Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

23 minutes ago, rojaan19 said:

HOLEY Carp  !!   I go away for a few weeks and miss out on all the fun  !!  😮😮

I Wouldn’t categorise it as fun really! I Think you both had a better time than us xxx

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DavyWavey70 said:
On 4/27/2024 at 5:39 PM, DavyWavey70 said:

I’m just back from an incredible 4 week tour of Aus and NZ with a twelve night cruise on the Celebrity Edge that I’m not allowed to mention on here, oops. You’ll have the most amazing time. If you get the chance then look into the Indian Pacific rail journey. What an experience! 

I followed your great review on the Edge.  It was a very good one.  I felt bad when someone criticized it but found it over on this board so I could continue. You shared a lot of very positive information about the ship and  your experiences in AUS and NZ.  We will be on that same ship in Oct.  Thank you for taking the time to do it. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

That's the thing about doing a "live from" or giving one's personal experiences and thoughts: there'll always be someone prepared to let you know you're wrong. 

Oh, so true.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

That's the thing about doing a "live from" or giving one's personal experiences and thoughts: there'll always be someone prepared to let you know you're wrong. 

“Never explain — your friends do not need it, and your enemies will not believe you anyway.” – Elbert Hubbard.

Or as improved on by our wonderful late Queen always said “Never complain, never explain”

Perhaps I learned a bit too late ….. 🙂

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, mauimary said:

I followed your great review on the Edge.  It was a very good one.  I felt bad when someone criticized it but found it over on this board so I could continue. You shared a lot of very positive information about the ship and  your experiences in AUS and NZ.  We will be on that same ship in Oct.  Thank you for taking the time to do it. 

Thank you mauimary, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Life's too short for arguing with the warriors and I certainly didn't want to waste my precious holiday time on them. And for the record, I Don't like moustaches on men or women! I'm sure you'll have a great time on the Edge.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Coolers,

Some lovely young gouda arrived today from  my favourite award winning British cheese master.  He has promised me that when he has a moment he is going to make me some young cumin gouda.  Sadly the Dutch seem to like mature gouda and getting young Komijnekass seems impossible. It is odd that so much of the very best gouda now seems to be made in Britain now.   This is good because buying from Holland use to be so unpredictable quality-wise.  

So inevitably the cheese delivery of course meant some more onion, nigella and Guerande salt ficelle which was an extremely scrummy marriage. 

For those boring people like me who are of a doughy disposition, I have not been able to get out of my mind making some sweet malt lite baguettes which I’ve just roughly scraped together and put in the fridge to doze and plan to try it in the next day or three.  I want it to have an open crumb and not be stodgy hence some time in the fridge.  I think it would be nice with rasberry jam.  And probably even cheese.  

Don’t I lead the most exciting of lives? 🙂

IMG_5231.jpeg

• Like 4

Finally in Auckland in my favorite hotel......During the flight an amazing experience I would like to share.

The flight is Rio de Janeiro (4 hours) to Santiago (2 hours on ground) to Auckland (12 hours). After Auckland (with 2 hours on ground) more 4 hours up to Sydney-Australia. My mission finished in Auckland.

Just behind us in the 1st leg we noticed 2 senior ladies which seems mother and daughter.

We noticed that the flight attendants were very keen to the ladies. Right before we landed in Santiago, one flight attendant mention, for the surprise of all business class passengers (just 3 rows with 4 seats in each row), that the mother is 102 years old and a frequently flyer!

We arrived in Santiago and went straight to the Latam Lounge (very, very good) and later arrived in the gate for embarkation to find the 2 ladies preparing to board. I could not believe that the 102 years old lady would face more 12 hours in a plane!

Well, we chatted a bit and not only the 12 hours, but all the way to Sydney where she lives. And the daughter told me that a month ago they were in Egypt. The mother loves to travel!

Immediately I advised my daughter that is the new target for us!

• Like 16

59 minutes ago, Lirio said:

Finally in Auckland in my favorite hotel......During the flight an amazing experience I would like to share.

The flight is Rio de Janeiro (4 hours) to Santiago (2 hours on ground) to Auckland (12 hours). After Auckland (with 2 hours on ground) more 4 hours up to Sydney-Australia. My mission finished in Auckland.

Just behind us in the 1st leg we noticed 2 senior ladies which seems mother and daughter.

We noticed that the flight attendants were very keen to the ladies. Right before we landed in Santiago, one flight attendant mention, for the surprise of all business class passengers (just 3 rows with 4 seats in each row), that the mother is 102 years old and a frequently flyer!

We arrived in Santiago and went straight to the Latam Lounge (very, very good) and later arrived in the gate for embarkation to find the 2 ladies preparing to board. I could not believe that the 102 years old lady would face more 12 hours in a plane!

Well, we chatted a bit and not only the 12 hours, but all the way to Sydney where she lives. And the daughter told me that a month ago they were in Egypt. The mother loves to travel!

From the balcony....Auckland.thumb.jpeg.b010e4a85c3ebfeb044653bc06e72349.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LoisRJax said:

Lirio, great story😀 sounds like a fascinating Mom and daughter!

Jazz, thanks for the help and for everyone else......it is me, I set up a new account. Something happened and I could not log in and could not figure out why..........wrong email? wrong password?

Could not figure it out so I thought the easiest the thing to do would be to start fresh.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.  🤣🤣🤣 

(Now you have to work your way back up to an established contributor again.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

10 hours ago, DavyWavey70 said:

Thank you mauimary, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Life's too short for arguing with the warriors and I certainly didn't want to waste my precious holiday time on them. And for the record, I Don't like moustaches on men or women! I'm sure you'll have a great time on the Edge.

I finally looked up your Celebrity Edge live report.  It was enjoyable: lovely photos and pertinent comments. I also like your writing style. Obviously all the nasty stuff had been deleted.

The ship looks fabulous!  I am going to book a solo cabin on that next season to see it for myself.  Or maybe a last minute special?  At least I can avoid the crowds and have breakfast in Tuscan. I haven't been on Celebrity for at least 8 years.

1 hour ago, Port Power said:

I haven't been on Celebrity for at least 8 years.

It may come as a shock.  I hope you like it.  My last Celebrity cruise was my last Celebrity cruise.  [too "Edge-y"]

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Emtbsam said:

Lirio - what hotel is that?

Pullman Auckland. As I stay long periods (this time 45 days) I prefer it because it has apartments fully equiped with kichten and laundry, and it is centre located. And more important, has a very good room rate for long stays!

Edited by Lirio
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, Lirio said:

Lirio,

That's a really lovely story and a real reminder to wimps like me that feel totally defeated by long-haul travel and even shorter travel.  It sounds to me like this lady has had and is enjoying the life of three more sedate and normal people. 

I'll have to look at some travel again .....

Thanks for posting the story.

Jeff

• Like 1

Are you still doing the annual trips to Singapore, Jeff?  I used to enjoy seeing how it has changed since I was last there some 30 years ago.  And the food stories of course.

Lola

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Port Power said:

I finally looked up your Celebrity Edge live report.  It was enjoyable: lovely photos and pertinent comments. I also like your writing style. Obviously all the nasty stuff had been deleted.

The ship looks fabulous!  I am going to book a solo cabin on that next season to see it for myself.  Or maybe a last minute special?  At least I can avoid the crowds and have breakfast in Tuscan. I haven't been on Celebrity for at least 8 years.

Thanks PP. I'm not sure about the last minute thing unless you're very flexible on dates as the solo verandahs do seem to sell out way ahead. It was a lovely ship and far better than I was expecting for my first time on a mainstream line. I Could take or leave the Infinite Verandah thing tbh but as a solo cabin it was great. I Always avoid buffets wherever possible and there were certainly lots of options without it for a nice quiet spot. Also the people onboard were certainly much more friendly than the people posting on the Celebrity boards. I Understand Host JBs comment about it being " [too "Edge-y"]" though. To sum up the "feel" of the ship, it was a bit trendy, slightly luxurious, fairly classy and very relaxed. The demographic was generally younger than SS but there was a great mix of ages and interesting people always to be found to chat too. When I did venture into the buffet  I discovered where the Olympic plate lifting champions that negotiate using their elbows had spent their week. They were rarely spotted anywhere else onboard. I Hope you enjoy it as much as I did. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Are you still doing the annual trips to Singapore, Jeff?  I used to enjoy seeing how it has changed since I was last there some 30 years ago.  And the food stories of course.

Lola

Good afternoon L.

The very short answer is that as you know we use to go two or three times a year for a few weeks at a time and it was a really important core part of our lives.    However for several reasons post-covid we have reluctantly decided that these trips probably have ended for us and any more are unlikely.  There are many reasons that all converge to a “no”.

We’ve been extremely fortunate to have experienced what we did, as is true of so much of our lovely travels and I suspect that for example your memories of an earlier Singapore is something we’d have loved to experience.  

Many of us I fear have might have to reluctantly come to terms with the idea that so much of the joys of travel and the destinations aren’t where we left them and it is sometimes better to shrug and move on and simply enjoy the memories.

We are probably very much a minority in these ideas.

Jeff  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Wow, two cool dudes.  Yes, it has been a lovely day here in bucolic Lincs.

We had an hour out on the bike.😊

Then power-washed the patios. 😟

• Like 1
  • Haha 1