Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Regarding the Olympics - I think the French love to be iconoclastic (I think that is the word), just part of their nature, especially Parisiens.  However, since the vast majority of the athletes are young people from all over the world who sacrifice a lot to train for these events it would seem a shame not to support them - if at all interested in their sports of course.  Maybe the weather that evening was an answer from above to some of the choices made for the opening ceremony?  I am afraid quite a few Brits found it amusing, as we are supposed to be the ones with the awful weather, and it was warm and dry here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

For my next birthday  I have been asked what I would like, and not needing any presents I am hoping to be taken to a top class restaurant for their tasting menu, with the wine flight to go with it.  I know they ask beforehand if you have any allergies, and do something different for you, so no problems there.  Nicer now for me to have experiences to remember, rather than jewellery, scarves, perfume etc. which I have more than enough of.  I bet many of you feel the same.

That’s what my son and I have done for the last few years (there’s only two of us in our immediate family now), and I thoroughly enjoy the experiences.  Sometimes a favourite restaurant to return to, sometimes experiences run by wineries.  For his birthday last week we went to a bourbon pairing dinner with Weller and Pappy Van Winkle bourbons. One happy son!

IMG_5252.thumb.jpeg.f7e374868c8708fd9806d69e27be360a.jpeg

• Like 10

19 minutes ago, Port Power said:

That’s what my son and I have done for the last few years (there’s only two of us in our immediate family now), and I thoroughly enjoy the experiences.  Sometimes a favourite restaurant to return to, sometimes experiences run by wineries.  For his birthday last week we went to a bourbon pairing dinner with Weller and Pappy Van Winkle bourbons. One happy son!

IMG_5252.thumb.jpeg.f7e374868c8708fd9806d69e27be360a.jpeg

That sounds amazing! 🥰

• Like 1

Another perfect winter Sunday here, temp:21-23c, fresh breeze, blue skies. I kept my quest for the jaguar parade (I am behind schedule, some friends have seen them all, I just half, so far). 15k steps today.

jaguar10.thumb.jpg.f96f939563fa22be2fc9917c74e48303.jpg

jaguar7.thumb.jpg.c7373f2191b8eca5c23641ed449b80a3.jpg

jaguar8.thumb.jpg.b2c5d0d18e4f238ead694f3c1f9b16f3.jpg

jaguar9.thumb.jpg.4a9972551e5d25fe74625dd9f9f6cdf4.jpg

About Olympics, I liked the opening ceremony and I am enjoying the games, although Brazil is not doing very well.

• Like 12

41 minutes ago, Lirio said:

I kept my quest for the jaguar parade (I am behind schedule, some friends have seen them all, I just half, so far). 15k steps today.

Pretty kitties! Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

We’re off to balcony@seaside in a few days ….Helga willing … and hope to have some time eating fairly lightly on the balcony.  There are stairs so I’m instructed by the boss that we eat “lightly” but drinks can be heavier.

Jeff

Not wanting to insert my foot in my mouth [but probably doing so anyway...]:  Is your wife's name Helga?  Or are we back to 'Allo, 'Allo jokes?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Not wanting to insert my foot in my mouth [but probably doing so anyway...]:  Is your wife's name Helga?  Or are we back to 'Allo, 'Allo jokes?

My Merc is highly complicated beast and of a temperamental nature and so breaks down when bored.  

Eerily it is often just as we pass Stonehenge. 

Jeff

7 minutes ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

My Merc is highly complicated beast and of a temperamental nature and so breaks down when bored.  

Eerily it is often just as we pass Stonehenge. 

Jeff

Are we talking about a vehicle, then?  [Perhaps a little tank?]

1 hour ago, spinnaker2 said:

And some tall Key lime pie…it was luscious and very refreshing.

IMG_7059Copy.thumb.jpeg.ea4f9cc42a7d2a6559c6bc000b1e2d8c.jpeg

I know this might be a daft question, but when I look at these they always seem to leave the stalks on the strawberries.  Why is this?

Jeff

1 minute ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Are we talking about a vehicle, then?  [Perhaps a little tank?]

An SL who’s sole mission was to take us backwards and forwards to Seaside. That is all we ever ask of her.  For some reason or other she begrudges even doing this.  She is also incredibly thirsty, and refuses to travel further than 21 or so miles for each gallon high octane it glugs.  

I’m not allowed to sell it.  My wife loves it but has never driven it.  She likes being driven in it instead.  So I have two bosses.

Jeff

• Haha 1

Just now, UKCruiseJeff said:

So I have two bosses.

Now I get it:  Helga and "She Who Must Be Obeyed."

Thankfully none of my cars has ever left me stranded – even the MG (except the time I ran out of gas, which wasn't its fault).  And DW has never vetoed selling a car – especially as modern cars tend to develop dementia and exhibit wonky electronic glitches or become psychopathic and try to kill you.  Oh for the simplicity of an older car! – but I have been corrupted by the creature comforts of modern ones...

14 minutes ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

I know this might be a daft question, but when I look at these they always seem to leave the stalks on the strawberries.  Why is this?

Jeff

Why did I leave them on? Because they are green as in the green of key lime and one may use the stem to pick up the berries, of course! No fork needed. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Now I get it:  Helga and "She Who Must Be Obeyed."

Thankfully none of my cars has ever left me stranded – even the MG (except the time I ran out of gas, which wasn't its fault).  And DW has never vetoed selling a car – especially as modern cars tend to develop dementia and exhibit wonky electronic glitches or become psychopathic and try to kill you.  Oh for the simplicity of an older car! – but I have been corrupted by the creature comforts of modern ones...

I bought the car when they were in short supply and so had to commit to buy it when we received a call to say one had been found whilst we were on Eurostar going to Paris for a few lunches.  When I asked for a discount they roared with laughter as though I had been joking.  It is however a thing of great beauty.  But it really looks forward to going to the garage and having new expensive bits fitted.  It hasn’t even got to 30k miles yet. 

My only regret is that it came with a shelf load of heavy instruction manuals, one of which I think tells you how to turn the lights on and off inside.  Being a bloke I naturally refused to read the instruction manuals, it’s a car after all.  Two pedals, and a steering wheel.  What could be complicated? So even after all these years I have no idea how to turn the lights on and off.  Or to be more accurate I know how to turn them on because I simply stab away aimlessly until there is light but then cannot work out how to switch it off. I have to stop the car and stab away until it is dark again. 

I wish someone would steal it.  I want to buy a shiny new Marco Polo so I can go out for lunch but not deal with waiters or disappointing food  and then have a sleep and then come home. I keep  watching them on Youtube and as soon as I start saying “I ……” I hear a sharp “No. you’ll buy one because it is shiny and smells new and use it once then you’ll  grumble about it.”.

So I’m destined to be outlived by Helga who remains “she who must be obeyed.”

Jeff

3 hours ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

I consider it a serious issue.

I think the “cardinal” rule for this - no pun intended - is that if you decide to pick on one particular religion for quite an unacceptably level of extremely poor taste and derision that you could reasonably predict will certainly cause deep offence, AND - to  make it worst - that you would never dream of doing exactly the same to another religion simply because of the fear of potential violent consequences on your streets then, perhaps you should instead take the prudent decision to think again before doing  so and always avoid all religious derision and offensiveness.

This is not a free speech issue but instead whether politicians should use public money to insult a fairly sacred icon of any religion for the misplaced entertainment value they think if offers.

And The Olympic opening ceremony of all events?  The most important worldwide event that is intended for nations to showcase their national identity, tolerance and culture

Jeff

I was very glad to find out that it was in no way a depiction of The Last Supper but rather an allusion to a Greek feast.

It is sad that we have become so quick to be offended these days.  I long for the days when we could just exhale, chill and think! 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Emtbsam said:

I was very glad to find out that it was in no way a depiction of The Last Supper but rather an allusion to a Greek feast.

It is sad that we have become so quick to be offended these days.  I long for the days when we could just exhale, chill and think! 

I agree. People are far too easily offended or say they are.  But everyone feels that way until they find something that offends themselves?  But I didn’t say I was offended.  I wasn’t.  I’m not a Christian or subscribe to being offended by proxy. I am just annoyed at the bad judgement and the offence and hurt it has caused others. I think it was simply poor judgement.

The explanation offered seemed to be a retro-fit as on the TV I was watching it was described as a depiction of the last supper.

🙂

Jeff

ps added a piccy to illustrate how this has been interpreted. Note the similarities ie 3 windows, colours, spacing of the “central character” etc ….

IMG_6598.jpeg

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

The explanation offered seemed to be a retro-fit as on the TV I was watching it was described as a depiction of the last supper.

Clearly backpedaling after the controversy hit the fan.  Unless French education is so blinkered that these genius artistes never heard of Da Vinci.  

5 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Clearly backpedaling after the controversy hit the fan.  Unless French education is so blinkered that these genius artistes never heard of Da Vinci.  

I think back-pedal makes it worst because having been called out on this misjudgement they compound their failure by treating those that have been offended as though they were fools. 

It is always better to own up quickly and admit that you now accept  that the “humour” was ill-judged and offer a prompt whole-hearted apology.  The heat would rapidly dissipate almost as quickly as it had materialised. 

Jeff

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Yes, the French are now apologizing. Now for some humor that I just read on social media about the Last Supper. This one is from a British site. 

"I have a horrible feeling the closing ceremony at Paris 2024 is going to resemble an orgy at Salvador Dali’s house."

Edited by TrulyBlonde
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Yes, the French are now apologizing. Now for some humor that I just read on social media about the Last Supper. This one is from a British site. 

"I have a horrible feeling the closing ceremony at #PARIS2024Olympics_2024_Paris20242.png is going to resemble an orgy at Salvador Dali’s house."

They actually featured several Marie Antoinette’s holding her own head in many windows of a palace where she was held captive before her execution.  It was the most bizarre thing. They treated it as though it were a hugely funny thing. I find the judgement of this incomprehensible. 

Just the stuff you want kids to see.

Jeff

IMG_6600.jpeg

IMG_6599.jpeg

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

14 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Just call me old fashioned. I would never boycott this. I hope the French have learned their lesson. Bring back normal.

Image 2.jpeg

They spent three times as much on this as we had spent although clearly some inflation has to be factored.  I don’t see where it ws spent.  I don’t see any thought given to the uncertainty of weather.  I simply see a degree of self indulgence and too much shruggery. 

I’ve thought a lot about his over the last day or two and my theory is simply this.  They were absolutely obsessed with the privilege of winning The Olympics but once won it was subject to the “gallic shrug” that many of us have grown to understand.  

It is painful to reflect these things because one wants to preserve the moment for the participants but this is a situation that has been solely caused by the organisers.  I hope that all participants enjoy their moments.

Jeff

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

For those watching the Olympics, Biles from US was the 1st today and Rebeca from Brazil was the 2nd. We are sooooo happy!

These girls!!!!

• Like 10