Room change when you go from 2 to 3

bearette

We booked and held 2 rooms back in January for this December and are about to make final payment but my cousin has to cancel. They ( not my room, but mom, uncle and cousin) booked free cancel so they can cancel him with no penalty, but now they want to move their aft balcony for three from next to us to a room for two people somewhere else. On line there are no balconies so now we don’t know where they will end up. What recourse- if any- do we have to keep their balcony? My room has my husband, myself and two kids ( booked under kids sail free) and we booked under no cancel. This is on the Vision of the seas.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They don’t want to move rooms- they are canceling the 3rd person - before final payment. They (the cruise line) are trying to move them into an inside or ocean view or make them pay his fair to keep the balcony- no more balconies are left. They want them to change because they no longer have three people,but will have two people.

They don’t want to move rooms- they are canceling the 3rd person - before final payment. They (the cruise line) are trying to move them into an inside or ocean view or make them pay his fair to keep the balcony- no more balconies are left. They want them to change because they no longer have three people,but will have two people.

And Royal has moved people from a 3/4 passenger cabin with only 2 to a 2 passenger in different Cat before. Not new. Best to keep as is, maybe cancel one later, no show or change later if prices drop

We booked and held 2 rooms back in January for this December and are about to make final payment but my cousin has to cancel. They ( not my room, but mom, uncle and cousin) booked free cancel so they can cancel him with no penalty, but now they want to move their aft balcony for three from next to us to a room for two people somewhere else. On line there are no balconies so now we don’t know where they will end up. What recourse- if any- do we have to keep their balcony? My room has my husband, myself and two kids ( booked under kids sail free) and we booked under no cancel. This is on the Vision of the seas.

Thanks

Tell me if I have this right.

You have two cabins.

One has 3 passengers booked in it, one has 4. Total of 7 cruisers.

The one with 3 is about to lose 1. Total of 6 cruisers.

Easiest solution: Move one of your kids onto the other reservation. THEN cancel the cousin who can't go.

No one will care where the child actually sleeps in December.

Tell me if I have this right.

You have two cabins.

One has 3 passengers booked in it, one has 4. Total of 7 cruisers.

The one with 3 is about to lose 1. Total of 6 cruisers.

Easiest solution: Move one of your kids onto the other reservation. THEN cancel the cousin who can't go.

No one will care where the child actually sleeps in December.

OP’s children were booked under kids sail free. Presumably the third passenger in the the other stateroom was not. So, leaving third passenger as no show would cost same as moving that child onto other reservation. And if second family had to cancel entirely later for some reason, OP would regret having moved kiddo.

As others suggested, perhaps cancel third later or just no-show. What was the third passenger’s fare (without taxes and fees)?

If they want to keep their balcony cabin then the only way to do that is to have the cousin be a no show at the pier. The only money that they will get back is his taxes and fees.

If you have another family member that would like to go instead of your cousin then name changes can be done up to 24 hours prior to sailing.

Couldn't you switch two adults between the cabins so cousin, one parent and two kids are in the four person cabin then cancel the cousin? Or the other cruisers decide whether it is worth it to pay his fare and keep their cabin. I would do the latter as it gives you some flexibility.

Couldn't you switch two adults between the cabins so cousin, one parent and two kids are in the four person cabin then cancel the cousin? Or the other cruisers decide whether it is worth it to pay his fare and keep their cabin. I would do the latter as it gives you some flexibility.

That would then mean one of the kids would be repriced to an adult. The kids are currently booked under kids sail free

Just change the 3rd person that they want to cancel to a fake child so it reprices at KSF. Then it will be just the taxes you have to pay upfront. When at the terminal the 3rd pax(child )will be a no show and you will get the tax refunded.

Just change the 3rd person that they want to cancel to a fake child so it reprices at KSF. Then it will be just the taxes you have to pay upfront. When at the terminal the 3rd pax(child )will be a no show and you will get the tax refunded.

Great idea, long as their fare hasn’t increased since then. They would be repriced under the current KSF and not the one originally booked.

Is that standard with RCL (or any line, for that matter) that they will move your cabin to a whole different category of the room occupancy changes? You book a balcony for 3, but will/could place you in an inside if it changes to 2 people? I have never heard of that! Wow!!

If that’s the case, I would wait until final payment and people start dropping off and cabins open up.

They don't mind moving rooms, but as they have no balconies left they want to move them by downgrading. My cousin is over 21 who was booked as the third. They said we could do name changes so that may work out to book my younger cousin, who only pays taxes and fees and then no shows foreign taxes and fees. Maybe this way she will be able to come after all. It was $475 to keep him so they may just pay for him, but before we did that I wanted to see what, if any options.

Is that standard with RCL (or any line, for that matter) that they will move your cabin to a whole different category of the room occupancy changes? You book a balcony for 3, but will/could place you in an inside if it changes to 2 people? I have never heard of that! Wow!!

If that’s the case, I would wait until final payment and people start dropping off and cabins open up.

I’m guessing that too many people were putting in fake names to get a cabin if their choice and then cancelling them and getting to keep the cabin.

It is Royals standard as of the past year or so.

but now they want to move their aft balcony for three from next to us to a room for two people somewhere else. On line there are no balconies so now we don’t know where they will end up.

Somehow this statement has morphed into they will be downgraded to an inside cabin.

If they need to be moved from a three person cabin to a two person cabin, the cabin that they will be moved to will be an equal or higher cabin category. Of course, the location of that cabin may not be a location that one wants.

Just because empty cabins are not showing on a website for sale, it does not mean that there are not cabins still empty on the ship.

At this point, keep the cousin and make him a no show at check in (and someone will have to pay his fare) or cancel him, get whatever money that can be refunded, and be moved to another cabin within the same category or a higher one.

As far as moving one of the children booked under a Kids Sail Free promotion, the usual small print says the children must be sailing with two full fare passengers. The move would be made under current fare conditions. Before moving a child, I would check if that might put their four passenger cabin and risk and they would also need to be moved to another 3 passenger cabin (especially if sailing in a high demand holiday period).

Hey good idea for snagging one of those choice cabins that will only let you book for 3. Wait for a KSF!!

We are trying this with my nieces information-I'll let you know

If we cancelled the third person they did want to change the room, yes they did try to downgrade them to an ocean view for losing the third person. No balconies were available so that is why they wanted them in an ocean view. This is why we were unhappy, we were not only losing the balcony next to my family, but ANY balcony.

We had a better rate then the current KSF promotion so we changed my cousin to my niece- who may or may not come. This way we could try bringing her- if we can convince her mom, but if we don’t then they can get the refund of the taxes and fees as a no show. It ended up costing my mom and Uncle the $475 my cousin would have paid ( so a little over $200 each). We could have changed her to the KSF but they wanted the current rate which would have been more then the $475 - we booked in January and got a super great deal, one of the best I have ever paid in 20+ cruises( had my cousin been a kid it would have been a simple name change as well, but the original booking was not under KSF so they would not change her to free without changing the adult rate which was more.)

So the short answer is yes they can and will downgrade you- the price would have changed but we never got that far so not sure what it would have been if you alter from 3 to 2 in a room. This was all done with a refundable deposit rate.