Post Cruise Flight Time

TQ1188

Hope all is well with everyone. I am trying to book the post cruise flight. We will be sailing in February on the HAL Nieuw Amsterdam which has a disembark time of 7am on a Sunday in Fort Lauderdale. There is a 10 am flight I am looking at. Do you think I will be able to make this flight or should I make it later? We would use Global Entry. Thanks!

I would not book a flight that early. Could you make it? Possibly, but if there is any delay in arrival due to weather, customs, etc. you might be stuck in FLL a couple of days waiting for a spot on a flight.

Having said this, you might be at he airport and through security before 8:30 a.m.

The question is how much risk are you willing to take?

Hope all is well with everyone. I am trying to book the post cruise flight. We will be sailing in February on the HAL Nieuw Amsterdam which has a disembark time of 7am on a Sunday in Fort Lauderdale. There is a 10 am flight I am looking at. Do you think I will be able to make this flight or should I make it later? We would use Global Entry. Thanks!

Why do people keep asking this question to which they already know the answer?

Later would be better . Check how many ships will be in port at the same time . If four or more , a later flight is better.

Thank you to all of those who provided food for thought. Thanks to the poster who suggested finding out how many ships disembark on the same day. Greatly appreciated.

So the common advice (including from me) would be not to book anything before 11. That being said, we would probably gamble on your flight if there was nothing reasonable in the following few hours. If it was on Southwest we would not worry too much because they would get us on a later flight (although it could be in the evening). For a 10am flight you will need to pray that your ship docks on time and is cleared without much delay. You should use express disembarkation and will likely be off the ship by 7:30 (they will usually dock before 7). GE helps at Port Everglades and you will likely be at FLL by 8 with very little traffic on a Sunday morning. Having GE means you also get TSA Pre-check which helps on a busy Sunday morning at FLL.

One tip is that you have your airline's phone number and app in your phone. If it becomes apparent that you will miss your flight you should contact them immediately to get on a later flight.

Hank

FLL is the only port I would consider doing this at,and I have. Booked a 10:10 flight and made it with lots of time to spare. You must be in first or second group off the ship and hand carry everything. Don’t get fancy and just grab a quick cab.

Welcome to cruise critic!

If you self disembark carrying your own bags and are in one of the first groups to do so, it SHOULD be fine barring any unforeseen issues (late arrival in port, not enough CBP staff, etc.). If this is Sunday, February 24th (the end of the school winter vacation week that includes President's Day and one of the busiest winter cruising weeks) you risk an even more crowded airport than usual with up to 7 or 8 ships disembarking. I think in that case I would look for a later flight.

Just above look for "search boards" and enter the exact title you made here. Make sure you click title not posts, you will find 41 other threads about this same topic, with hundreds of posts. Maybe you can find your information there.

While you could probably make the flight, a number of delays outwith your control & the cruise line could result in a missed flight.

Personally we prefer a more relaxed disembarkation and usually fly the following day. To make your flight you would need an expedited disembarkation, which means you take your own cases ashore.

Potential issues could be late arrival in port, immigration delays due to staff shortage or multiple other ships and whether the other ships are mega ships. While rare, we have also experienced delays to to malfunctioning shore gangways.