Keeping valuables safe at beach

klb1978

It may be pricey but Pacsafe actually has a locking wire bag and bags/back packs of varying sizes that can’t be cut into due to a metal mesh system. They are light bags. The straps are also anti slash. We bought them for our Europe travels and have used them many times since. They make sling bags, purses, back packs, etc. They would have to steal the whole chair you lock it onto. It has an anti theft lock but you could also use your own. We don’t take much to the beach but because you do you may feel better making the investment. We also have Travelon back packs which cost less but have almost but not quite, similar features.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I see many posting that they only take their credit card, cash, and sea pass card.

What about your photo ID? Many ports insist you present that to get back on board, along with your seapass card.

I prefer a photo ID in the form of a passport card. Slips just as easily in my pocket as the credit card, cash, and sea pass card. Which is all I take in most ports.

All that Kyss bag will do is give you a false sense of security allowing you to be distracted and not even noticing that someone cut the cable or the bag. I would rather invest in a water proof case such as otter box for my phone. Everything else can get wet. I usually take some ziplock bags from home for my money and cards. I have a swimsuit with a built in water tight pocket that I put that stuff in. There is no reason to be taking an iPad or kindle to the beach if you know that you are going to be in the water most of the day. The only thing that Kyss bag is good for is to hog a lounge chair on board the ship. You can probably chain two lounges together with one bag.

I disagree. I think most beach theft is theft of convenience. Walk by and casually pick up an unattended bag. With so many to choose from, they will not risk getting caught over a secured bag.

I disagree with "no reason to to be taking an iPad or kindle to the beach". Me and my wife are readers so while spend time in ocean, we also like to lay in the loungers and do some reading. I also like to bring along my DSLR to take photographs. I use my samsung phone to take snapshots, but use the DSLR to take more professional looking photos.

What we do, is informal tag team. While she is sunning, I will get into water, run up to get a drink etc. Then when I am reading, she will go into the water.

Depending on the beach, we just cover up our electronic valuables. We only bring one or two credit and some cash, they go into the water with us if we are going in at the same time. The cards will dry, and the bartenders are not bothered with wet money (although I don't buy a drink right after getting out of the ocean, so it dry some).

All that Kyss bag will do is give you a false sense of security allowing you to be distracted and not even noticing that someone cut the cable or the bag. I would rather invest in a water proof case such as otter box for my phone. Everything else can get wet. I usually take some ziplock bags from home for my money and cards. I have a swimsuit with a built in water tight pocket that I put that stuff in. There is no reason to be taking an iPad or kindle to the beach if you know that you are going to be in the water most of the day. The only thing that Kyss bag is good for is to hog a lounge chair on board the ship. You can probably chain two lounges together with one bag.

I had a waterproof pouch with my phone and seapass. But I took the "SafeGo" portable vault. When we were in Jamaica there was a wooden table built into the ground that I locked it to. No one even went near it. And if they did, it's solid plastic and the strap has a metal cable inside...so not something that is easily cut. There's also a combination as well as key. Also, our driver (Martin Lamey Tours) was awesome and stayed with us. He carried our backpack, offered to carry the safego, took pictures of us and made sure no one got over on us. Got Jamaican resident prices on admissions and goodies.

Anyway, here's the link to SafeGo on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017RR15YI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If anyone needs the driver info just let me know.

51rjQw2VG4L._SX522_.jpg

When we go to a beach we snorkel so we want to be together and will not be looking toward the shore. We only take DL, seapass, credit card and a little cash which goes into a water wallet tucked into the top of my suit. We have a waterproof camera that goes with us. The only thing we leave unattended are towels, cover ups and water shoes. I just don't want to take a chance on having something disappear that I value. Even if it never happens to anyone I don't want to be the one person it does happen to.

I was going to put a luggage lock on my backpack and hook it to something with a bike chain. I decided not to bring it, but I'm sure it would've worked. Just make sure you don't lock it to something that can be taken apart like a wooden picnic table. The only beach we went to was Maegen's Bay in St. Thomas and lifeguard said it was a safe beach, but if worried we could leave it with him. If I went somewhere else I would be sure to bring the locks. The waterproof pouches work great, but I have a big camera.

I was going to put a luggage lock on my backpack and hook it to something with a bike chain. I decided not to bring it, but I'm sure it would've worked. Just make sure you don't lock it to something that can be taken apart like a wooden picnic table. The only beach we went to was Maegen's Bay in St. Thomas and lifeguard said it was a safe beach, but if worried we could leave it with him. If I went somewhere else I would be sure to bring the locks. The waterproof pouches work great, but I have a big camera.

The last time I was at Megan's bay which was around 2009, the bus driver said, "You may be in paradise but it's not heaven so keep a close watch on your valuables". I was a bit surprised by that remark.

We have waterproof cases for both of our phones, which we use as cameras, so they will have to go snorkeling with us. I bought additional waterproof bags for cash/cards/documents, and a fanny pac/shoulder bag that will hold all of the above. Nothing to be left on the beach but a towel, sandals, and a dry shirt or two.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

We have waterproof cases for both of our phones, which we use as cameras, so they will have to go snorkeling with us. I bought additional waterproof bags for cash/cards/documents, and a fanny pac/shoulder bag that will hold all of the above. Nothing to be left on the beach but a towel, sandals, and a dry shirt or two.

I forgot to add that I plan on wearing the FannyPac in the water. I bought it because it should fare well in the water and dry reasonably quickly. I could not find a waterproof one that would fit my needs, but everything inside of it will be protected by waterproof bags.

• 2 weeks later...

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

What waterproof cases do you use? I’ve looked at a few but they make me nervous as I don’t want my iPhone ruined :loudcry:

What waterproof cases do you use? I’ve looked at a few but they make me nervous as I don’t want my iPhone ruined :loudcry:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0175ZJJY0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I found this $15 case to be extremely watertight. I tested it with dry tissue paper in it and sunk it and weighted it down overnight in a pot of water, then I brought it down 12+ feet in Lake George several times and took video of schools of fish. It is a bit fidgety to control the touchscreen phone while under water, but do-able after some practice. It is also quite buoyant even with a heavy phone in it. Amazon has some much simpler and cheaper cases that we will use for Docs, cards and folding money.

We just take seapass cards, maybe a credit card and enough cash for a taxi (Cozumel) and tip, and tip at Labadee. We have a waterproof camera that I wear on my wrist (it has a floating strap). We also have water wallets (purchased in the fishing department at REI) that we use. One goes in a Velcro pocket on DH’s swimsuit; I usually wear mine on a lanyard. We also carry a beach bag—for towels and sunscreen.

I used to bring a Kindle, but I ended up never reading, so no longer...

Sent from my iPad using Forums