Uniworld changes on Rhine

vino100

We will be boarding the River Queen in a couple of days. Have been following her on marine traffic and so far, so good. If they do need to go to a plan 'b' I know Uniworld will treat us right, having done a plan 'b' once before.

RB

Wish we had a plan b . . . instead they just cancelled our trip 2 days before we were to fly :mad:

when did you see that the SS Antoinette was moving down river? Our cruise on the SS Antoinette 12Aug to 19Aug Amsterdam to Basel was cancelled!!! Yet we saw photos on IG of "Pretzel and Sausage making" during that time period. I just think Uniworld doesn't want anyone to know they actually cancelled a cruise.

In fairness to Uniworld, in the comments section of those photos, they stated the Antoinette wasn't sailing. She is sailing again, and is currently in Boppard.

Robin

Thank you Ritabob for your updates. Would love to hear what you or other cruisers think of Villa Borg. I like it and the Saar bow is a highlight of nature in that area. Whichever excursion you have chosen, I hope it is great.

For the others: Mehring is close to Schweich and still in the wider administration district of Trier.

notamermaid

This morning was very foggy , and the Saar Bow was the first stop. I have seen many pictures of this beautiful section, but had never seen it filled with low clouds. Beautiful in its own way, but very different than the typical postcard.

Villa Borg is nicely done and when the project is complete it will be amazing.

Today passengers split into 3 groups...13 to Villa Borg and about 100 were off to Luxembourg...some stopping at the cemetery, others, not.

RB

Edited by Ritabob
Crazy auto correct

In fairness to Uniworld, in the comments section of those photos, they stated the Antoinette wasn't sailing. She is sailing again, and is currently in Boppard.

Robin

Should have been mentioned in the post . . . not everyone reads the comments!! Imagine if you were to be on that cruise and you see that post on IG!! You cannot imagine the disappointment after meticulously planning pre cruise/cruise/post cruise itineraries and then in an instant have it all fall apart! Have you tried navigating through the insurance process??? Soon I'll let it go, but it's still very fresh! I'm sure Uniworld is a fine company, but they handled this cancellation, in a PR way, very poorly.

Should have been mentioned in the post . . . not everyone reads the comments!! Imagine if you were to be on that cruise and you see that post on IG!! You cannot imagine the disappointment after meticulously planning pre cruise/cruise/post cruise itineraries and then in an instant have it all fall apart! Have you tried navigating through the insurance process??? Soon I'll let it go, but it's still very fresh! I'm sure Uniworld is a fine company, but they handled this cancellation, in a PR way, very poorly.

You state that you have problems navigating through the insurance paper work, just as Uniworld is having problems in their boats navigating the Rhine and Danube in this very trying time.

This morning was very foggy , and the Saar Bow was the first stop. I have seen many pictures of this beautiful section, but had never seen it filled with low clouds. Beautiful in its own way, but very different than the typical postcard.

Villa Borg is nicely done and when the project is complete it will be amazing.

Today passengers split into 3 groups...13 to Villa Borg and about 100 were off to Luxembourg...some stopping at the cemetery, others, not.

RB

Thanks for your updates, Ritabob. We thoroughly enjoyed this exact itinerary on the R,Q. last summer. It's been fun to be reminded of a beautiful cruise.

Paul

You state that you have problems navigating through the insurance paper work, just as Uniworld is having problems in their boats navigating the Rhine and Danube in this very trying time.

Really?!? Really!!? You’re gonna make that comparison!! I see you are a long time cruiser so expect you get quite a few perks. Well we were to be first time cruisers and had saved what seems like forever for a once in a lifetime trip! And with nothing more than a 6 line email cancelling it all, and a take it or leave it offer that would only work for retired people, which we are not!!

Our Uniworld cruise was canceled and handled very poorly. We were to depart on the SS Beatrice on August 22 from Budapest to Bucharest. Uniworld reps did not seem to care that a year of planning was ::poof:: gone up in smoke. They offered no assistance with work around, just left us hanging to make our own “plan B”. Extremely poor customer service. We will not ever attempt to sail with them again. Update....the Beatrice seems to be moving along the Danube (based on ship trackers sites) and we met some cruisers on the following cruise (Bucharest to Budapest) who have not been told of any cancellations or work around situations. I think they are in for a surprise when they get ready to board the ship!

when did you see that the SS Antoinette was moving down river? Our cruise on the SS Antoinette 12Aug to 19Aug Amsterdam to Basel was cancelled!!! Yet we saw photos on IG of "Pretzel and Sausage making" during that time period. I just think Uniworld doesn't want anyone to know they actually cancelled a cruise.

I tracked on “cruise planner ‘ the August 19 - 26 th Cruise from Basel to Amsterdam. I have now been following the 26 - Sept 2 cruise from Amsterdam to Basel. I think “cruise planner” uses GPS so I’m thinking it is accurate. Well at least it should be.

I am so sorry your cruise got cancelled as I would be very disappointed too. I’m hoping that mine on Sept. 9 from Amsterdam to Basel is a go. I will keep everyone informed. We leave for Europe this Friday. I may not find out until I’m in Europe. If it is cancelled we plan to rent a car in Amsterdam and drive to Basel. not ideal , but not sure what else to do. I agree with you about Uniworld’s lack of communication. I have called several times and was told no cruises had been cancelled. Obviously that was a fib.

Wednesday 29th, 3:15 pm. The River Queen is lined up to go through the lock at Muden on the Moselle. Going down river toward Koblenz.

We left Cochem a while ago and left Viking Hilt and Amaprima there to enjoy the sunshine . Here it has started to drizzle a bit, but it is pleasantly warm.

RB

It's kind of scary to think that a trip could be cancelled days before it was to happen.

We generally plan a longer trip around our cruises and are traveling at least a week or more before embarkation.

Would hate to miss the cruise and have to make big adjustments to our agenda but would more than likely still travel and make our own plans.

I understand that not everyone has the flexibility to do that and that can really ruin a vacation.

We boarded the S.S. Beatrice a couple hours ago for our Bucharest to Budapest cruise. The ship got into Bucharest today, with the previous cruise having been canceled.

We start out on an indeterminate cruise. Not even the crew knows what the end of the cruise will foretell as we get nearer Budapest if rains don’t come.

Tough situation, I agree. We had a cruise canceled in a similar way back in June 2013 - remember the flood of the millenium, when Passau was underwater? We were supposed to cruise that week.

We both work full-time so we are locked into the vacation times that we request and don't have the flexibility to move them at the last minute. We also plan things on either end, and we buy our own airline tickets. So we are really locked in!

In our case we had 2 nights in Nuremburg before the cruise, then a train to Vienna to catch the boat, a few days cruising to Passau, then guided tours of Munich and Neuschwanstein before the tour ended. We then planned a few days of driving through Bavaria and Franconia on our own before flying home. We'd planned to be gone 2 weeks, with 8 days of that time accounted for by our organized cruise tour.

We were due to fly out on a Wednesday and start the cruise on a Saturday. We had been watching the flooding and reached out to our TA on the previous Friday, but there was as of yet no word about cancellation. But on the Monday before we were due to depart, the cruise was canceled. By e-mail. Of course we were disappointed, but the ship simply couldn't sail. You can't argue with the water levels. And you can't know what will happen on the river more than a few days in advance.

So it was a hectic 48 hours of rearranging our itinerary on the fly. We decided that we were going no matter what. We worked out the first half of our plan B and flew over without a confirmed plan for the second week. We only had 10 nights worth of hotel reservations confirmed when we left home, for a 14-day trip. We figured that we'd see what happened with the flooding and go from there.

In short, it turned out to be one of the best vacations we've taken. We saw much more on our own then we would have seen on the cruise tour. It was really liberating to make up the itinerary as we went, on the fly. We'd wake up and say, "Where do you want to go today?" and discuss over breakfast. Then we'd buy a train ticket, or rent a car, and go there. It was also very easy to do. Driving is easy and the trains are a great alternative.

A few caveats. We are obsessive planners and usually have every detail planned before we go. So this was definitely different for us. But the planning is what saved us - we had looked at many possible pre- and post-cruise itineraries, so we had lots of things to choose from and could easily fill the two weeks up.

We liked it so much that we have been back many times since then. I would encourage those of you who can be flexible to go anyway, cruise or no cruise. We spoke no German and had never done something like this before, but it can be done. Although I understand the disappointment, it could really turn into a great opportunity.

vino100, your plan B sounds great! There is so much to do on that route that you could take 4 weeks to make the trip and you'd still have to leave things out. One hint though - consider taking some of the journey by train. Reason? One-way car rentals which cross borders (drop off in a different country than the pick up) can incur hefty drop charges. It can easily double your cost.

Best of luck for good water levels to those on upcoming cruises.

A few caveats. We are obsessive planners and usually have every detail planned before we go. So this was definitely different for us. But the planning is what saved us - we had looked at many possible pre- and post-cruise itineraries, so we had lots of things to choose from and could easily fill the two weeks up.

This fits right in with my favorite quote from General Eisenhower: "In preparing for battle I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensable."

Tough situation, I agree. We had a cruise canceled in a similar way back in June 2013 - remember the flood of the millenium, when Passau was underwater? We were supposed to cruise that week.

We both work full-time so we are locked into the vacation times that we request and don't have the flexibility to move them at the last minute. We also plan things on either end, and we buy our own airline tickets. So we are really locked in!

In our case we had 2 nights in Nuremburg before the cruise, then a train to Vienna to catch the boat, a few days cruising to Passau, then guided tours of Munich and Neuschwanstein before the tour ended. We then planned a few days of driving through Bavaria and Franconia on our own before flying home. We'd planned to be gone 2 weeks, with 8 days of that time accounted for by our organized cruise tour.

We were due to fly out on a Wednesday and start the cruise on a Saturday. We had been watching the flooding and reached out to our TA on the previous Friday, but there was as of yet no word about cancellation. But on the Monday before we were due to depart, the cruise was canceled. By e-mail. Of course we were disappointed, but the ship simply couldn't sail. You can't argue with the water levels. And you can't know what will happen on the river more than a few days in advance.

So it was a hectic 48 hours of rearranging our itinerary on the fly. We decided that we were going no matter what. We worked out the first half of our plan B and flew over without a confirmed plan for the second week. We only had 10 nights worth of hotel reservations confirmed when we left home, for a 14-day trip. We figured that we'd see what happened with the flooding and go from there.

In short, it turned out to be one of the best vacations we've taken. We saw much more on our own then we would have seen on the cruise tour. It was really liberating to make up the itinerary as we went, on the fly. We'd wake up and say, "Where do you want to go today?" and discuss over breakfast. Then we'd buy a train ticket, or rent a car, and go there. It was also very easy to do. Driving is easy and the trains are a great alternative.

We liked it so much that we have been back many times since then. I would encourage those of you who can be flexible to go anyway, cruise or no cruise. We spoke no German and had never done something like this before, but it can be done. Although I understand the disappointment, it could really turn into a great opportunity.

vino100, your plan B sounds great! There is so much to do on that route that you could take 4 weeks to make the trip and you'd still have to leave things out. One hint though - consider taking some of the journey by train. Reason? One-way car rentals which cross borders (drop off in a different country than the pick up) can incur hefty drop charges. It can easily double your cost.

Best of luck for good water levels to those on upcoming cruises.

Thank you for the train idea. Sounds even more adventuresome. Hopefully we will still be cruising !!!

Thursday the 30th , almost 7am. Boppard on the Rhine. It is a grey morning, 16°. We will be cruising past the castles later this morning and according to the captain we will make it to Basel for disembarkation on Monday.

RB

Thursday the 30th , almost 7am. Boppard on the Rhine. It is a grey morning, 16°. We will be cruising past the castles later this morning and according to the captain we will make it to Basel for disembarkation on Monday.

RB

Enjoy the castles as you make your way to Basel !

RB

Excellent! Thanks for posting. Have a great day.

Thank you for the train idea. Sounds even more adventuresome. Hopefully we will still be cruising !!!

We are booked for October 2019 on Scenic - Amsterdam to Basel. We are doing our own flights a few days earlier and then staying in Europe for 10-14 days after to train with friends from Basel through Switzerland and Austria to Vienna and finally Budapest.

I have my plan B all worked out already. If river levels mean a cancellation, or worse a bus trip, we will catch trains from Amsterdam to Basel, and the start of end of our holiday will continue as always planned.

Possibly being pessimistic but at least we can relax knowing that we will have a great holiday anyway.

Hope all goes well for you.

We boarded the S.S. Beatrice a couple hours ago for our Bucharest to Budapest cruise. The ship got into Bucharest today, with the previous cruise having been canceled.

We start out on an indeterminate cruise. Not even the crew knows what the end of the cruise will foretell as we get nearer Budapest if rains don’t come.

We would love to know the status of this particular cruise, so please keep us posted. We were on the canceled Uniworld SS Beatrice cruise immediately before yours, and still don’t understand why ours seems to be the only impacted cruise. Are you able to make each port, or are you being bussed to different locations?

Sunday September 2nd, Breisach,

Sandwiched between Amastella and Avalon tranquility II. Cool, cool morning. Will be in Basel for disembarkation tomorrow.

Other than a few minor changes....like cooler weather instead of the heat, flipping the order of visiting two towns in the itinerary, everything has gone extremely well.

RB

Poppy4;

We’re in Belgrade today. Everything going as planned with no long bus trips.

What we have been told of your canceled cruise. Coming downstream from Regensburg the Beatrice was stuck for three days in Bratislava along with nine other boats. To get out, the Captain pumped all the water out of the tanks and unloaded all but basic supplies to allow the boat to float higher in the water so to get out.

Don’t know if you read my other post but when we started north on the river the boat was running with about 25 cm of water between the hull and the river bottom.

We have only had blue skies and hot weather, but apparently it’s raining up north and they’re not expecting difficulty getting into Budapest.

That's good to hear! We are starting our cruise on the S.S. Antoinette today (9/2) and will try to post weather updates and any itinerary changes.[/quote

Thanks for any updates. We board her on the 9th. Enjoy your cruise.

Sunday September 2nd, Breisach,

Sandwiched between Amastella and Avalon tranquility II. Cool, cool morning. Will be in Basel for disembarkation tomorrow.

Other than a few minor changes....like cooler weather instead of the heat, flipping the order of visiting two towns in the itinerary, everything has gone extremely well.

RB

So glad you had smooth sailing from Trier. Thanks for posting, my spirits are lifting. Enjoy the rest of your cruise.