Tips for Azamara Newbies

Grandma Cruising

8 hours ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

I understand that because the 'Tips' spreadsheet has been created in Google Sheets some people may have problems reading it. If you can't read it can you post here to let me know and I will try to create a PDF of it.

I was able to read (and download) it without any problems.  So far so good.

In response to a question about how the B2B process works for those staying in the same cabin uktog posted very helpful information which I have copied below and added to the spreadshee

“Azamara will invite you to a nice event with a drink a few days before the end and will explain the procedures. It differs in every port but it’s very simple. You can do whatever you want, go off stay aboard,it’s your choice. If you want to leave earlier that the time they schedule for b2b processing (you check out with your old card and set up you new one they give you at the b2b meeting) just say.  If it’s possible they will set it up.

One nice thing, you can order room service breakfast even though the newsletter says there is no room service (that’s for the leavers). We do that as the other places are pretty busy. 

And if you are staying onboard the laundry will be very quiet, so it can be a good time to use it.  You are allowed anywhere on the ship even though signs say otherwise.  They will explain any crewdrills or disruption (eg carpet laying) that’s happening at the b2b event. 

One nice thing, you can order room service breakfast even though the newsletter says there is no room service (that’s for the leavers). 

And if you are staying onboard the laundry will be very quiet, so it can be a good time to use it.  You are allowed anywhere on the ship even though signs say otherwise.  They will explain any crewdrills or disruption (eg carpet laying) that’s happening at the b2b event.”

Edited by Host Grandma Cruising

I’ve just been learning how to turn google spreadsheets into PDFs then make a link for them, so people can find them. I’ve had a go with this spreadsheet, so here goes, let me know if you can read it. 

http://*****/TipsforAzamaraNewbies

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

I’ve just been learning how to turn google spreadsheets into PDFs then make a link for them, so people can find them. I’ve had a go with this spreadsheet, so here goes, let me know if you can read it. 

http://*****/TipsforAzamaraNewbies

I can see the sheet but it is extremely small print.  Maybe it is just my settings, but it is impossible to read, and I cannot seem to enlarge the print size???

NRayH

47 minutes ago, Ray in NH said:

I can see the sheet but it is extremely small print.  Maybe it is just my settings, but it is impossible to read, and I cannot seem to enlarge the print size???

NRayH

I can enlarge it on my iPad using the usual pull out with my fingers technique.  Are you seeing it in Dropbox? On my Mac when I click it here there's a dark grey box that pops up at the bottom with a + and - in it. Clicking the + enlarges it. Can you see that?

This is all very experimental for me, so it may be a bit trial & error.

10 minutes ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

I can enlarge it on my iPad using the usual pull out with my fingers technique.  Are you seeing it in Dropbox? On my Mac when I click it here there's a dark grey box that pops up at the bottom with a + and - in it. Clicking the + enlarges it. Can you see that?

Thank you.

I was able to find the (+/-) buttons to enlarge the print size.  However, I still find attempts to glean useful information too much of a chore.  Maybe after our first Azamara cruise in a couple of months, I'll have a better feel about if I need/want to learn more about the ""ins and outs" of cruising this line.

Thank you for your efforts -- they are appreciated.

NRayH

16 minutes ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

I was able to using the pull out technique.

15 hours ago, Ray in NH said:

Thank you.

I was able to find the (+/-) buttons to enlarge the print size.  However, I still find attempts to glean useful information too much of a chore.  Maybe after our first Azamara cruise in a couple of months, I'll have a better feel about if I need/want to learn more about the ""ins and outs" of cruising this line.

Thank you for your efforts -- they are appreciated.

NRayH

Thanks very much for letting me know you found the buttons and for your kind words!

If you’ve read the topic all through, it’s all the same information. I did the spreadsheet at someone’s suggestion - different people have different ways of taking in information. 

You could try printing it for reference.

Further to the tips about B2B guests, uktog and marinaro44 have given some additional advice for those on B2Bs who are changing cabins.

uktog said 

“If you do not have the same room, and you are not around for the move, you have to pack all your items up except hanging items and staff will move it whilst you are ashore.  The problem is you have to empty the safe and then carry your valuables ashore for the day which you might not want to do in some cities.

You can order breakfast whatever is happening though it has to be delivered before 0800”

marinaro44 said “ The moves are typically done between 8:30 and 9 in the morning.  If the "new" stateroom has been vacated you can move valuables to the "new" safe before the room has been made up, and then leave the ship” however uktog added that in her experience this was often not possible and that they have decided that in future if they will be in a port where they want to get off and explore in the middle of a B2B they will ensure they have the same cabin for both cruises.

Just been a topic asking if dressing gowns and slippers are provided - the answer is yes, in all staterooms.

i’ve added That into the spreadsheet. Here’s the link to the google spreadsheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15Deg-GaeZYLml8NN3PVwoh_jUkQ8QmYUe1wxnVAlODE

For those of you who can’t access google spreadsheets here’s the link to the PDF version

http://*****/AzamaraNewbiesTips

On 8/22/2018 at 7:19 PM, Tom47 said:

Azamara showers are very small, with shower curtains. We now bring magnetic clips to stop the shower curtain from billowing in. I bought them on Amazon

Great tip.  Link to the clips please?  Not sure what to purchase.  Thanks!

On 1/3/2019 at 9:12 PM, excitedofharpenden said:

Yes, standard cabins have a British socket too on Pursuit, but not on Journey or Quest.  Just one euro and two US.  There are also two US style on all ships in the open cabinet above the safe.

Phil

02F7C581-D32F-4713-8973-A7614BF277BE.jpeg

Not sure if anyone has posted this as a tip (I'm on page 9 of 16, reading for the first time) but I always bring a power strip with me on cruises and to hotels.  Usually don't even need the second North American plug then as I've got plenty on the strip.

5 hours ago, scrabblelady said:

Not sure if anyone has posted this as a tip (I'm on page 9 of 16, reading for the first time) but I always bring a power strip with me on cruises and to hotels.  Usually don't even need the second North American plug then as I've got plenty on the strip.

Good tip. I have added it to the spreadsheet. I’ve also added my own tip, which is to bring a multi USB plug. Wherever we go on holiday we take a 4 USB point plug so we can easily charge all our devices (2 phones, 2 Kindle’s and an IPad).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Good tip. I have added it to the spreadsheet. I’ve also added my own tip, which is to bring a multi USB plug. Wherever we go on holiday we take a 4 USB point plug so we can easily charge all our devices (2 phones, 2 Kindle’s and an IPad).

Great!  Also, newer power strips incorporate USB ports, so you can do a twofer.  

Does Azamara allow power strips to be brought on board?  Royal Caribbean confiscates them at boarding to be returned upon disembarking.  On my last RC cruise (December), my checked bag was held until I went down to reclaim it.  Their scanning saw my power strip, along with dozens of others, which were being held.

7 hours ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Don’t know about Azamara, but some cruise lines frown on the use of power strips. Better check.

44 minutes ago, Rabo said:

Found this on Azamara’s web site.  “Extension Cords and Multi-Plug Outlets/Power Strips” are on the list of prohibited items.

https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/booked-guests/before-you-board/packing-tips

Thanks for that Rabo - I’ll amend the spreadsheet. It doesn’t say that USB plugs are prohibited, so I’ll leave that in. We’ve always taken one, usually in our carry on bag, and never had a problem.