Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

I'm much more likely to seek out the Heart Attack Grill than to go vegan...

It's like Mark Twain said when they told him that smoking would take 10 years off his life:  "10 years isn't worth living without [insert favorite vice here]."

• Like 1

On 3/1/2021 at 9:33 AM, zqtchas said:

How can that be a crab cake with no crab?

There's an article in today's Wall Street Journal about the UK Gin Guild trying to ban alcohol-free 'gin' from using that term.  I agree.

And don't get me started on vanilla.  'Plain vanilla' is a bad rap based on all the processed food that is labelled vanilla without having any vanilla taste.  Real vanilla is anything but plain...

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

In defense of engineers, we can take a joke 🙂

That's what Myster said too.  😁  He does have a good sense of humour obviously!  Otherwise I would have been kicked to the curb long ago! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, QueSeraSera said:

In defense of engineers, we can take a joke 🙂

The problem, IME, comes from that part of the design process euphemistically called 'value engineering.'  That's when the budget people force the engineers to dumb down the design to hit the budget numbers, even though it means the final result won't be as good or last as long.  The George Washington Bridge (1931) is still standing proud and strong in its 90th year.  The Tappan Zee Bridge (1955) was already falling apart before its 60th birthday.  But the best example is the Brooklyn Bridge (1883), which John Augustus Roebling deliberately over-engineered because he knew that Andrew Carnegie's steel wouldn't meet the contract specs; despite the poor steel the bridge is still going strong at 138 years!  Because it was designed by an engineer without a 'value' step in the process.

• Like 4

Agreed HJ.

It is complex. I often felt during my career that if the voice of the consumer (whoever or whatever that might be) could be heard in design and build meetings, the results would be different, a bit more expensive to said consumer, but higher quality & more satisfying to the engineers and customers involved.

No English classes required for degree...should that have been whomever or maybe whosoever?

• Like 1