Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Exactly!  I used to be a foodie cook. Now cooking revolves around the most amount of flavor for the least amount of effort. The Pannini maker was the last kitchen toy I bought.  I've successfully avoided the sous vide, air fryer and instan pot.  But I am itching for the insta pot. Old habits. 😃

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Exactly!  I used to be a foodie cook. Now cooking revolves around the most amount of flavor for the least amount of effort. The Pannini maker was the last kitchen toy I bought.  I've successfully avoided the sous vide, air fryer and instan pot.  But I am itching for the insta pot. Old habits. 😃

Over the last few days I have been diverting my attention from shiny things to extremely self-indulgent olive oil.  The sort of oil that no restaurant would ever buy. 

I have just ordered some and I can barely contain my excitement.  I am counting the hours.  

This is what my life has come to.  

Jeff

• Like 2

2 hours ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

Was this before or after she filled the tin bath in front of the fire? 😁

Jeff

IMG_5884.webp

Oooh. Until the mid-60s we had the family zinc bathtub which was filled on Friday evening and the oldest went first. By the time it was my turn the water was, at best, cold. And suspiciously grey. 

My grandfather only had indoor plumbing installed in the late 60s. However he refused to have an indoor toilet as he considered having such a thing in the house disgusting. Nothing like sitting in the outhouse on a February night while listening to the riots on the Falls Road. 

• Like 2

Just now, Tothesunset said:

Oooh. Until the mid-60s we had the family zinc bathtub which was filled on Friday evening and the oldest went first. By the time it was my turn the water was, at best, cold. And suspiciously grey. 

My grandfather only had indoor plumbing installed in the late 60s. However he refused to have an indoor toilet as he considered having such a thing in the house disgusting. Nothing like sitting in the outhouse on a February night while listening to the riots on the Falls Road. 

So the family watched television whilst you had a bath?

Jeff

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

So the family watched television whilst you had a bath?

Jeff

No TV. Had a wireless, though, and my Grandfather would have one of us read the Belfast Telegraph to him. It didn't strike me until I was well into my teens that I'd never know him write anything nor read a book/newspaper. 

That's an Irish education for you! 

• Like 1

My grandfather did have an indoor loo, but the one in the garden provided nourishment for Uncle Jack's rhubarb, and we used Old Moore's Almanac for paper.  Growing rhubarb was Uncle Jack's main occupation, as he had been gassed during the first world war and slightly lost his marbles, unsurprisingly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tothesunset said:

No TV. Had a wireless, though, and my Grandfather would have one of us read the Belfast Telegraph to him. It didn't strike me until I was well into my teens that I'd never know him write anything nor read a book/newspaper. 

That's an Irish education for you! 

Brings a whole new meaning to “Listen With Mother”.

Jeff

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, lincslady said:

My grandfather did have an indoor loo, but the one in the garden provided nourishment for Uncle Jack's rhubarb, and we used Old Moore's Almanac for paper.  Growing rhubarb was Uncle Jack's main occupation, as he had been gassed during the first world war and slightly lost his marbles, unsurprisingly.

Poobarb.

Jeff

• Haha 2

Well, got back from the Alaska cruise and the peas were in fine form.  Have been wanting to make an Italian dish (from Marcella Hazen cookbook) Risi e Bisi.  (Rice & peas) Similar to risotto, but a little soupy, all the better to soak up the freshly grated parmesan, of course.  A nice early summer dish, with a bottle of Oregon pinot grigio.  

IMG_6644.jpeg

IMG_6645.jpeg

Edited by Will Work for Tiramisu
typo
  • Like 6

11 minutes ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

Well, got back from the Alaska cruise and the peas were in fine form.  Have been wanting to make an Italian dish (from Marcella Hazen cookbook) Risi e Bisi.  (Rice & peas) Similar to risotto, but a little soupy, all the better to soak up the freshly grated parmesan, of course.  A nice early summer dish, with a bottle of Oregon pinot grigio.  

IMG_6644.jpeg

IMG_6645.jpeg

Lovely.

This will set Spin’s heart a-flutter I promise.

Jeff

• Like 1

Forgive me for posting about a cruise, but after last year’s fiasco on the Nova, I seriously reconsidered our future cruises on Silversea.  Well, I can say that I am thrilled with our current cruise in Svalbard on the Wind.  It feels very much like the “old” Silversea.  The ship is lovely and the food is spectacular.  Even the free pour wines are pretty good.  Now if I could just throw a few passengers overboard it would be perfect!

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Emtbsam said:

Forgive me for posting about a cruise, but after last year’s fiasco on the Nova, I seriously reconsidered our future cruises on Silversea.  Well, I can say that I am thrilled with our current cruise in Svalbard on the Wind.  It feels very much like the “old” Silversea.  The ship is lovely and the food is spectacular.  Even the free pour wines are pretty good.  Now if I could just throw a few passengers overboard it would be perfect!

Mind their dogs don't get you!

• Like 1

It is kind of funny to remember how things were compared to how they are now.  So much has changed, and generally improved.  Let's hope to continue on the generally better trend.  If it hadn't been so stinky and unpleasant, I would've forgotten the outhouse from my early childhood.

4 hours ago, Emtbsam said:

Well, I can say that I am thrilled with our current cruise in Svalbard on the Wind.

Love to read this.  Thank you!

I am having trouble dealing with the complaining about what I see as minor issues on other topics.  I do recognize the right to complain, but I often feel it is failing to see the forest for the trees.

OK debate about to start.  I thought us old guys (including these 2 & me) went to bed around 9.  Wife wide awake, guess I'll leave here and take a seat in the living room for a bit.

If necessary, would the UK take us back, with a few seats in Parliament perhaps?

• Like 3

6 hours ago, lincslady said:

My Nan was very much of the same opinion but her preferred publication was the Birkenhead News. It was quite a soft sheet once cut up and put on the nail.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

It is kind of funny to remember how things were compared to how they are now.  So much has changed, and generally improved.  Let's hope to continue on the generally better trend.  If it hadn't been so stinky and unpleasant, I would've forgotten the outhouse from my early childhood.

Love to read this.  Thank you!

I am having trouble dealing with the complaining about what I see as minor issues on other topics.  I do recognize the right to complain, but I often feel it is failing to see the forest for the trees.

OK debate about to start.  I thought us old guys (including these 2 & me) went to bed around 9.  Wife wide awake, guess I'll leave here and take a seat in the living room for a bit.

If necessary, would the UK take us back, with a few seats in Parliament perhaps?

Just imagine being so privileged as to encounter one of the most beautiful places on earth and being so ungrateful for being there. Maybe the Butler can help? I’m afraid QSS that despite careful consideration, we are not currently in any position to accept your application for re-entry into the commonwealth but we would happily consider your re-application in the future. 

Edited by DavyWavey70
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

🇺🇸

1 minute to go …..

Jeff

Sadly Panama won.  And our next game is even less promising.  Don't they understand that US viewers will only watch if there's a good chance of USA winning?  And that TV audience is where the money is!  So – another 20 years until US soccer has a bright future...

I think The US reuniting with the UK would be a wonderful thing and as long as you kept Harry and Megs, consider it done.

A potential downside is that Macron may demand Louisiana back for the original price paid ($15m for the 828k square miles) and the US would then be bijoux and intimate at around half its current size. 

Mind you …. listening to the debate ,,,, perhaps we’ll put it on hold for an election or two.

🙂

Jeff

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Sadly Panama won.  And our next game is even less promising.  Don't they understand that US viewers will only watch if there's a good chance of USA winning?  And that TV audience is where the money is!  So – another 20 years until US soccer has a bright future...

Which one was playing for Panama - Biden or Trump.  Neither looks nimble. 

😁

Jeff