Updated Wine & Cocktail Lists

Woobstr112G

I am looking forward to the updated wine list. We'll still bring our own wine on board, but we always purchase multiple bottles on board to accompany our meals. If I bring a red wine to dinner, Mrs. XBGuy will usually order a white off the list. If we bring a white, I'll, often, order a red, There are, actually, some very good wines on the various Princess lists (especially, in SHARE), but change is always good.

Interesting article about Princess refreshing their coctail & wine menus. I just wish they woud have redone the beer menu as well.....:):):)

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/beverages/index.html

Bob

Actually Bob/Woobstr - they are adding new beers also. Supposedly 17 or so new ones..

https://www.princess.com/news/news_releases/2018/08/Princess-Cruises-Unveils-New-Beverage-Menus-Featuring-Globally-Inspired-Cocktails.html

Should be interesting to try out, once they're actually rolled out to the ships. ..

Actually Bob/Woobstr - they are adding new beers also. Supposedly 17 or so new ones..

https://www.princess.com/news/news_releases/2018/08/Princess-Cruises-Unveils-New-Beverage-Menus-Featuring-Globally-Inspired-Cocktails.html

Should be interesting to try out, once they're actually rolled out to the ships. ..

Wow, I didn’t see that. Very cool. Hope it’s in place on the Star when we sail to Hawaii in November.....:):):)

Bob

We have never cruised Princess but this info excited us.

One of only four people in the world to hold both the prestigious ranks of Master Sommelier and Master of Wine, Doug Frost has brought his decades of experience to crafting a wine menu that celebrates the world's best. Each varietal and region has one of its finest wines selected to represent it, taking your palate on a journey of its own.

Dh had a full day class specifically on Spanish wines with Doug Frost many years ago. It was fantastic and helped him immensely in his job. He still raves about Doug's knowledge of wine and the wine industry. This kind of good, forward thinking decision is seriously making us think about a Princess cruise.

I am looking forward to the updated wine list. We'll still bring our own wine on board, but we always purchase multiple bottles on board to accompany our meals. If I bring a red wine to dinner, Mrs. XBGuy will usually order a white off the list. If we bring a white, I'll, often, order a red, There are, actually, some very good wines on the various Princess lists (especially, in SHARE), but change is always good.

I am sure it won’t be included in the beverage package but it was promising to see a Rombauer Chardonnay in the ad. We were so disappointed last time around when the only Chardonnay they had in stock was either Simi or Clos du Bois. Now, they are both decent wines for $10 - $13 a bottle retail but not super special and just no variety. We are going in a few weeks so will see what they have in Vines. We are taking our own bottles but like you, might try one or two of what they have. I am hesitant to count on the wine packages after not getting any variety last time onboard.

We did enjoy the Simi Cabernet they had in Crooners last year in the Coral as it seemed the best that cruise as a wine by the glass. I don’t remember which Simi it was because when I found that brand at home it wasn’t as full bodied. So it must have been at least one better than the Simi they had at Target! They only sold it at Crooners. No Vines on the Coral (sadness) as I like that wine bar! Looking forward to new wines to try on the Ruby soon in November.

I am sure it won’t be included in the beverage package but it was promising to see a Rombauer Chardonnay in the ad. We were so disappointed last time around when the only Chardonnay they had in stock was either Simi or Clos du Bois. Now, they are both decent wines for $10 - $13 a bottle retail but not super special and just no variety. We are going in a few weeks so will see what they have in Vines. We are taking our own bottles but like you, might try one or two of what they have. I am hesitant to count on the wine packages after not getting any variety last time onboard.

The Rombauer will please Mrs. XBGuy. That's one that she often brings. If it is on the Princess list, she can bring something else.

There used to be some nice white Burgundy (Chassagne-Montrachet) on various Princess wine lists, but in the last few years, they have really downgraded those. They do have a Chablis. It's OK but not compelling. I know that the Chablis is on the Vines menu. I have to believe there is a California Chardonnay also available at Vines. Maybe, it's Simi, but I can't remember for sure.

We did enjoy the Simi Cabernet they had in Crooners last year in the Coral as it seemed the best that cruise as a wine by the glass. I don’t remember which Simi it was because when I found that brand at home it wasn’t as full bodied. So it must have been at least one better than the Simi they had at Target! They only sold it at Crooners. No Vines on the Coral (sadness) as I like that wine bar! Looking forward to new wines to try on the Ruby soon in November.

It seems to me that for the last three or four years, Princess has offered the Simi "Landslide" Cabernet Sauvignon. If you live near a Total Wine, you might be able to find it there.

"It seems to me that for the last three or four years, Princess has offered the Simi "Landslide" Cabernet Sauvignon. If you live near a Total Wine, you might be able to find it there."

Thanks! It was just enough of a change from J Lohr or whatever else we had on the Sip & Sail. Without a Vines on the ship, it just depended what bar we ended up at, but they did not have that in the dining room by the glass so we had to bring it in at mealtime. As I look at the pics on the Simi website and check out the labels, it was the Alexander Valley that our grocery store and Target had. It's about half the price, so that would explain why it tasted fine, but not AMAZING.

"It seems to me that for the last three or four years, Princess has offered the Simi "Landslide" Cabernet Sauvignon. If you live near a Total Wine, you might be able to find it there."

Thanks! It was just enough of a change from J Lohr or whatever else we had on the Sip & Sail. Without a Vines on the ship, it just depended what bar we ended up at, but they did not have that in the dining room by the glass so we had to bring it in at mealtime. As I look at the pics on the Simi website and check out the labels, it was the Alexander Valley that our grocery store and Target had. It's about half the price, so that would explain why it tasted fine, but not AMAZING.

We enjoy the Simi Landslide and they used to offer it for a very good price pre-cruise. But the prices has crept up over the last few years.

• 2 weeks later...
The Rombauer will please Mrs. XBGuy. That's one that she often brings. If it is on the Princess list, she can bring something else.

There used to be some nice white Burgundy (Chassagne-Montrachet) on various Princess wine lists, but in the last few years, they have really downgraded those. They do have a Chablis. It's OK but not compelling. I know that the Chablis is on the Vines menu. I have to believe there is a California Chardonnay also available at Vines. Maybe, it's Simi, but I can't remember for sure.

It seems to me that for the last three or four years, Princess has offered the Simi "Landslide" Cabernet Sauvignon. If you live near a Total Wine, you might be able to find it there.

The best chardonnay that was by the glass and included in the package was Simi last time we were onboard. Like I said, ok, but we could have done with some variety.

As far as Rombauer, they are finally out with their 2017 release and it retails for about $45 a bottle. We've found some reasonable facsimiles to this at Total Wines for better prices ... still not Rombauer but worth a try. Lloyd's Chardonnay retails for about $32 a bottle and Muirwood Chardonnay can be found for about $17. Both are close enough when you can't find Rombauer or is just outside of your price range. All Napa Valley wines have gone up (seems like it anyway) since the fires last year. <|3

So the next 3FF promotion is release, how about the details on the new drinks??

That would be good but it’s not scheduled to begin until the Fall and Princess has never disclosed their drink options beyond the few bottles (wine & spirits) that are available for pre-purchase.

Hopefully someone will post the information but that might not happen until October.

Would like to see better french champagnes that are not three times retail

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would, too but I think wines and champagnes are generally marked up 3 times their retail value whenever you go out to a restaurant so wouldn't expect a cruise ship to have them for less than that.

Have only seen two times in california except for champagne. There is a good wine store near Southampton that has great champagne and prices. Probably going to buy some and have it delivered to holiday inn. Free.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The best chardonnay that was by the glass and included in the package was Simi last time we were onboard. Like I said, ok, but we could have done with some variety.

As far as Rombauer, they are finally out with their 2017 release and it retails for about $45 a bottle. We've found some reasonable facsimiles to this at Total Wines for better prices ... still not Rombauer but worth a try. Lloyd's Chardonnay retails for about $32 a bottle and Muirwood Chardonnay can be found for about $17. Both are close enough when you can't find Rombauer or is just outside of your price range. All Napa Valley wines have gone up (seems like it anyway) since the fires last year. <|3

OK, this has nothing to do with cruising, but I am just happy to talk about wine.

Some of Mrs XBGuy's favorite Chardonnays that I consistently pick up at Total Wine:

• Chappellet. Low-to-mid $30s. Grapes for this bottling are from, I believe, the Napa part of the Carneros.
  • Sonoma Loeb, This label is actually now owned by Chappellet and, so, has the same winemaker--Phillip Titus. The Sonoma Loeb Chardonnays all come from Sonoma County vineyards. There are three different Sonoma Loeb bottlings ranging from the low $20s to the low $30s. Mrs, XBGuy likes them all,
  • Lewis. Very similar flavor profile to Rombauer. Also, very similar in pricing. Napa Valley and Sonoma Valley bottlings are in the high $40s. Reserve and single-vineyard bottlings are north of that.

I'm super excited about those new cocktails. Especially the margarita but I bet I would be fine with any of them. I had a jalapeno margarita on the emerald once and it was so full of seeds that even though it tasted good, it was crazy hot and it kept sucking up seeds through the straw.

Any word on drink details including pricing and roll out date?

Nothing I’ve seen since the 8/12/18 email announcement & based on their statement no one may have information before it’s implemented in Fall: The new beverage menu offerings will be available aboard all ships in Fall 2018”.

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/beverages/?cid=brand_email_info_internal_announcement_other_pe8ms093_180812_&eccn=&rrid=175884308A&mi_u=175884308A

Nothing I’ve seen since the 8/12/18 email announcement & based on their statement no one may have information before it’s implemented in Fall: The new beverage menu offerings will be available aboard all ships in Fall 2018”.

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/beverages/?cid=brand_email_info_internal_announcement_other_pe8ms093_180812_&eccn=&rrid=175884308A&mi_u=175884308A

Keeping my fingers crossed the new offerings will be available on the Star in November.....:):):)

Bob