Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

30 minutes ago, turtlemichael said:

Davey, the last pic is I think of a section of the Perth-Kalgoorlie water pipeline, an amazing engineering achievement in its time that keeps the Goldfields area in water today 120 years later.  Goldfields Water Supply Scheme - Wikipedia

Well spotted and Thank you for your insight Turtle, we are indeed en route to Kalgoorlie with a fluidly set arrival around 9 for the tour. What an utterly incredible land that you are so privileged to live in xxx

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, DavyWavey70 said:

Well spotted and Thank you for your insight Turtle, we are indeed en route to Kalgoorlie with a fluidly set arrival around 9 for the tour. What an utterly incredible land that you are so privileged to live in xxx

I did that train trip many years ago (when Adam was a boy). It is amazing. I guess Mysty has told you that Adelaide, another of your stops I think, is her favourite city in the world?  See if you can find a property for her as we need her here!

Edited by turtlemichael
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, turtlemichael said:

I did that train trip many years ago (when Adam was a boy). It is amazing. I guess Mysty has told you that Adelaide, another of your stops I think, is her favourite city in the world?  See if you can find a property for her as we need her here!

I’ll see what I can do! 😁

• Like 1

Actually although some groper have been called jewfish it really is not Australian Jewfish. The commonest australian jewfish is the Mulloway on the east coast.

https://fishesofaustralia.net.au/home/species/659

However Davey might have had a West Australian Dhufish which often wrongly are called jewfish.

https://uk.inaturalist.org/taxa/513493-Glaucosoma-hebraicum

But the best eating jewfish comes from Northern Australia.

https://nt.gov.au/marine/recreational-fishing/types-of-fish/fish-species/black-jewfish

And the most commonly caught jewfish by commercial fisheries comes from South Australia. it is usually Mulloway and not the Southern Yellow jewfish which is found mainly in the Northern Territory.

https://bie.ala.org.au/species/https://biodiversity.org.au/afd/taxa/2ac9ec33-5c2a-4c31-9648-2fc69a69819e

Of course this shouldn't be confused with the yellowtail jewfish from Australia's north.

https://bie.ala.org.au/species/https://biodiversity.org.au/afd/taxa/a652ea41-c27b-493e-927b-5bffad00f51c

Note all the different scientific names. No wonder you get most Australians not knowing what jewfish actually is.

But if you see it on a restaurant menu it usually is pretty good eating no matter which one it was.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

My first trip to Perth was in 1968.  I was on an extended cruise on P & O’s Arcadia.  We stopped in Freemantle and drove up to Perth where I went to the tallest and seemingly only hotel in town on the park.  The view from the roof was lovely.  We went back to Perth a few years ago, and it is still there.

last evening, I looked outside my house in north Florida and was greeted by our neighbor.  Estimates put him around 500 pounds.  He is much larger than the one I saw in September.

IMG_7780.jpeg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, spinnaker2 said:

The bear is humongous.  The question is what has he been eating.  Lots of wildlife in your area. Well maybe 500 lbs less.

YES!!  Big, BIG bear.  Looks cute and fun . . . from a safe distance away.  Appreciate this great sharing.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

2 hours ago, Emtbsam said:

last evening, I looked outside my house in north Florida and was greeted by our neighbor.  Estimates put him around 500 pounds.  He is much larger than the one I saw in September.

2 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

The bear is humongous.  The question is what has he been eating.

Maybe he ate the one from September?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I’ll send the question to the galley. Obviously I didn’t see anything more than a fillet (fill it, not fill lay) on the plate. Dinner last night was pretty good considering conditions. Not perfection but best food I’ve had on a train. We missed the excursion to Kalgoorlie as we were waiting on freight trains to pass. These things happen. Meeting some lovely people and several I’ll be sailing with next week. Approx 60% Britts, 30% Ozzy, 2 Americans, 1Brazilian and a few I’ve yet to survey in our train section. The Americans were very popular at trivia time as there were several questions only they would know! Heading towards Cook now and Nullaboor plains. 1200 miles of track without a kink or a bend in it. Having a fabulous time.

9E3DD5D8-D46C-43F3-88E6-FF606CA992B7.jpeg

1B82869F-EE4E-4094-85BA-34FB11C4EC63.jpeg

7EC89EDF-2DC5-411B-95FD-6D0DC39758E8.jpeg

86A54FEC-8508-44B4-9835-FF8C9D006031.jpeg

6FB42663-B989-4B1D-8D16-D4284F3DD44E.jpeg

6ED324CF-C9E0-48D0-8CF6-628006DCE7E6.jpeg

Edited by DavyWavey70
Things take time when so fat from civilisation.
  • Like 9

Enjoy Cook. The only inhabitants are rail workers and flies.

Glad you are enjoying the trip, I’m constantly amazed by the meals that are served from the tiny train kitchen.

Will you have any time in Adelaide or is it just a stop over?

IMG_0778.jpeg

IMG_3803.jpeg

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Joc123 said:

Enjoy Cook. The only inhabitants are rail workers and flies.

Glad you are enjoying the trip, I’m constantly amazed by the meals that are served from the tiny train kitchen.

Will you have any time in Adelaide or is it just a stop over?

IMG_0778.jpeg

IMG_3803.jpeg

I’m all prepared for the flies, not sure about the rail workers though, nobody warned me about them! We only get the morning in Adelaide Joc so a quick scout only. 

• Like 3

Hope the weather improves for you, we are having a dreadful summer!

Unsually wet and humid with mild temperatures, not like Adelaide at all.

It should be a dry heat, 30c - 40c, but you might actually enjoy the cooler conditions.

29 minutes ago, Joc123 said:

Hope the weather improves for you, we are having a dreadful summer!

Unsually wet and humid with mild temperatures, not like Adelaide at all.

It should be a dry heat, 30c - 40c, but you might actually enjoy the cooler conditions.

I Have a strawberry blonde brother so I do have to be careful. I Found myself scurrying around Ayers Rock Resort from one bit of shade to the next. Adelaide will be tropical!

• Like 1