Rain in Caribbean

Ok I’m after suggestions. I’m quite happy whatever the weather happens to be but we have booked a cruise in the ‘rainy season’ - what do you do when it rains ?

Still go to the beach regardless / wander about in the rain getting wet (no coat - never take one to the Caribbean!) / find a quite corner to read and people watch or put the drinks package to good use :D:D.

Just wondering :)

Gill

Florida and the Carib during rainy season (now actually) has thunderstorms that come in quickly, dump a lot of water, and then move on. Just find a convenient bar or cafe to duck into...and then come back out into the sunshine as it passes by. :cool: Unless it's a hurricane...then you have much more to worry about. :o:eek:

Where we are staying in Maine right now...as when I lived in Michigan, the all day rain just likes to hang out and not be in any hurry to go away. :o:(

Still go to the beach regardless / wander about in the rain getting wet (no coat - never take one to the Caribbean!) / find a quite corner to read and people watch or put the drinks package to good use :D:D.

Exactly the same. Once in St. Maarten we rented a car, and there was a torrential downpour, I mean huge - flash flooding in the streets. Didn't even make it where we wanted to go, so we returned the car and proceeded to the nearest bar. ;p;p;p

One of the more memorable rain events on vacation!

I have friends who are on Grandeur right now (at Coco Cay) and a sudden rainstorm came upon them (so sudden that the ship didn't get the solarium roof closed in time). As they are stay-aboard people (in most ports), they got a bit wet, changed loungers, and continued on their business. 15 minutes later the sun was out !!!

Steve

(BTW, they have found the best (and only legitimate) way to be chair hogs... Just sit in them all day !!!)

And most of the time, the rain is late afternoon or evening. We go to the Caribbean all the time. Not always great weather, but most of the time it is.

If there is a shower, it is usually short lived. We sit under our umbrella and watch all the people "play" in the rain! Unlike the north, the rain is WARM!

I have friends who are on Grandeur right now (at Coco Cay) and a sudden rainstorm came upon them (so sudden that the ship didn't get the solarium roof closed in time). As they are stay-aboard people (in most ports), they got a bit wet, changed loungers, and continued on their business. 15 minutes later the sun was out !!!

Steve

(BTW, they have found the best (and only legitimate) way to be chair hogs... Just sit in them all day !!!)

That's not a chair hog.

A chair hog is someone who "holds" a chair with possessions WITHOUT using it.

Big difference.

A plastic rain cape is a handy thing to have in your bag on excursions. [emoji23] [emoji23] This was in St. Lucia last December.[ATTACH]427057[/ATTACH]

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

I used to carry a plastic poncho on every cruise.

I still have the original one from 16 years ago, unopened.

:D

I still have the original one from 16 years ago, unopened.

:D

Hehe, ours were given to us by MSC prior to an excursion to Pompeii several years ago. They also remained unopened until that trip in St. Lucia. [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

I still have the original one from 16 years ago, unopened.:D

Wow, that's impressive! I would have thought that in 16 years, there would have been at least one or two occasions that the poncho could have been used to prevent the rain from diluting your drink... ;)

Seems like my family ALWAYS has a rainy cruise. We’re used to it. Sometimes it’s nonstop rain, but more often it is cloudy & small showers. Those cheap plastic ponchos are perfect to tuck into your backpack, just in case. If we have a beach day planned, and it’s just cloudy, we go.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Every time it's started raining on me in the Caribbean, the rain stopped before I could do what I decided to do because of the rain.

Does that say something about the duration of the rain shower or about the time you need to make a decision?:p

We always pack a plastic bag in our bags, last year in Barbados the heavens opened, we just put our stuff in the plastic bag to keep it dry on our loungers and headed into the sea, the rain was warm and the water was warm, the rain passed within 30 minutes, one of our best beach days.

My favorite time to swim in the ocean is during a rainstorm. Rain in the Caribbean (in my experience) rarely lasts long and is nice and warm. We have a big water-proof bag to stuff in towels and cover-ups then leave it on the beach while swimming.

My favorite time to swim in the ocean is during a rainstorm. Rain in the Caribbean (in my experience) rarely lasts long and is nice and warm. We have a big water-proof bag to stuff in towels and cover-ups then leave it on the beach while swimming.

Though I don't suggest during a thunderstorm. :eek:

One year we were at Coki Beach in STT. Rained for a while. We sat under our nice umbrella and watched everyone play in the water with the rain coming down. So much fun. We saw no reason to leave. Finally, rain stopped and sunshine came out and I got a least some sun time.

Thanks for all the helpful and fun replies - I have found only 2 packet macs (there are 3 of us ! We will have to play rock,paper,scissors ha ha )

Then I will follow the crowd going to the nearest bar :'):'):')

Gill

I think we got ours from Walmart, back by the luggage, maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums