Tips for Azamara Newbies

Grandma Cruising

Several financial institutions offer reimbursement of all (domestic and foreign) ATM fees.  I always use an local bank ATM upon arrival at a foreign airport. The exchange rate is usually the best, and I have all fees automatically added back into my account.

After buying foreign currency several times through the local bank, I found that a)currency is much cheaper through ATMs at airports or banks at your destination and b)most businesses would rather you pay with a credit card than currency. Get a credit card that doesn't charge for foreign transactions.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cruiseryder said:

Thanks for the replies. We have cruised on smaller ships than Quest and have always had to buy currency before we travelled so will continue to do so. Thanks Grandma will look at possibility of ordering from Tesco, unfortunately no large store near us.

You can get it by post, but you have to guarantee to be in when the package arrives as you have to sign for it. They do tell you exactly which day. Delivery is free if you order more than £500 worth of currency.

1 hour ago, PirateWife said:

After buying foreign currency several times through the local bank, I found that a)currency is much cheaper through ATMs at airports or banks at your destination and b)most businesses would rather you pay with a credit card than currency. Get a credit card that doesn't charge for foreign transactions.

That’s great advice. We have a card which both gives a great rate and charges no fees.  One thing you do have to remember is to always ask to pay in the local currency, so your credit card does the exchange. In some countries they try to get you to pay in your own currency, and give a very pooor exchange rate.

There’s a topic in this forum about the Ultimate Beverage Package, including a question about signing up for it onboard. The following advice was given by uktog. “You can do it at any bar and the form you complete includes a section where you tick your loyalty level. The price is automatically adjusted. On embarkation day you will also find two tables set up one to the right of the pool bar and the other in Mosaic cafe with staff able to process orders.”

Its also worth noting that LCV members (including those with LCV points through cruises with Celebrity and reciprocal status through cruises with Royal Caribbean) can get a discount on the Ultimate Beverage packages if they buy the package onboard. - from 5% to 25% depending on LCV level.

• Like 1

Hi.  I knew this but forgot it.  

What are customs and policies for tipping waiters, bartenders, cabin stewards and others.  What is included in our fare?  What is customary, above and beyond that?  Many thanks. 

14 minutes ago, boss61 said:

Hi.  I knew this but forgot it.  

What are customs and policies for tipping waiters, bartenders, cabin stewards and others.  What is included in our fare?  What is customary, above and beyond that?  Many thanks. 

Hi boss61, gratuities are included in your cruise fare. 

If you wish to recognize anyone for exceptional service, you are welcome to tip. It is entirely discretionary.

And/Or some guests give to the Crew Welfare fund, which is used for parties, and sometimes for actual welfare needs. 

7 hours ago, BBMacLaird said:

If you wish to recognize anyone for exceptional service, you are welcome to tip. It is entirely discretionary.

And/Or some guests give to the Crew Welfare fund, which is used for parties, and sometimes for actual welfare needs. 

Contributions to the Crew Welfare Fund are very much welcomed.

Von88, we're on an upcoming cruise.  We were advised on the scheduling of this by AZ roughly 30 days in advance.  We had already booked a conflicting shore excursion through AZ and it was no problem canceling that for a refund.  Booking third party shore excursions that might come to conflict, could be riskier.  I hope this helps. 

Von88, have fun.  We leave for ours in less than a week.  

We found scrolling backward through all these posts to be very helpful too.  If you have time, you may consider it.  

Edited by boss61
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, von88 said:

Thankyou for your response - we are booked for March 25 so I will wait for a bit until I book a personal tour. 

Cheers

Hi von88,

your AzAmazing Evening will be in Philipsburg St Maarten. It is published on our website. https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/voyage/jr16r017/16-night-miami-new-york-voyage

Have a great cruise!

16 minutes ago, cruise47 said:

We are Elite on Celebrity, but we are now looking at AZ.

Celebrity is changing.

This thread have been very helpful and very positive. IMHO.

I agree with your comment about this thread!

I don't think you'll be disappointed with AZ.  We have sailed over 20 times with Celebrity and agree that it has changed over time.  In August we will be sailing on AZ for the fourth time and are looking forward to it.  Take the plunge!

On 1/14/2019 at 11:27 PM, BBMacLaird said:

Am presently on Pursuit. in a club continent suite   Had dinner in prime c last night.  I was given a bill with a 0 balance  but when signing it asks if you want to add a tip. Not sure what most people do.  I was under impression gratuities were included

6 minutes ago, roberts2005 said:

Am presently on Pursuit. in a club continent suite   Had dinner in prime c last night.  I was given a bill with a 0 balance  but when signing it asks if you want to add a tip. Not sure what most people do.  I was under impression gratuities were included

It is included.  The line is there if you want to add anything for the waiter having done something special for you.  The paper you signed clearly said the tip was included.

Many of us make a contribution to the Crew Welfare Fund as a way of thanking the Azamara crew for the attentive and friendly service they always provide.

15 hours ago, roberts2005 said:

They are however we noted on Pursuit a certain waiter when a guest asked gave the very distinct indication that because it was speciality guests gave extra.  You do not need to give extra and should only do for service above and beyond. Given you are in a suite the Crew Fund towards the end of the cruise is the fairest way to generally give extra.  We did not on our last cruise on Pursuit find any specialty staff worthy of additional gratuities in the ones that served us.  

56 minutes ago, roberts2005 said:

A laundry question. As discover level we just received one free coupon each for a 16 day cruise.  Since the same amount of coupon is given for a 7 day cruise, shouldn’t you receive 2 each for a 16 day cruise.?

No, it’s not one per person per week, it’s one per cabin per week, so 2 for a 16 day cruise is correct.