Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

1 hour ago, Port Power said:

Our group had dinner on the 5th floor of the Reykjavík Opera House tonight, the perfect position to see Silver Wind arrive in port.  It was early due to bad weather at some stage.  I board her tomorrow.

IMG_4974.thumb.jpeg.e0f3cca6ff282c07c87d13be2bcaf77d.jpeg

IMG_4976.thumb.jpeg.80b8886c7fb6642089229a51dcc5a1a0.jpeg

We will see you in Longyearbyen!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Emtbsam said:

We will be there soon on our way to Svalbard.  It will be quite the change from the 90’s (32) here in Maryland.

27c in Rio and it is almost winter.......

• Like 1

Having polished off the chianti with the assistance of dear wife last night, we're into a nice Argentine Malbec tonight & playing music from you tube, found what we think is yet another great recording by a modern musician group from within Royal Albert Hall.  So, as she goes off to her couch to watch yet another BBC mystery or love story (I can't tell the difference), I realize I know some UK folks & also some Canadians (some are kind of British like & can be helpful in understanding our brethren across the Atlantic). So I ask - is it possible to buy tickets to such a show? Are such tix perhaps reserved for citizens to ensure they can sing along as the people do in this video (and as I've observed at football matches...)  Has anyone ever attended such a concert?

only watch if you are open to Snow Patrol;

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

Having polished off the chianti with the assistance of dear wife last night, we're into a nice Argentine Malbec tonight & playing music from you tube, found what we think is yet another great recording by a modern musician group from within Royal Albert Hall.  So, as she goes off to her couch to watch yet another BBC mystery or love story (I can't tell the difference), I realize I know some UK folks & also some Canadians (some are kind of British like & can be helpful in understanding our brethren across the Atlantic). So I ask - is it possible to buy tickets to such a show? Are such tix perhaps reserved for citizens to ensure they can sing along as the people do in this video (and as I've observed at football matches...)  Has anyone ever attended such a concert?

only watch if you are open to Snow Patrol;

I know exactly what you mean.  Some moments of music can be extraordinary.  That performance was exquisite.  They have an arena tour but I think that they would be great somewhere smaller and “intimate”. 

https://snowpatrol.com/

One performance we think unique.   I never really got into opera or Pav but this performance is extraordinary and he seems to go into a zone that isn’t worldly. He really is somewhere else as the performance progresses.   At the end of this performance he looked like he realised it might be the best one of his life.  We cannot listen to it without being moved.

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks so much.

You may find that if you listen to it a 100 times it will be even worst on 101. We never tire. 

Perhaps counter-intuitively I have always subscribed to the idea that real men can be moved by stuff ( …. if you know what I mean …) and those men that can’t  are not real blokes. 

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

real men can be moved by stuff ( …. if you know what I mean …

Yes, I do know what you mean.

I have no shame over the tears that I shed over such things.

Still think I can be tough as needs be

But I've no intention to close my heart

• Like 2

Being moved changes lives.  You sometimes do something that you might not have done otherwise and sometimes it is because of empathy for an extraordinary experience or sometimes just empathy for people less fortunate. 

I think we were given that gene for a purpose and you should always be aware and listen to that voice within that seems sometime to come from someone else. 

Gosh … I’ve gone all wobbly.  Please forgive me. 

Jeff

• Like 1

Just to lower the tone somewhat, here is one of my favourite performers ever who sold out the Albert Hall for 15 consecutive nights. Unfortunately I can’t find a video of her performing this masterpiece there, I wish I could, but here is another version of the Ballad of Barry and Freda.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, mysty said:

Greetings Coolers!

Today's funny.....

448298799_2108810876178367_1057335027905740387_n.jpg.fa5dc3da91cfc35719da718276fcf213.jpg

I always tell our IT support that this is about my level, so they know what to expect rightaway😊

Tragic really since I work with state of the art multiple screens daily, but I have been spoiled by my late very IT savvy husband who installed all that stuff for me. 3 years on, everything still works perfectly here at home, system actually quicker than in the office.

• Like 2

I don't know if it is being older, or the bumps and vicissitudes I have had in the past 8 years or so, but I am now much more empathetic to others than I was when sailing through life with few problems.  I suppose some people are born empathetic, but for many of us takes some sadnesses  of our own to relate to those who are worse off, in all senses of the word.

However, sadly I find I can't find Pav's performance moves me, so I am not entirely on the same wavelength as many of you - though there are lots of things which do, and I agree that it is important to feel what is almost a religious experience now and again.

And it was good to see lovely Victoria Wood again, who was always in tune with the awkward ones amongst us.  Thanks, Davey.

• Like 5

Just thougth of two pieces of music which bring on the tears for me - I particularly like the guitar - a version of Cavatina, by Cleo Laine and John Williams, and Cause we've ended as Lovers by Jeff Beck.

Would love to hear of others' faves.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lincslady said:

Just thougth of two pieces of music which bring on the tears for me - I particularly like the guitar - a version of Cavatina, by Cleo Laine and John Williams, and Cause we've ended as Lovers by Jeff Beck.

Would love to hear of others' faves.

One that always gets to me is Leonard Cohen’s Hallelujah, particularly the version sung by k d lang at the opening ceremonies of the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver.  

• Like 7

Well I went to see the Dawn which is already in Oslo before I board tomorrow. I checked out the bus route and I now know where I need to get off to board. Looking forward to it!

It’s a lovely day in Oslo today. The sun is out and the temperature feels a bit warmer than it is. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, gnome12 said:

Well I went to see the Dawn which is already in Oslo before I board tomorrow. I checked out the bus route and I now know where I need to get off to board. Looking forward to it!

It’s a lovely day in Oslo today. The sun is out and the temperature feels a bit warmer than it is. 

The Dawn is one of my favorite ships. I hope you have a wonderful cruise😃

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

Purely from originality and creativity viewpoint “Tilted by Christine and The Queens” seems to me to be extraordinary.

Jeff

At last. Somebody else thinks the same... 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

At last. Somebody else thinks the same... 

So good to meet a kindred spirit.

When I first saw this I was totally captivated.  It seemed like a unique combination of totally new sort of modern ballet ie Nederlands Dance Theatre with the song but married together as a single entity.  Her use of the diagonal and the “falling off”.  

Christine was up for several awards following this but didn’t get any which perplexed me.  I think her straightforwardness  retarded her career. 

Thanks.

Jeff