Is it even a thing anymore?

Ah yes, the “good old days”, but I happily gave up those buffets in exchange for today’s lower cruise fares (even after adjusting for inflation) and improved onboard entertainment and activities.

A trip down memory lane:

~ Judy

Thanks for posting. I love looking at these types of pictures as they illustrate the bygone days of cruising. Our last midnight Buffett with all the ice and fruit carvings was on the Liberty of the Seas back in 2007. I remember it being so crowded as everyone one went just to take pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I remember that they opened the doors early for Gala buffets strictly for picture taking. We were in awe of the ice and fruit carvings.

Royal Caribbean ships used to have great midnight buffets with ice carvings, butter carvings, animals fashioned from special breads, etc. Everyone went through the line first to take pictures, then they opened the dining room for eating. The last one I'm pretty sure of was our 50th anniversary cruise from Vancouver to Hawaii in 2003. By then we had learned we didn't need to eat at midnight but still went just to enjoy the visuals - the ice carvings especially were beautiful. I think I also remember that we paid over $3,000 for an inside cabin, so now we're happier with less expensive cruises, a balcony to enjoy, and no midnight buffet to tempt us.

Incidentally that was the year I was diagnosed with diabetes - after we booked the cruise. Now with 15 years experience, I handle eating without even thinking about it and never run into trouble, but this was a new experience and a little scary, and I remember how relieved I was to see the first night's menu with three sugar-free desserts. They were excellent (better than the regular desserts available now), and that made me feel better about the future.

Just a little off subject, while the cruises are less expensive now, I believe the excursion prices are at least three or four times as high and I think the special drink of the day was under $2.

Things have changed through the years - the cruise experience and our physical abilities - but I think cruising will always be our favorite recreation.

Margy

I remember that they opened the doors early for Gala buffets strictly for picture taking. We were in awe of the ice and fruit carvings.

You reminded me...that's the time when comedians used to ask: "What time is the midnight buffet?"....answer: 11:30pm, for picture taking.

The last one we can remember having a midnight buffet in the MDR was back in 2005, our cruise after Hurricane Katrina and Wilma, on the Mariner of the Seas, out of Port Canaveral. It was memorable because it was my in-laws first cruise...they at least got to experience it.:)

We had 1 midnight buffet, back in 2005, on our very 1st honeymoon cruise on the Voyager of the Seas in the MDR. My husband reminded me there was a chocolate buffet outside on the pool deck that week, too. That was the only cruise we ever experienced midnight buffets, but we still recall it because our assistant waiter on that sailing was from France, and he asked us if we could do him a huge favor and grab him a slice of foie gras and save it in our stateroom mini fridge, then deliver it to him at the buffet the next morning. We did, and he was forever grateful.

You reminded me...that's the time when comedians used to ask: "What time is the midnight buffet?"....answer: 11:30pm, for picture taking.

The last one we can remember having a midnight buffet in the MDR was back in 2005, our cruise after Hurricane Katrina and Wilma, on the Mariner of the Seas, out of Port Canaveral. It was memorable because it was my in-laws first cruise...they at least got to experience it.:)

And you reminded me: of a hilarious book about a first cruise. It’s called “What time is the Midnight Buffet”.

Author is chesterh and Amazon sells it.

We were all first time cruisers when we started, and back then there was no Cruise Critic to enlighten us.

Babes in the wood, we were!

Drats...those Princesses always get the good stuff...hurrmmmpphh...royalty!!. :o;)

And I save mine till I get home. A nice treat in remembrance of another great cruise!

And I save mine till I get home. A nice treat in remembrance of another great cruise!

We used to save the little nuts and cookies from the old gift baskets for our

trip home...but alas...they have gone the way of the chocolates on the pillows also with RCI. :(

Back in the 80's on HAL there was a midnight buffet every evening, and a "show" buffet on the last night - complete with figurines carved out of marzipan, intricate fruit carvings, ornate bread sculptures, and an endless supply of seafood, prime beef (the old "shipboard" carving type), and pastries everywhere. The last true midnight buffet for us was on Princess to Alaska in the early 90's out of San Francisco. On that cruise, there was even a full-blown buffet in the terminal before we boarded.

Don't forget the midnight Chocolate buffet on Holland!

Sent from my iPad using Forums