Prepay for specialty dining for kids

Regguy

I feel like I've seen this mentioned before, but my search skills are letting me down.

We're trying to plan some specialty dining reservations in advance. The online cruise planner does not seem to make any adjustment for 12 and under and charges the full adult price. We probably will only use the child's menu/price when we eat. If you have prepaid are you ineligible for the reduced child price? In other words, can you only get the reduced the price if you book on board? Or can you keep the reservation but get an adjustment later?

I feel like I've seen this mentioned before, but my search skills are letting me down.

We're trying to plan some specialty dining reservations in advance. The online cruise planner does not seem to make any adjustment for 12 and under and charges the full adult price. We probably will only use the child's menu/price when we eat. If you have prepaid are you ineligible for the reduced child price? In other words, can you only get the reduced the price if you book on board? Or can you keep the reservation but get an adjustment later?

They will credit your onboard account for the difference between what you paid and the children's price.

we've never had specialty dining, but I am wondering - if the adults eat, and the child does not, would the child be charged at all?

If the child is under 5, there is no charge. They can even order from the MDR children’s menu. No need to make them starve - lol.

Thanks for asking...and for the answers! We got the bogo specialty, and since first night there’s no camp, our 4 year old will have to come to our first night. Didn’t want to pay adult prices for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for asking...and for the answers! We got the bogo specialty, and since first night there’s no camp, our 4 year old will have to come to our first night. Didn’t want to pay adult prices for him.

Yes, I believe you only make the purchase online for the adults, then show up with the child.

So if we have 3 adults and 1 child should we book our dining for 3 and it's no problem to show up with 4? Thinking of doing BOGO special

That's my question too, but I think I'm not going to chance it. I'm just going to book for 4 and take the OBC refund. I'll just view it as essentially prepaying gratuities in part -- the OBC is as good as cash for me.

If the child is under 5, there is no charge. They can even order from the MDR children’s menu. No need to make them starve - lol.

oh, it's not about starving - this kid does not starve, but my child has rather peculiar tastes when it comes to MDR dinners.

On his first cruise at 3 years he ate nothing but Cesar salad and ice cream. On his subsequent 2 cruises he ate only bread with butter and ice cream.

On his last cruise I made him eat a fruit salad for dinner. And ice cream was mandatory, of course. Once he requested a bowl of steamed green beans and ate all of them with gusto.

He doesn't like the children's menu anyway. Nor would he touch any of the adult menu choices at a specialty restaurant.

But at home he is quite an omnivorous and prolific eater.

I was just curious what happens if the child doesn't eat (but is over 5), since we wouldn't spend money at a specialty restaurant anyway with all the free food so abundant.

Yes, I believe you only make the purchase online for the adults, then show up with the child.

This is what we have done with FNDR or BOGO. No problem making 2 into 3 and then they get charged the kids price ($10 I believe).

If it's booking for 3 and showing up with 4 it's not an issue as with 3 they assign you to a table for 4. If you are 2 and show up with 3 it may cause issues as they have assigned you a table for 2 now have to come up with a table for 4.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Forums mobile app

I just had this situation arise. We wanted to purchase the 5 night specialty dining package. There are 10 of us, 4 are under 8. RC rep told me I needed to buy 10 adult priced packages in order to guarantee we could all get seats. I was told if I only bought 6 adult packages they could not guarantee the children could be added to dining reservations due to seating limitations. They said we would get a credit ( back on our credit card, not an Onboard credit) for the children once onboard. Children should have been $50 each for 5 nights but I had to pay adult pricing of $230 each to guarantee seats. So RC keeps alot of my money until we are onboard. It was the seat guarantee thing that got me.

Seems like a flawed system.

We had the same dilemma last year. We only bought the ultimate for the two adults. The first night on the ship we made reservations for the 4 of us. They knew the other two would be kids. We never had a problem getting a table for four and the times we wanted. Several nights the kids decided to stay in the kids club and we did not get charged for them.

There are always exceptions however the standard is that regardless of age if they eat off the adult menu they will be charged as an adult.

Once again I'm going to get crucified for posting this but my 11 year old son ordered from the adult menu at specialty restaurants and was still charged the kids price.

if you pre pay, everyone pays the adult price. on board, if the kids eat off the MDR kids menu its free( I wanna say that only up to like age 6) and they play the reduced fee for eating off the specialty kids menu. you are credited for the difference at the time you dine.

we've never had specialty dining, but I am wondering - if the adults eat, and the child does not, would the child be charged at all?

yes. ( unless they are under 6) its no different than paying for a character buffet meal at Disney they are taking up a seat and there is a near certainty that the waitstaff will bring SOMETHING out for Junior to nibble on.

There are always exceptions however the standard is that regardless of age if they eat off the adult menu they will be charged as an adult.

Wonder what they do if a 13 year old eats of kids menu? My older one is the picky one who likes "kid food", whereas my 9 year old would love steak, etc

Once again I'm going to get crucified for posting this but my 11 year old son ordered from the adult menu at specialty restaurants and was still charged the kids price.

Every ship is different, even day to day on the same ship.