Cruise of a lifetime...please help!

jdwilliams1

This is the first cruise for our family and I know it will be difficult but looking for the best fit. My wife and I are almost 50 and we don't mind an occasional drink from time to time and are more laid back. Not big partiers. We have two boys one will be 23 and the other 20. Kind of a last trip together most likely. They are younger and do not mind the crazy pool crowds or crowded areas but my wife and I are looking for a more relaxed cruise.

We are looking at a 14 day mediterranean cruise, Spain, Italy. Like the price of Royal Caribbean adventure of the seas but i am worried the crowd will be unruly and more of a party atmosphere. I read of a recent post of the 3 things you hate most about a cruise and many mention unruly drunks which leads to unruly kids.

I have also hear many say that longer cruises and cruises away from the american crowd should be fine on RCCL. I am american and do not intend to offend just what I am reading.

Any advise would be appreciated or other cruise line options for the mediterranian

Thanks

We are looking at a 14 day mediterranean cruise, Spain, Italy. Like the price of Royal Caribbean adventure of the seas but i am worried the crowd will be unruly and more of a party atmosphere. I read of a recent post of the 3 things you hate most about a cruise and many mention unruly drunks which leads to unruly kids.

A 14 night cruise is unlikely to be unruly or full of drunks. Well, maybe on one or 2 lines, but not most. I think you're quite safe on that point on RCCL.

AOS would be a good compromise between your preference and your sons' likely need for a bit more excitement. There are options, which should be able to appeal to each of the members in your family.

Also consider that med cruises are typically very port intensive, with most of your port days spent ashore (plus the fatigue factor in those evenings). On your sea days, you will have options besides the noisier and more crowded main pool area- in particular, the Solarium, which is adult only.

For more of what to expect on AOS, check out the "Things to Do" section of their website.

In our experience, RCI does not have a typical reputation regarding partying, drunkenness, or unruly kids as you suggest. They certainly do cater to families, as does NCL, but not with that type of atmosphere. There is another line, whose name might suggest their on board atmosphere, who may have more of that reputation. However, if you want to avoid families and children, you may want to look at Celebrity or HAL as options.

I have done 6 Med cruises on Celebrity in July, Sept and Oct in the past; all were at least 12-15 day crusies.

As other poster said, Med cruises are port intensive with few sea days. They will be enough activites and entertainment for you and your adult sons. At the same time , relaxing space for the parents: solarium, Cafe Bacio and sunset bar area.

Check out Celebrity itineraries and prices to compare with RoyalCC.

I assume carribean cruises are bit more of a party atmosphere? Even the longer ones?

I don't think that is true, at least not in our 25 years+ of cruising with RCI and now Celebrity. There are a lot of varied activities on board that will appeal to many different people, from relaxation to dancing, but the ships (and region) as a whole don't necessarily promote a party atmosphere.

That would be more oriented towards the 3-4 night US based cruises.

A 14 night med cruise would be the exact opposite of what you have heard. Lot of port days far fewer young kids then on a 7 night or a Caribbean cruise. Even though it would be a older crowd on a 14 nighter we have found that RCCL attracts the younger mind set of the older cruisers. And you will find the vast majority of guests on a med cruise with Royal will still be American. If your flying from the states be sure to check out Royals Air2sea flights, even check prices for 2 oneway fights as well as round trip. Your adult kids will have a great time on Royal. happy cruising

I assume carribean cruises are bit more of a party atmosphere? Even the longer ones?

Not necessarily. Think about who has the time (and $$) to take those longer cruises. It's certainly not the 'spring-break, booze-cruise party crowd'! Mostly retirees, or older passengers -- some traveling with family, so a few kids (but not too many). :cool: