes?

I could have made a batch of chutney but we don't really eat that very much so it would probably be a wasted effort. Green tomato ketchup sounded very interesting but no time to fuss with canning it.

So I found a recipe for pasta with green tomato sauce. Interesting idea! To prepare, I chopped a bunch of unripe tomatoes and cooked them in olive oil and garlic, with what was left of the fresh herbs from the garden.

20221114_174902.thumb.jpg.c45696bb040e2cc941beaa09022d2f09.jpg

It reduced very well after a half hour on the stove, and even the green tomatoes softened nicely. The olive oil and garlic tempered the tartness of the unripe tomatoes. And a fresh chili pepper added some heat.

20221114_183748.thumb.jpg.639c61c9bb0a43837bd45b9ab33dcdd7.jpg

Nice dish! With rigatoni and grated Parmesan to finish.

20221114_190635.thumb.jpg.e125b553c92441cef4d7539ddd2a491f.jpg

Now some last-minute preparation for tomorrow's flight to Helsinki! After a year, and a cancelation, looks like it will finally happen.

I don't think that I can fit my tripod in the carryon so I'll have to come up with another way to hold the camera still... Or maybe I'll just enjoy the aurora and not worry about pictures... (that's so likely).

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

Tonight's low in the Albany area is 22F so I'm expecting a killing frost. So I picked all of the full-sized tomatoes from the garden yesterday. What to do with a bunch of green tomatoes?

I could have made a batch of chutney but we don't really eat that very much so it would probably be a wasted effort. Green tomato ketchup sounded very interesting but no time to fuss with canning it.

So I found a recipe for pasta with green tomato sauce. Interesting idea! To prepare, I chopped a bunch of unripe tomatoes and cooked them in olive oil and garlic, with what was left of the fresh herbs from the garden.

It reduced very well after a half hour on the stove, and even the green tomatoes softened nicely. The olive oil and garlic tempered the tartness of the unripe tomatoes. And a fresh chili pepper added some heat.

We have a winner! Looks great!

Edited by turtlemichael
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Now some last-minute preparation for tomorrow's flight to Helsinki! After a year, and a cancelation, looks like it will finally happen.

I don't think that I can fit my tripod in the carryon so I'll have to come up with another way to hold the camera still... Or maybe I'll just enjoy the aurora and not worry about pictures... (that's so likely).

Looks great.

Have a nice trip and should possible, post some pictures!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

JP you are a legend in the kitchen. Enjoy your trip.

In Helsinki we often went to the Belge bar as they did great Moules et frites but also good comfort food such as BBQ. Menus come on a page from the TinTin comics. Not gourmet but enjoyable and not too expensive.

https://raflaamo.fi/en/restaurant/helsinki/belge

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So Bryan Adams is a Canadian!  Mysty, wish you had told me.  LISTENING TO Summer of 69 tonight, but also this recent release (only click if in the mood for music or want to see this guy's wonderful dog, made me think of daveywavy's recent post)  so glad to see you DW

Time to get our tilapia and onion rings cookin...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

So Bryan Adams is a Canadian!  Mysty, wish you had told me.  LISTENING TO Summer of 69 tonight, but also this recent release (only click if in the mood for music or want to see this guy's wonderful dog, made me think of daveywavy's recent post)  so glad to see you DW

Time to get our tilapia and onion rings cookin...

Beautiful!  Sorry I was remiss in informing you about our Bryan Adams.  Canadians typically don't create a stir!  We appreciate and hope that others will too! 😁

• Like 1

About 30 minutes to Amsterdam. Much too early for breakfast! Still full from dinner.

Flights smooth so far. Long layover until our flight to Helsinki. If we weren't worried about the lines to get back into Schipol, we'd think about a quick jaunt to Amsterdam this morning. 

But probably not... We'll most likely just hang out at the airport and chill. There's a nice lounge.

• Like 5

@jpalbny There's a branch of the Rijksmuseum in the Schiphol terminal.  

https://www.schiphol.nl/en/at-schiphol/discover/facilities/rijksmuseum

You could spend a little time there.  [Or, someplace that serves alcohol.  Hm, hard choice...]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Is it a later than usual start to winter?

We lived in Hamilton Ontario in 1979/80.

I remember our first snowfall was in October, we were all so excited (our boys were 2 and 4)

It was the first time we had seen snow and it was so pretty. By December, we were totally over it, LOL.

Meanwhile, here in South Australia we are waiting for summer to arrive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joc123 said:

Is it a later than usual start to winter?

We lived in Hamilton Ontario in 1979/80.

I remember our first snowfall was in October, we were all so excited (our boys were 2 and 4)

It was the first time we had seen snow and it was so pretty. By December, we were totally over it, LOL.

Meanwhile, here in South Australia we are waiting for summer to arrive.

23 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

That's just a frosting.  Does it even count?

Actually this is early from recent years.   We have been known to have snow in the middle of November but not in recent years.  And Stumble.....even a frosting is not going to be welcomed by someone who detests winter!  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, mysty said:

someone who detests winter

Perhaps there's beauty to be found:

A Midwest US (Iowa) relative posted this photo on Facebook, taken a couple years ago, thought I would share here.  She called it white on white.

May be an image of nature

JP, according to no one but me, Finland has some of the best butter on Earth - enjoy!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

Perhaps there's beauty to be found:

A Midwest US (Iowa) relative posted this photo on Facebook, taken a couple years ago, thought I would share here.  She called it white on white.

May be an image of nature

JP, according to no one but me, Finland has some of the best butter on Earth - enjoy!

Thank you Que!  I enjoy the spectacle from indoors!  My body temperature gauge struggles when our temps hit -1C.  I spend the winter wearing multiple layers indoors.   I rarely venture outdoors because I can't maintain body heat.   I recognize that the winter landscape is beautiful.   I just can't enjoy outdoors!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mysty said:

Thus begins the winter of my discontent.....

20221116_090209.thumb.jpg.fa2646733ada706b884466ebd269e289.jpg

Mysty, and here summer is finally coming and yesterday (national holiday) we had a very very hot day. I do not like this days, I cant stand hot days.... can we move to somewhere that is always spring? No cold winter, no hot summer!

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Lirio said:

Mysty, and here summer is finally coming and yesterday (national holiday) we had a very very hot day. I do not like this days, I cant stand hot days.... can we move to somewhere that is always spring? No cold winter, no hot summer!

Lirio,  that would be heaven on earth!  🥰

• Like 3