Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

17 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Pi(e) Day completed.

20210314_153617.thumb.jpg.42e231a09dcb21565060b6351d985e13.jpg

20210314_155720.thumb.jpg.c11d4eb0a9bddb56aa07266b921c41bc.jpg

WOWZA😃looks fantastic!!!!!!!!!

I had a piece of  baked salmon  and a salad for dinner..............

Tonight Stanley goes to Tuscany!!!!!!

• Thanks 1

Will watch Stanley tomorrow or Tuesday. Sunday nights are always too short, and that's especially true tonight after the time change. 

Tomorrow is an exciting day for us. Work starts on the basement remodel! We are putting in a big dance floor and a wine bar next to it. Once the work is done, we might just move down there...

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Will watch Stanley tomorrow or Tuesday. Sunday nights are always too short, and that's especially true tonight after the time change. 

Tomorrow is an exciting day for us. Work starts on the basement remodel! We are putting in a big dance floor and a wine bar next to it. Once the work is done, we might just move down there...

A dance floor!  How awesome is that?  🥰

4 hours ago, Lois R said:

Tonight Stanley goes to Tuscany!!!!!!

I am behind and just watched Bologna tonight.  While I would not enjoy the humid climate, oh my, that food would be heaven.

Lastly, how ‘bout those Illini taking down Terry’s Buckeye’s today for the Big Ten championship?  It’s been a long 16-years waiting.  And, hard to believe this is our return to the NCAA Tourney since 2013.  May the run be long and avoids the Cinderellas.

8 hours ago, clo said:

Could you 'talk' to me please about your stock making? TIA.

A proper chicken stocks needs a proper chicken!  You can do this several ways - but always use the same vegetables which are an onion, leek, celery and carrot, all chopped into chunky pieces.  Also some thyme sprigs, parsley stalks, garlic cloves, bay leaves, half a dozen cloves, peppercorns, no salt or alcohol.  You can either poach a completely raw chicken in the water with the vegetables and then carve the chicken for a glorious if complex poulet au riz.   This will take an hour or more. Or do what I usually do and use either the raw chicken carcass or the carcass of a previously roasted chicken, broken into bits.  Simmer in the water with the vegetables for about 40 minutes, leave to cool and strain, preferably through muslin.  It should be a lovely golden colour and might jellify overnight in the fridge.  It freezes perfectly.  This gives a stock with body and it's great for boulangere potatoes, risottos, coq au vin, hearty soups etc.

Last night I did a big casserole of lamb neck fillets, carrots and flageolet beans, cooked in lamb stock in a slow oven for about three hours, perfect for a nasty chilly March day with rain and our never-ending wind.  It was originally a Delia Smith recipe, tweaked as all Delias have to be.

DSC_0008.jpg

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

DW and I want to know what is the delicious-looking item in your Pi-day picture #1?

A pizza made with arugula, fresh chopped tomatoes, and cheese. Once out of the oven, I put some prosciutto on top and finish with a grate of Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Fletcher said:

This gives a stock with body and it's great for boulangere potatoes, risottos, coq au vin, hearty soups etc.

Thank you SO much! I've been known to start with a whole chicken in the slow cooker and remove the usual pieces when they're done, put the bones back in an continue. You're clearly quite the cook. Love that photo. I fixed lamb neck a few months ago. We have a local rancher so we can get those more 'esoteric' cuts 🙂