Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Lots of great funnies!!!  In Ohio, there are a number of Amish folks.  But, I do not think many of the Amish are using the Internet to see that earlier posting about them here on the Cruise Critic boards.  Don't think any of them will be offended by the negative reference to the "Amish Powerball".   Humor can be "sensitive" to some these days.  How do you keep a few from maybe being somehow offended?

Earlier this month, speaking of comedy, we attended a Jay Leno performance here in Central Ohio.  He was at age 72 and after his two recent accidents, excellent, so totally funny, full of continuous energy, etc. Was about eighth row in a smaller theater only holding 768 people.  Worked very well to enjoy fully his amazing performance.  

Jay walks on and immediately asks “What did you expect to see . . . a charcoal briquette?”   Lots of jokes and stories about his mother, everyday life, dealing with mob folks early in his career, medical commercials seen on TV, etc.  He had a high energy level, strong and continuous for 90 straight minutes.   No breaks or dead points in his show and performance.  How many in their 70's can pull off that type of mental and physical concentration and high-level presentation?   

Jay took some questions from the audience and did a nice interplay with people in their seats.  No bitterness regarding his earlier shifting TV roles from Tonight show, etc.  He shared some great stories about him and old comedians such as Rodney Dangerfield, Don Rickles, etc.  Could not have asked for a better show!!

Jay did not do any "blue humor" and reflected that doing comedy in these "sensitive days" is much more challenging to avoid offending someone politically, personally, etc.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

It will be a high of 57F today in Central Ohio with lots of great sunshine right now.  Almost like being in Florida??  It has been that way for the past couple of days.  Tomorrow with be sunny and a high of 56F.  Wednesday and Thursday, we will have highs of 68F and 65F.   Why go south for the winter?

Yesterday, below are a few visuals that I captured in going out and walking around to enjoy the wonderful weather.  Spring flowers are here and it is not even yet to mid February!!!

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 246,097 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1172051-livesilver-cloud-norway-coastfjords-july-1-16-reports/

In our wooded backyard area, there were lots of these Spring flowers coming up very early and looking good.  Like?:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these visuals larger/better!)

image.thumb.jpeg.d5320af844a98b0039b8d287e27dd011.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.887849ed1c2379fcd18f6dfcc67cca12.jpeg

Right near our home, here is this deer buck with an impressive rack.:

image.thumb.jpeg.3dfe979020d64a871dd4551f9cb95eee.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, rojaan19 said:

Cnfr7eav5oe-png__700.jpg.06416ebce4be58659278317a673e39fe.jpg

Ha! You just reminded me...a number of years ago I was on a business trip on Valentine's Day and the flight attendants handed customized and hand-signed valentines to myself and 3 other passengers who were "million-milers" (had flown more than a million miles with that airline).   A nice touch - until you realize that the only valentine you received that year was from an airline! 😆

Edited by Dolcevita Diva
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Humor can be "sensitive" to some these days.  How do you keep a few from maybe being somehow offended?

I think it must be the week I've been through, or maybe something else, but I have so enjoyed Terry's posts these past years, I will take this question at face value and try to answer it.

My only qualification is that my only sister (Tina) was born mentally & physically handicapped due to an accident at birth.  Heard way too many spaz jokes that were, of course, not meant to be offensive.  I loved my sister.  So sadly & simply, they were.  I had to grow out of fist fights and impromptu wrestling matches defending her as I grew up.  I lost most of the fights.

If the object of your humor is someone's religion (e.g. born and raised Amish), ethnicity, handicap, intelligence (by what scale anyway?) or ... I'm sure there's others... then find another way to be funny.

It's really not nice or funny to make fun of anyone because of their beliefs, station in life, physical or mental limitations, in my view.  But, apologies for being on the soapbox, and no one is perfect, especially me.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

I think it must be the week I've been through, or maybe something else, but I have so enjoyed Terry's posts these past years, I will take this question at face value and try to answer it.

My only qualification is that my only sister (Tina) was born mentally & physically handicapped due to an accident at birth.  Heard way too many spaz jokes that were, of course, not meant to be offensive.  I loved my sister.  So sadly & simply, they were.  I had to grow out of fist fights and impromptu wrestling matches defending her as I grew up.  I lost most of the fights.

If the object of your humor is someone's religion (e.g. born and raised Amish), ethnicity, handicap, intelligence (by what scale anyway?) or ... I'm sure there's others... then find another way to be funny.

It's really not nice or funny to make fun of anyone because of their beliefs, station in life, physical or mental limitations, in my view.  But, apologies for being on the soapbox, and no one is perfect, especially me.

No apologies necessary Que!  There are fairly obvious (to most)  "funnies " that aren't respectful,  especially to the groups of folks you have mentioned.  The issue becomes "what is funny" outside of those parameters.   It seems folks have lost the ability to laugh at inoffensive jokes.  If the world stops enjoying innocent and non-abusive humour,  where are we?  We don't all enjoy the same jokes!  Understandably!  Now, however,  it's more difficult to enjoy humour (inoffensive humour) without offending someone who does not share that sense of humour.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mysty said:

It seems folks have lost the ability to laugh at inoffensive jokes.  If the world stops enjoying innocent and non-abusive humour,  where are we?  We don't all enjoy the same jokes!  Understandably!  Now, however,  it's more difficult to enjoy humour (inoffensive humour) without offending someone who does not share that sense of humour.

I know everybody  doesnt "get"  all the humour on here,  hell,  we are all from all  ports around this globe,  what we think is hilarious in Australia  could be offensive in Asia,  but I think  the original  poster  is not trying to  offend anyone  - it is just something that is funny in their country -  and they  are sharing it.   Go  with the flow  !!  Laugh or ignore it  - it IS your choice,   keep  scrolling  down. 

Edited by rojaan19
  • Like 3

Quite often I just 'don't get' funnies simply because they are very much geared to stuff I don't understand, usually about things specific to the USA or occasionally other countries.  Now and again I just don't find them funny - I am afraid I do have a childish delight in 'rude' ones, especially referring to parts of the body and/or ageing.  Understand most of those only too well.

Lola

• Like 1

M, I never had anything like that and I was definitely that age in the (early) 70s. In fact my favorite place to ride was in my grandparent's station wagon. The front seat was a bench seat which had an armrest in the middle so I'd sit on that, between them, so I could see where we were going! Seatbelt? What was that?

And don't get me started about riding in the back of the pickup truck...

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 4
  • Haha 4

When I was a boy, I heard this song on the one speaker AM radio given as a Christmas gift and loved it.

When I watch this video now, I see people the age of my children today, and the oldest of my grandchildren today, singing it again.   So shared with my kids on Voltemort (Stumbles knows what I'm trying to spell there) and then thought I'd share here.  I do understand, each of us has our own musical tastes, so as someone wrote above, just scroll on by if not interested (walk on by....)

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

When I was a boy, I heard this song on the one speaker AM radio given as a Christmas gift and loved it.

When I watch this video now, I see people the age of my children today, and the oldest of my grandchildren today, singing it again.   So shared with my kids on Voltemort (Stumbles knows what I'm trying to spell there) and then thought I'd share here.  I do understand, each of us has our own musical tastes, so as someone wrote above, just scroll on by if not interested (walk on by....)

Awesome Que!  Thank you!

• Like 1