Jan Swartz onboard Golden

seattleslew

I wish she would pay a visit to the Diamond Princess. It may encourage them to lift their game. From my time in the Navy we would be punished with shore leave cancelled, extra duties, mustering in a squad on the forecastle and standing at attention for long periods of time if our standards of maintenance and cleaning were not up to scratch. Perhaps I am being too harsh on my judgements based on my time in the Navy, but Diamond Princess is a ship that seriously needs someone high up to come on board with some good butt kicking shoes to sort out the crew from the Captain down.

What a shame she doesn't try to travel incognito on all the Princess fleet. I agree about the Diamond. It desperately needs to lift its game but so do some of the other ships in the Princess fleet. Those based in, or frequently visiting Australia are an embarrassment to both Princess and the cruise travel industry especially compared to the competition from cruise lines such as Celebrity and NCCl who attract a similar market.

I agree with the idea of some of the lead staff cruising incognito rather than just coming on board for a port day. They need to see and experience a cabin--preferably one with a problem or two, as well as getting a REAL feel for the ship, not a VIP inspection tour. I realize that a CEO can't cruise for a week on each ship each year....but someone from the top brass could do one ship each, and not stay in a lovely suite!

Sorry to hear about the Diamond. I have fond memories of sailing the Diamond in Alaska in 2011. I had a great cruise, though, on the Sun in 2016 from Sydney to New Zealand RT.

Perhaps continued mention of the Diamond will encourage Jan to check on it. (We are on a first name basis, right?) 😌

I agree with the idea of some of the lead staff cruising incognito rather than just coming on board for a port day. They need to see and experience a cabin--preferably one with a problem or two' date=' as well as getting a REAL feel for the ship, not a VIP inspection tour. I realize that a CEO can't cruise for a week on each ship each year....but someone from the top brass could do one ship each, and not stay in a lovely suite![/quote']

I'd be happy if Jan Swartz booked an average balcony cabin and didn't let the steward know who she was. I'd be super happy if she went to anytime dining and had the same the experiences as the rest of us. Same food, same luck of the drawer service. She could book a tour, experience a tender port (without priority disembark of course) and attend the new recorded safety drill lecture that goes on and on and on. Only then can she say she sailed on Princess.

I'd be happy if Jan Swartz booked an average balcony cabin and didn't let the steward know who she was. I'd be super happy if she went to anytime dining and had the same the experiences as the rest of us. Same food, same luck of the drawer service. She could book a tour, experience a tender port (without priority disembark of course) and attend the new recorded safety drill lecture that goes on and on and on. Only then can she say she sailed on Princess.

like button!

Back when Peter Ratcliffe was the big cheese, he and his family were on Grand for a new year's eve

cruise that I happened to be on.

They had his picture taped up at the pursers deck. so that everyone working would know to give

him extra good service.

I wish she would pay a visit to the Diamond Princess. It may encourage them to lift their game. From my time in the Navy we would be punished with shore leave cancelled, extra duties, mustering in a squad on the forecastle and standing at attention for long periods of time if our standards of maintenance and cleaning were not up to scratch. Perhaps I am being too harsh on my judgements based on my time in the Navy, but Diamond Princess is a ship that seriously needs someone high up to come on board with some good butt kicking shoes to sort out the crew from the Captain down.

I was thinking the same thing...on the Caribbean Princess. What's up, Princess??? You are spiraling downward, fast...

I would think a large company such as Princess would have a policy in place where upper management visits their ships during the year. Yes most people know who the CEO is; but they don't necessarily know some of the senior vp's or the head of corporate housekeeping who should be visiting different ships to check on hotel operations. You get feedback on cruisecritic and we talk to each other; but upper management are the ones with the power to make changes.

Back when Peter Ratcliffe was the big cheese, he and his family were on Grand for a new year's eve

cruise that I happened to be on.

They had his picture taped up at the pursers deck. so that everyone working would know to give

him extra good service.

On the one hand, that really stinks. On the other hand....we were doing a "specialty cruise" on another line. Our dining room supervisor mentioned to us that he had received a photo sheet of most traveled passengers and that we were right at the top. I'm sure my security photo was lovely. Still, that's a little different than posting high level execs where all can see them.

I worked for major retailers for most of my career - secret shoppers were the norm and very effective. I retired from a major cosmetic company as a Regional Sales Manager and although all the managers and staff knew who I was it always amazed me what my surprise visits uncovered.

I agree that the higher level customer experience execs should travel on the ships incognito especially if they want to keep building up their customer base. I am in my fifties and DH has just entered into his sixties - we hopefully have a good 20 years of cruising left in us - yet some issues we have experienced lately (MDR anytime is a big one) have caused us to start looking into other lines.

I would think a large company such as Princess would have a policy in place where upper management visits their ships during the year. Yes most people know who the CEO is; but they don't necessarily know some of the senior vp's or the head of corporate housekeeping who should be visiting different ships to check on hotel operations. You get feedback on cruisecritic and we talk to each other; but upper management are the ones with the power to make changes.

Great idea! You'd think they'd be smart enough to make this a policy. It makes you wonder if they want to know how the operations run day to day without advance notice of a "big-wig" visit.

Princess has thousands of "Secret Shoppers" who pay to do so. Too bad that Princess does not listen to them! It would be nice if she could enjoy the smokers on the aft decks of the Coral. Do you hear this, Jan?

We have encountered executives of another line during cruises on that line. I can't say what their purpose was, but it would certainly give them at least a partial view of what the general public experiences. For instance, we've been on board with a former cruise director who had been promoted to the shoreside head of all onboard entertainment, a CFO, and the president of the line. There were possibly others, but these I could recognize and name.

Probably our best encounter was that Roy Disney was on our first Panama Canal crossing in 2005. This was the nephew of Walt, not his brother. We did not speak to him as I took the approach that he deserved privacy on his vacation, but we saw him having photos taken and talking with passengers. I was totally impressed with his attitude. He was not staying in one of the top level suites! I mentioned this to our head server who told us that had been somewhat of an issue on board--the on board "powers that be" felt that they should bump the people who had booked the better suites, but Mr. Disney gave instructions that he was to have the highest level cabin that had not been previously booked by a paying guest and that no guest was to be inconvenienced by his presence! He tended to hang out in the same piano bar that I frequent during the evenings.....

Have been on b2b cruises where the crew knew for many days that some executive or executives from shore side was coming on board, whether it be from Princess or Carnival. Those that dined in Anytime dining had a reserved table, with flowers and wine at the table prior to them being seated. So much for surprising the crew!!

When I was in the corporate environment, we never told anyone about a surprise visit and used our "Secret Shoppers" on almost a daily basis.

Have been on b2b cruises where the crew knew for many days that some executive or executives from shore side was coming on board, whether it be from Princess or Carnival. Those that dined in Anytime dining had a reserved table, with flowers and wine at the table prior to them being seated. So much for surprising the crew!!

When I was in the corporate environment, we never told anyone about a surprise visit and used our "Secret Shoppers" on almost a daily basis.

This makes a whole lot more sense--the execs will never get a feel for what the typical passenger gets if they are on the VIP track. It is sad that the crew is informed in advance. I do understand the passport issue as well and that it might be impossible for a CEO to travel incognito. However, you don't have to go very far down the ladder to reach people with names and faces that are MUCH less recognized. A combination of those people cruising as well as "secret shoppers" should be very effective.

Heck, I'd do it. They could offer the "secret shopper" a small compensation for their time and reimbursement for the list of things they are supposed to do/try, in much the same way a secret shopper is sent to McDonald's and gets the cost of their meal and a small payment. The Princess list could include a detailed questionnaire (go to the library and evaluate the selections on the shelf and the cleanliness of the shelves--are they dusty? in good repair? Set up an internet account for X minutes. How long did it take you? Did you need help? Was the help efficient/friendly/etc? Phone the spa and book a massage on a sea day. How long were you on hold? Evaluate the person on the phone.....etc with details of the service, etc.) They truly wouldn't have to give a free cruise to accomplish this--just contact an "already booked" passenger who meets their demographic. On the other hand, they could use a service who would supply them with a secret shopper, in which case they could ask a lot more of the person!

This makes a whole lot more sense--the execs will never get a feel for what the typical passenger gets if they are on the VIP track. It is sad that the crew is informed in advance. I do understand the passport issue as well and that it might be impossible for a CEO to travel incognito. However' date=' you don't have to go very far down the ladder to reach people with names and faces that are MUCH less recognized. A combination of those people cruising as well as "secret shoppers" should be very effective.

Heck, I'd do it. They could offer the "secret shopper" a small compensation for their time and reimbursement for the list of things they are supposed to do/try, in much the same way a secret shopper is sent to McDonald's and gets the cost of their meal and a small payment. The Princess list could include a detailed questionnaire (go to the library and evaluate the selections on the shelf and the cleanliness of the shelves--are they dusty? in good repair? Set up an internet account for X minutes. How long did it take you? Did you need help? Was the help efficient/friendly/etc? Phone the spa and book a massage on a sea day. How long were you on hold? Evaluate the person on the phone.....etc with details of the service, etc.) They truly wouldn't have to give a free cruise to accomplish this--just contact an "already booked" passenger who meets their demographic. On the other hand, they could use a service who would supply them with a secret shopper, in which case they could ask a lot more of the person![/quote']

I want to be a secret cruiser!!:D:ship::D