Jan Swartz onboard Golden

seattleslew

The cruise lines do use "secret shoppers" frequently, but they are not employees of the cruise lines.

The cruise lines contract with companies that specialize in and provide training for "secret shoppers." .

I've been asked to be a "secret shopper" for a cruise, but I have never done that.

Being a "secret shopper" aboard a ship is different from having Princess management make an official visit to a ship, where all the employees know that an executive is on board. -- EBC

What a shame she doesn't try to travel incognito on all the Princess fleet. I agree about the Diamond. It desperately needs to lift its game but so do some of the other ships in the Princess fleet. Those based in, or frequently visiting Australia are an embarrassment to both Princess and the cruise travel industry especially compared to the competition from cruise lines such as Celebrity and NCCl who attract a similar market.

I agree with the idea of some of the lead staff cruising incognito rather than just coming on board for a port day. They need to see and experience a cabin--preferably one with a problem or two' date=' as well as getting a REAL feel for the ship, not a VIP inspection tour. I realize that a CEO can't cruise for a week on each ship each year....but someone from the top brass could do one ship each, and not stay in a lovely suite![/quote']

How do y'all know that she (or other company big shots) don't cruise incognito? While a few of the bigwigs of the company might be known by name by some of the ships' officers may recognize some of them, like Mrs. Swartz, I would suspect that those are in the majority.

Tom

well, EBC - what was the deal that was offered to you since you have first hand experience at being selected to be a secret cruiser?

Also interested. Additionally wondering why you turned it down

Also interested. Additionally wondering why you turned it down

Thrak and Voljeep,

If you google "Mystery shopping companies", you will get a list of about 50 companies that hire secret shoppers as independent contractors. You can sign up for shopping assignments with those companies - no charge for signing up. After you sign up, you will start receiving job offers for secret shopping assignments, via e-mail.

I was signed up with about 20 of those companies. ( I'm sorry that I cannot remember the name of the company that sent me the offer). When they sent it to me, we were in the middle of moving from southern Calif. to northern Calif., so it was a very inconvenient time to go out of town.

After we finished moving to northern Calif., I got a full-time job, so I un-subscribed from most of the secret shopping companies, including the couple of them that had contracts with the cruise lines.

When they offer you a secret shopping cruise, you have to go on the date, cruise line, and itinerary on which they schedule you. They pay the cruise fare, and you pay for your own airfare. They will e-mail you about 50-75 pages of forms to complete, plus narratives to write on all aspects of the passenger experience.

It doesn't cost anything to sign up for mystery shopping jobs, and if you have a little extra spare time and can go cruising on short notice, it would probably be very worthwhile. ( But, the secret shopper does not get to choose the cruise line or the itinerary). - EBC

How do y'all know that she (or other company big shots) don't cruise incognito? While a few of the bigwigs of the company might be known by name by some of the ships' officers may recognize some of them, like Mrs. Swartz, I would suspect that those are in the majority.

A year or two ago, after club class dining started, Stein Krauss was on Ruby for a holiday cruise.

I knew a waiter in club class ... they didn't really know who Stein Krauss was, but they knew he

was coming, and they KNEW it was important.

Lots of special attention from the F&B manager, Maitre d', etc.

I'd be happy if Jan Swartz booked an average balcony cabin and didn't let the steward know who she was. I'd be super happy if she went to anytime dining and had the same the experiences as the rest of us. Same food, same luck of the drawer service. She could book a tour, experience a tender port (without priority disembark of course) and attend the new recorded safety drill lecture that goes on and on and on. Only then can she say she sailed on Princess.

Totally agree!!!

A year or two ago, after club class dining started, Stein Krauss was on Ruby for a holiday cruise.

I knew a waiter in club class ... they didn't really know who Stein Krauss was, but they knew he

was coming, and they KNEW it was important.

Lots of special attention from the F&B manager, Maitre d', etc.

I'm with the waiter. Who is Stein Krauss? I've googled, but no obvious result.

It is spelled Kruse. Try again he pops right up.

He can hardly be blamed for using the name that was in the post above... I would have had the same issue.

Keith, looks like you will need to update your signature. :)

EBC-

just curious, when you received the secret cruiser offer was that for only one person or were you allowed a second person to go with you?

You are allowed to bring a guest along, but (unfortunately), the guest is required to pay the regular cruise fare. I love to cruise, and I would have accepted the offer from the secret shopper company, but we were in the middle of packing up and selling our home. Otherwise, it's a great offer, and if you don't mind filling out the detailed survey, it is a great way to have a very low cost vacation. -- EBC

I should also add that I think it is a terrible shame that they are working hard to make the ship and service perfect for her visit. All that tells me is that they do not care about us the passenger as they are not putting in 100% effort the entire time. The amount of effort described for a corporate VIP visit to the ship should be the exact same level that they treat each and every passenger who pays money to go on a holiday on their ships. Without us their cruise line would not exist.

I should also add that I think it is a terrible shame that they are working hard to make the ship and service perfect for her visit. All that tells me is that they do not care about us the passenger as they are not putting in 100% effort the entire time. The amount of effort described for a corporate VIP visit to the ship should be the exact same level that they treat each and every passenger who pays money to go on a holiday on their ships. Without us their cruise line would not exist.

Well said.

I bet her shower will have good water pressure Brisbane41.;)

What a shame she doesn't try to travel incognito on all the Princess fleet. I agree about the Diamond. It desperately needs to lift its game but so do some of the other ships in the Princess fleet. Those based in, or frequently visiting Australia are an embarrassment to both Princess and the cruise travel industry especially compared to the competition from cruise lines such as Celebrity and NCCl who attract a similar market.

Who's to say they don't already do that?

I'll bet she won't have to wait 20 minutes between courses in the DR for her food. :rolleyes:

I bet her shower will have good water pressure Brisbane41.;)

Wait, water pressure? Do you mean that there is such a thing on a Princess ship? And not all the showers turn from warm to freezing in an instant during use????

But it sounds like she's just boarding for a day while the ship is in Juneau....that's hardly the full experience.

Care about the passenger? Really!!!!???? Have you not been in the corporate world? I mean, I cruise often and I feel that the crews on the whole, do a bang up job and am pleased with the service I receive. But please be real. If you had the number one corporate boss coming for a visit, wouldn't you just put in that extra effort to have everything done well? That is just common sense. You are just too sensitive!

Pooh

Care about the passenger? Really!!!!???? Have you not been in the corporate world? I mean, I cruise often and I feel that the crews on the whole, do a bang up job and am pleased with the service I receive. But please be real. If you had the number one corporate boss coming for a visit, wouldn't you just put in that extra effort to have everything done well? That is just common sense. You are just too sensitive!

Pooh

I think that is absolutely ridiculous to think that way. If they cannot deliver top notch service to the average passenger then they have no chance of delivering it to a corporate.

I can tell you have never served in any branch of the military where standards are expected to be uniform all the time. You see in the Navy for example when cleaning the ship for rounds it is to be cleaned as if an Admiral is doing an inspection and cleaned to that level the entire time. If you put on extra special services or put in more effort for a leader then it means you are simply not trying hard enough.

In the corporate world I would imagine that is a very poor turnout for shareholders as it means they are not getting their moneys worth with crew slacking off when they could be putting in top effort the entire time.

You are just too weak and not tough enough when it comes to demanding the best of the best.