Sold out cruise

trbarton

If a cruise is sold out do you have to keep checking to see if there is any space or if you contact Princess will they keep your name on a list Incase their is a cancellation?

Tom🤔

Princess offer a “wait list”

When booking a cabin category:

a) GTY status -- you cannot book a specific cabin, but your are guaranteed to have one assigned

b) wait list status -- even a GTY is not available. You will be put on a wait list

c) Sold out -- the wait list for that cabin category is full, no more people will be added

So, if the wait list option is there, get on it. You will have to put a deposit down which will be refunded if you do not get a cabin assigned and thus cannot take the cruise

But, also, check the Princess web site daily, even more often. When someone cancels a booking the process to assign it to the next person on the wait list does not appear to occur automatically. Thus the cabin can appear available on the Princess web site. If you see a cabin available, reserve it immediately. If you have already put a deposit down to be on the wait list, call to have it applied to the cabin you found to be available.

Don't expect any bargain in pricing in such a situation.

Thanks to everyone. I’ve contacted my T/A to see if there is anything they can do. All of the categories are listed as “Sold Out” so perhaps a agent has things that they can do. Doesn’t hurt to try.

Tom😎

Thanks to everyone. I’ve contacted my T/A to see if there is anything they can do. All of the categories are listed as “Sold Out” so perhaps a agent has things that they can do. Doesn’t hurt to try.

Tom[emoji41]

I have been on a wait list for a sold out cruise before, don’t lose hope. However, Just because you are on a wait list don’t assume they will contact you.

Keep calling.

After final payment rooms become available. If you are already past final payment ask where you are on the wait list and call regularly.

You are correct, it doesn’t hurt to try!

Good luck!!

Oh, and follow Caribill’s advice! He’s right on!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Princess will offer movr overs if a cruise is oversold and not enough people cancel within a certain timeframe ... they don't do then just to accommodate a new booking, except perhaps for Oprah or the Queen of England.

If a ship shows as sold out after they are in the final payment period, it is likely truly sold out. As others have said, you can ask to be put on a Wait List. But if it is showing sold out Prior to the Final Payment Period it may actually not even be close to sold out. If there are one or more large groups, or if one or more travel consortiums or high volume cruise agencies have blocked out space, it takes cabins out of inventory even thought many of those cabins may not have been sold. Depending on the contractual agreements, at some point (usually around the Final Payment due Date) those unsold cabins will get released back into available inventory to be offered to those on a Waiting List or anyone else. In this situation we will check at least twice weekly (usually on Tuesday and Friday nights) once it is within about 90 days of the cruise date.

Hank

I doubt a move over to obtain a cabin for someone only on a waitlist, not GTY

To the OP, Tom - when is the cruise , or did I miss that ?:confused:

October 8th on the Grand out of San Francisco, 7 days, “Pacific Northwest Coast”.

I just called Princess & the wait list is closed. No harm to ask.

Tom🤔

Edited by trbarton

Our Sept 23 Grand cruise has been sold out for over a year, some (inside) cabins did become available about 8 months ago, at 3 times the fare we paid for a suite when the cruise was first offered and were snatched up overnight.

It's a new itinerary, possibly explaining the sold out status and the dramatic bump in prices. The fares same itinerary in 2019 are a bit higher than normal, not as high as Alaska, but not as cheap as Mexico.

From what I'm understanding, there was/is a waiting list of 400+ for this sailing. Don't know how many have made it off the list and to the ship. Our roll call has been extremely quite. I've never seen a cruise leaving from SFO sell out this quickly, command these prices and not have rooms available after final payment.

Either way, we are going to enjoy our greatly needed vacation!

October 8th on the Grand out of San Francisco, 7 days, “Pacific Northwest Coast”.

I just called Princess & the wait list is closed. No harm to ask.

Tom🤔

That's the same itinerary we're taking on Sept 23. The Oct sailing sold slower, but started with much higher pricing than Sept. It still sold out pretty darn quick though.

They are offering it twice in 2019, Oct 13, and 20. They've also opened up March 29, 2020. So if you absolutely want to do this itinerary, it's available later.

We jumped on the Sept sailing almost as soon as it was available. A change in scenery from the normal 7 day coastal or the 10 day Mexican, which we've done numerous times. We are normally late bookers, after final payment, taking advantage of the price drops. Our last 10 day Mexican for hubs and I was only 1200, including tips and port fees for an obstructed. We couldn't have stayed at motel 6 and eaten at McDees for that price!

Either way, I'm happy to be on the ship!

Our Sept 23 Grand cruise has been sold out for over a year, some (inside) cabins did become available about 8 months ago, at 3 times the fare we paid for a suite when the cruise was first offered and were snatched up overnight.

It's a new itinerary, possibly explaining the sold out status and the dramatic bump in prices. The fares same itinerary in 2019 are a bit higher than normal, not as high as Alaska, but not as cheap as Mexico.

From what I'm understanding, there was/is a waiting list of 400+ for this sailing. Don't know how many have made it off the list and to the ship. Our roll call has been extremely quite. I've never seen a cruise leaving from SFO sell out this quickly, command these prices and not have rooms available after final payment.

Either way, we are going to enjoy our greatly needed vacation!

When a short (i.e. 7 day) cruise sells out far in advance it raises our personal alarm bells. Why? Because it sometimes (not always) means that the cruise will have a large group (or several large group) on the voyage. DW and I have a personal preference to avoid any cruise with large groups. The problem is that the Cruise Lines will usually not divulge any information about groups...since they claim it is their obligation to protect privacy. Of course many groups do advertise on the internet (such as the Smooth Jazz Cruise, some gay cruises, nude cruises, etc) so apparently the groups could care less about privacy. The truth is that the cruise lines prefer to keep other passengers in the dark...since many will not book large group cruises. We have no idea if that is an issue on the 9/23 voyage of if everyone in the Bay area decided its a great time to leave CA :).

Hank

Tom��

"Just saw your update about the waitlist being closed".

Don't count on catching a cabin popping up on the website.

You would have to waitlist for a $200 refundable deposit.

You have the choice to accept or not and still get your money back.

You can waitlist for multiple cabin categories.

We have waitlisted a few cruises. It works well. When we cleared, some we accepted some we refused.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Its actually Oct 7th. ;)

Whew, this thread had me worried (not really). We had booked this cruise when it was sold as a 7 day California Coastal cruise. Then it switched the itinerary to the NW Coastal. Immediately, the price jumped up, but we maintained the original pricing, so we were happy.

Glad to know that it was not changed to an October 8th date! :o:D:D