Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

8 minutes ago, mysty said:

Greetings Coolers!

Today's funny.....

Funny_Travel_Quote_0001-min-1.jpg.73c08373dc69d06a24ea911181fbc806.jpg

Thanks for giving me something to worry about...we're checking our bags for this trip later today! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Thanks for giving me something to worry about...we're checking our bags for this trip later today! 

Ooops!  My bad @jpalbny!  Best wishes for safe travels for you, Chris and your luggage! 😁

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jpalbny said:

You are checking bags????

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Lois R said:

You are checking bags????

We are! The Earth may fall off its axis! I hope our plane doesn't get lost as a result.

We are bringing our usual carry-on sized luggage, but checking them because we're bringing lots of sunscreen and bug spray. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

D-Day 

In 2019 my mom got 79 years old and asked me she would like to do a last trip to visit 3 things: D-day area, Prado Museum in Madrid and Santiago de Compostela.

With these targets, we took a Seabourn Cruise from Lisbon to Dover with calls in Spain and France ports plus other places. She loved every single day in that cruise.

As if she was anticipating, after that covid came and then the dementia. That was her last trip and 2nd cruise. Now she can’t remember, but I can!

Antarctic was the most impressive trip I have ever done. Visiting the D-Day area with my mom was the second. 

Edited by Lirio
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 2

We were extremely lucky to take the National World War II charter cruise on the Silver Cloud in 2014 to visit Normandy on the 70th anniversary of D-day.  We started in Lisbon, spent three days in Caen and got off the ship in Dover.  There were several WWII veterans on board the ship as well as several historians and Tom Brokaw.  The events orchestrated by the museum on the beaches and other places in Normandy were extraordinary.  We also participated in the Franco-American ceremony at Colleville-sur-Mer cemetery.  You can find a recording of the ceremony on Youtube with Presidents Obama and Hollande.  A high point in my travels.

• Like 11

Very interesting Jeff, many mentions of Brian Epstein whose housemaster at Wrekin College was later to be my headmaster. 

He was my headmaster at the time the Beatles hit the big time and often told us the story of his comments on Brian Epstein’s school report. ‘This boy will never get anywhere.’ 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, eastwoodboy said:

Very interesting Jeff, many mentions of Brian Epstein whose housemaster at Wrekin College was later to be my headmaster. 

He was my headmaster at the time the Beatles hit the big time and often told us the story of his comments on Brian Epstein’s school report. ‘This boy will never get anywhere.’ 

Lovely story.

When I was very young and playing records at my youth club on a Saturday night in the East End - we speculatively contacted and asked Brian whether he and The Beatles might support our club which was going through difficult financial times.  To our surprise they agreed.  Tony liaised and it happened on 29th December 1964.  They saved the club.

Jeff

IMG_5658.jpeg

• Like 4

image.jpeg.648a945bda5dab95ce26239df7316db2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e3fed08e3bde25a633c25356f23a7724.jpeg

image.jpeg.089a8a34213920fd818162294495aff1.jpeg

Two hillbillies walk into a restaurant. While having a bite to eat, they talk about their moonshine operation.

Suddenly, a woman at a nearby table, who is eating a sandwich, begins to cough.

After a minute or so, it becomes apparent that she is in real distress. One of the hillbillies looks at her and says, Kin ya swallar?'

The woman shakes her head no. Then he asks, 'Kin ya breathe?'

The woman ...begins to turn blue, and shakes her head no.

The hillbilly walks over to the woman, lifts up her dress, yanks down her drawers, and quickly gives her right butt cheek a lick with his tongue.

The woman is so shocked that she has a violent spasm, and the obstruction flies out of her mouth. As she begins to breathe again, the Hillbilly walks slowly back to his table. His partner says, 'Ya know, I'd heerd of that there 'Hind Lick Maneuver' but I ain't niver seed nobody do it!'

• Like 5
  • Haha 7

Don't worry Lola I was the subject of quite a few Dick Emery jokes. Served me right sitting in the front row and getting a call from the hospital.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

Someone asked about the plates in La Terrazza on Silver Muse.  I just happen to be on said ship, they are "Schonwald Germany 622".  Next question? They have a goldish band with geometric shapes around the rim.  They are nice.  

Thank you!  I think it was @profpeabody asking for that information.   

Good morning coolers.....Davey, not sure if you are interested but when I was on Eclipse last week, I posted a "Live From"......now that I have been home for a week, not sure if I will sail with Celebrity again or not.......it was definitely a different experience from sailing with SS..Not sure if you are interested in reading that thread or not. 

My next trip is a week out west.......I am actually doing a land trip to a resort in Jackson Hole, Wyoming with 6 other gals. I booked my own room so that should be good. Leaving on June 27th.

It definitely should be different that is for sure. I will probably be ready for a cruise after it LOL....

And then there is my next cruise. I am booked on the Moon for the Caribbean in December but I don't think I want to do the Caribbean again so looking at 2 other options.....seeing about a 2 week cruise to New Zealand/Australia......I have been saying I want  to go there for years and years. Waiting to see if SS will lower the single supplement. If that doesn't work, possibly a TA crossing in November for 14 nights. Still trying to figure things out.

• Like 1

Thank you Will WFT...

I looked online at their line and they either don't sell that pattern anymore or it was created specifically for SilverSea.  We really liked it.  Guess I will have to sail again to see it...oh darn! 

Seriously, thanks again for looking and for posting!  🙂🫠

• Like 1

On the way back home, from Auckland, it is always great to see Los Andes while approaching Santiago, Chile (connection to Rio de Janeiro).IMG-20240609-WA00133.thumb.jpg.9b040f5bf568248793f0b729f6e41f83.jpg

• Like 10

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Lirio said:

On the way back home, from Auckland, it is always great to see Los Andes while approaching Santiago, Chile (connection to Rio de Janeiro).IMG-20240609-WA00133.thumb.jpg.9b040f5bf568248793f0b729f6e41f83.jpg

I have often found myself wondering about your life in Brazil,  and if you were inclined I’d be really interested in reading posts about your day to day life - and the more mundane the better.  

Obviously with me being aimless and nosey and liking eating and drinking it’d be great to read and see stuff about your cookings and eatings and in particular what and where ordinary people eat including even perhaps piccies and descriptions of street food.  

I think many Coolers might be interested and see the thread as a great place to read your musings.  I hope others will join me in encouraging you.

I could appoint you The Coolers Ambassador To Brazil!

Thanks. 🙂

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1