Room mate no show procedure

bighairtexan

Let me see if I have this right.

My BFF is supposed to meet me in Miami this weekend for the 9/3 cruise on the Equinox. I'm flying out from DFW and she from LAX. We do a cruise together once every couple of years to "catch up."

We each have insured our own portions of the trip separately since we're just friends rather than relations and have different addresses and different costs based on our ages.

She is very suddenly having a serious health problem and isn't sure if she will be cleared for travel pending results of an MRI on Thursday.

I plan on going on the cruise.

SOOO if I go and she's a no show, this shouldn't impact either my ability to sail OR cost me anything, correct? She'll go against the insurance for any reimbursements but that's up to her, correct? We got our insurance through the trip insurance store.

Is there anything I should be doing (besides prayer and positive thoughts for her health I mean)? I'm not sure I want to call our insurance over something that MIGHT or might not happen as I don't want to red flag anything prematurely.

You have nothing to worry about. A few years ago the gal I was rooming with had to cancel at the very last minute due to a health issue. She had insurance to cover the cancellation. The day before the cruise our travel agent called Celebrity and cancelled her from the booking. Celebrity refunded the port taxes and fees to her credit card and she filed a claim with her insurance company. This did not impact my sailing at all --- I showed up at the pier the next day and checked in and boarded the ship. So, I would suggest that if she does, indeed, have to cancel you have your travel agent call and cancel her from the booking the day before the cruise. Celebrity doesn't care one way or another if she sails or not -- they already have her money and won't be refunding her anything but the port fees/taxes.

All that said, I hope your friend is healthy and will be able to travel with you.

You are in the 100% penalty phase for cancellations. That means that if your friend has to cancel, she will get her taxes refunded from the cruise line, and she'll be reimbursed for the rest of her cruise fare after she files a claim with the insurance company. You won't have to pay a single supplement.

I hope your friend won't have to cancel. However, if she does - I'm sure the Trip Insurance Store will provide helpful info for filing an insurance claim.

You are in the 100% penalty phase for cancellations. That means that if your friend has to cancel, she will get her taxes refunded from the cruise line, and she'll be reimbursed for the rest of her cruise fare after she files a claim with the insurance company. You won't have to pay a single supplement.

I hope your friend won't have to cancel. However, if she does - I'm sure the Trip Insurance Store will provide helpful info for filing an insurance claim.

I'm not sure if the cruise line will refund the taxes if she is just a "no show". To be on the safe side, on the day before the cruise I would be sure to call Celebrity and cancel her from the booking.

Thanks for all your good advice and well wishes. She's an absolutely wonderful human being and I'm hoping (cruise aside) that this is just a small speed bump. Of course the cruise is just a blip on her radar in the grand scheme of things (ascending numbness and tingling started in her feet on Saturday and now it's her lower legs, both sides, and of course we're both scared).

I shall pass on your words and suggestions, and mostly I'll keep out of it rather than make things more confused. I tend to be a bit of a control freak and want to "fix things".

I just want to "fix" the cruise situation, "fix" the insurance situation, and most of all "fix" her health situation. I need to realize some things are beyond my fixing them. I think 11 days chilling in the Equinox Royal Suite would take her mind off things IF she's cleared for travel. As for me? If we don't even get off the ship I don't give a rip. It was more about "hanging w/ my home girl". (A 70 year old home 'girl'). LOL

Taking a deep breath and stepping back is HARD people!

I do hope your friend can make it. From a prior experience I want to say that what the other posters have said it is very important that if your friend is not going to sail she needs to cancel in writing with her TA or Celebrity direct depending how she booked. This is important to the insurance company and will initiate refund of any refundable port fees, taxes and any prepaid reservations.

There is no "procedure"....when you board, you can tell them or not....hence the "no show" status....they simply don't show up!

But remember the insurance company has their requirements. Mine states that you must inform the travel provider in writing of your cancellation. I don't have "now show" insurance, just cancellation insurance.

Royce, I will pass this info on to her in the event that she can't make it. I'm an RN and worked for a while on a neurology/neurosurgery floor and all my possible scenarios are NOT GOOD. Not just for the cruise, which is certainly not the main concern, but for my friend's health. (maybe this is a case of a little bit of knowledge being not such a great thing??) She just got over a sore throat so I'm worried about Guillian-Barre'. Maybe too much doom and gloom though.

She's a very experienced cruiser and traveler (married to a lawyer) so I'm pretty sure she and her DH will be doing their due diligence. She's never HAD to use her travel insurance before but there's always a FIRST TIME.

My other concern. We have to be 100000% sure if SHE cancels, that the entire reservation isn't cancelled b/c I'll go, one way or the other. I really don't want to show up at the pier to be told that the entire reservation was cancelled. I'm very good at "WORST CASE SCENARIOS" as y'all can see! LOL This was done through a TA, btw. Large cruise booking TA. So I'm sure this isn't the first time they've had to deal with this.

I shall pass on all pertinent info should the probability become a certainty.

Again much appreciate the input!

EDITED TO ADD: Yes I suppose this is really 2 separate but connected issues.

1) what she has to do to be within the requirements of her insurance (she'll have to pursue this)

2) what I need to do IF ANYTHING, to make sure I can still cruise, solo if need be.

1. She has to call the travel agent and let them know that she is not going to be able to cruise. She probably should also email the travel agent just so there is a record that she cancelled in case she needs it to start her insurance claim. The travel agent will contact Celebrity.

2. You don't have to do anything. You will be able to cruise - no problem ----- UNLESS, of course, your TA is a complete and utter idiot and cancels the whole reservation with Celebrity (which I cannot believe would ever happen!!)

Now, just try to relax.

I most sincerely hope your friend is ***REALLY*** ok, if she does make the trip. As bad + miserable as ill health is 'on land' ~~~~ its 10000% worse on a ship. My very best vibes and good thoughts to you both.

Note: traveling in a cabin as solo costs twice, so if she is refunded, you must pay twice. But I doubt it. You will be probably on the lucky side: healthy and either with her, or as solo with half of fare. She probably will be refunded by insurance (worst case) or shw will cruise with you (ideal).

If you book the room as a solo, yes, you pay double.

But that isn't what's happening here. The room was booked by two people. The cruise line will be paid by the insurance company. The remaining passenger will not be charged for the unused reservation.

Even if there had been no insurance, the remaining passenger would not be charged for the unused reservation. The passenger who cancelled would be paying their way, just not able to go on the cruise.

That's the point of insurance. The cruise line gets their money for the unused space and it doesn't come out of the passenger's pocket.

Let me see if I have this right.

My BFF is supposed to meet me in Miami this weekend for the 9/3 cruise on the Equinox. I'm flying out from DFW and she from LAX. We do a cruise together once every couple of years to "catch up."

We each have insured our own portions of the trip separately since we're just friends rather than relations and have different addresses and different costs based on our ages.

She is very suddenly having a serious health problem and isn't sure if she will be cleared for travel pending results of an MRI on Thursday.

I plan on going on the cruise.

SOOO if I go and she's a no show, this shouldn't impact either my ability to sail OR cost me anything, correct? She'll go against the insurance for any reimbursements but that's up to her, correct? We got our insurance through the trip insurance store.

Is there anything I should be doing (besides prayer and positive thoughts for her health I mean)? I'm not sure I want to call our insurance over something that MIGHT or might not happen as I don't want to red flag anything prematurely.

No problem for you. The cruise has been fully paid for so your travel mate will have to make claim with her insurance carrier to recoup her lost costs. Enjoy your cruise and make some new friends.

Sharon I hope your BFF can do the cruise. And that all is well. Depending on the severity of the patient in certain occasions several doctors recommend going on vacation.

My recommendation is that if she is not authorize to travel, cancel clarifying that only BFF is canceling and Sharon will cruise, and immediately after the cancellation is done check your Celebrity to verify that you are on board.

HIHILO gosh yes you're right. As bad as cancelling would be, cruising with something like ascending numbness of legs... obviously SOMETHING neurological.... is 1000 times worse. She could wind up in some little Caribbean island needing to be on a respirator or something. That's definitely a concern of mine if she WERE cleared for travel (I'm thinking she won't be).

CIRDAN yes on the suite being charged for 2. Since we'ere WAY after final payment, Judy has already paid her fare. She has her charges on her credit card where Celebrity billed her months ago. So Celebrity has that money and that won't change. (I don't think)

What should change (assuming I have this CORRECT) is in the days/weeks to come she and insurance will hammer it out to get her reimbursed for flights, hotel, independent excursions and cruise fare. Celebrity probably won't even need to be involved. AFAIK they HAVE their money. She will just provide her invoices to the insurance company along with necessary medical records. But that will be up to her and her DH to muddle through (he's an attorney so she's in good hands).

GERARDO I will definitely be checking my reservation repeatedly should Judy have to cancel. And I will ask her to Make SURE she lets the TA know that ONLY SHE is cancelling. Not both of us.

Again thanks ALL for your concern and advice. Fingers crossed this is NOT going to be an issue.

If you book the room as a solo, yes, you pay double.

But that isn't what's happening here. The room was booked by two people. The cruise line will be paid by the insurance company. The remaining passenger will not be charged for the unused reservation.

Even if there had been no insurance, the remaining passenger would not be charged for the unused reservation. The passenger who cancelled would be paying their way, just not able to go on the cruise.

That's the point of insurance. The cruise line gets their money for the unused space and it doesn't come out of the passenger's pocket.

The OP will be fine because the cruise is next week. However, sometimes the remaining cruiser has to pay a single supplement - depending on the date of cancellation - relative to the departure date.

I sailed solo twice - after my sister cancelled last minute for covered reasons. The first time it was a week before the cruise, so we were in the 100% penalty phase. I informed the travel agent that my sister was cancelling, and my sister had to file the insurance claim. The second time my sister cancelled was 3 weeks before the cruise. We were NOT in the 100% penalty phase, so not only was I charged the single supplement - but I also lost the senior discount, as it was my sister who qualified! My single fare was higher than the fare had been for both of us, because it was based on the current price for a single cruiser at the time of the cancellation. I had to file the insurance claim, and then I reimbursed my sister once I got my money from the insurance company. Needless to say - I haven't invited my sister on another cruise! ;)

We are inside of 100% penalty because the cruise leaves on Monday. But Celebrity HAS all the money for the cabin. They were paid by us, and our respective credit cards were charged in full months ago. So for Celebrity to try and add a single supplement would mean they were getting paid for an extra person. Judy. Me. Single supplement.

But as mentioned above by NANCY, we're well inside final payment so Celebrity has all the money they charged for the sailing. They'll just have one less mouth to feed. I don't know if they'll reimburse her for the port charges and honestly she and I don't even care about that. We pay for super duper insurance and don't cheap out on that. (we go thru the same insurer but pay for separate policies).

I believe I"m correct that Celebrity will NOT be refunding her a penny (hence 'final payment'). It comes out of the insurance company pockets. So Celebrity will have payment for me. Payment for her which they'll keep. That won't change. The only thing that will change is that there will only be one head in a bed in that suite instead of the 2 heads that we paid for.

Any reimbursement she gets is from the insurance company (not Celebrity) unless I'm mistaken. Hitting me w/ a single supplement would be essentially payment for THREE passengers which doesn't make sense. But HEY I've had things that make LESS sense happen, as we all have.

As an update, things have gone from bad to worse. I phoned her this morning. Her numbness has now ascended to her groin area. Saturday it was just feet, yesterday it was lower legs, now it's her entire legs. She did say she'd be happier knowing I didn't cancel my cruise. I'm still on the fence but leaning toward going.

PS: CHARLES thanks for your good wishes. That is exactly my hope. In fact she even asked "Can we do this together NEXT YEAR?" Dang skippy! :D

You know sometimes Cruise Critic can be snarky and contentious (as can anything involving human beings). Things like this when people offer such good information and rally around with well wishes... this is an example of CC at its best. Just sayin'.

Sharon, I am wishing your friend the very best. I am cruising on the Solstice with 3 of may girlfriends next month. I`m sure you and your friend have been looking forward to this cruise for a long time. So Sorry.

Is there any chance another friend or family member could take her place and go with you ?