Is it even a thing anymore?

There used to be midnight buffets on board. Are those long gone now?

Last one I saw was in 2007. Some ships might have a BBQ on the pool deck on night, with one or two ice carvings, but even those are rare anymore.

The windjammer usually opens till 1am or was it 2am for most Asian cruises though the food feels more like leftover dinner food since its often similar items.

The last I had a buffet on the pool deck was maybe 4-5 years ago on Voyager.

37 years ago on Carnival they had a midnight buffet and then another late night buffet at 1.30 A.M.

Ah yes, the “good old days”, but I happily gave up those buffets in exchange for today’s lower cruise fares (even after adjusting for inflation) and improved onboard entertainment and activities.

A trip down memory lane:

[ATTACH]415431[/ATTACH][ATTACH]415432[/ATTACH][ATTACH]415433[/ATTACH][ATTACH]415434[/ATTACH]

~ Judy

Ah yes, the “good old days”, but I happily gave up those buffets in exchange for today’s lower cruise fares (even after adjusting for inflation) and improved onboard entertainment and activities.

A trip down memory lane:

~ Judy

I can't even begin to imagine a cruise like that. Must have been a blast.

We had a proper one on 2016 Brilliance TA, they did say it was a one off special thing though.

(Bob, you were onboard with us, have you forgotten:D:D) I see you haven't, posting at same time!

Julie

Edited by kernow
additional text

We had a proper one on 2016 Brilliance TA, they did say it was a one off special thing though.

(Bob, you were onboard with us, have you forgotten:D:D) I see you haven't, posting at same time!

Julie

I had forgotten until I saw the post in this thread. Patti was on that cruise and they took photos of us in the dining room.

On some of our past cruises there was a late night party at the pool and there was a buffet but that was only one night and there was a very limited amount of food. Usually if there is a promenade or a main street area on the ship there's at least one place open all night that serves food.

As far as I know, the ONLY midnight buffet left on ANY mass market cruise line is on Carnivals Journey cruises which are a throwback to the "good ol days". They do the midnight buffet, the Captains party with free drinks and appetizers, actual formal nights instead of "cruise elegant", horse races and other things that have been long gone.

The one and only true midnight buffet I ever experienced was on Carnival Inspiration in 2001. Since then we've attended midnight dessert bars or even a midnight nacho bar but nothing like the true blue midnight buffet...

Back in the 80's on HAL there was a midnight buffet every evening, and a "show" buffet on the last night - complete with figurines carved out of marzipan, intricate fruit carvings, ornate bread sculptures, and an endless supply of seafood, prime beef (the old "shipboard" carving type), and pastries everywhere. The last true midnight buffet for us was on Princess to Alaska in the early 90's out of San Francisco. On that cruise, there was even a full-blown buffet in the terminal before we boarded.

Last one I saw was in 2007. Some ships might have a BBQ on the pool deck on night, with one or two ice carvings, but even those are rare anymore.

Too add to that, the last one I saw, I forget the year, was announced as being on the pool deck, and the CD said, in the event of rain, it will be held in the WJ. It rained, at midnight I went to the WJ, locked up tight lights out.

Cruises back in the 80’s, 90’s, and early 2000’s had the midnight buffets. I have photos of one going back to September 1983 on the SS Norway when I met a single girl from Louisville, Kentucky. She was really nice and after all these years we are still friends. The midnight buffet was off the charts nice with seafood, steamship roasts, and a beautiful presentation of desserts. One last thing, on Royal Caribbean’s Song Of America sailings in May 1983 and May 1984 I remember besides the midnight buffet they passed around deli sandwiches in the disco at 1:30AM. Also remember the cash bar back in those days.

IMHO

Midnight buffets wasted too much food and energy on the part of the staff who had to cook and present the food as well as clean up in the early hours of the following day.

Princess offers late night food at the buffet area and when that closes, passengers can go to the International Cafe in the Piazza (atrium) which is open 24 hours. Not certain if Royal Caribbean offers something similar,perhaps the cafe at Central Park ?