NCL Getaway pulled someone in last night who was drifting on a raft at sea

rabidstoat

This was Sunday night, September 2nd, just before midnight. Someone with keen eyes noticed a raft drifting and the ship went back, found the raft, and rescued whoever was on board. Not sure how many or nationalities.

Attached some pics that someone else took and posted, not mine, I was asleep.df8968ce5197c676b94cec8c134556a2.jpg55a1a679642828366bf9c04115b499c1.jpg

Always amazing to see and rescue someone in open ocean.

And at night! I wonder if the raft signaled or had something to make it more visible.

Someone who saw it thought there were about 5 people on board, but that's all I've heard.

Anyone know what happens if it's refugees? Do they get returned to their country? Does it depend on if it's in international waters versus some country's waters? Does the country the ship is registered under matter? I think NCL ships are registered in the Bahamas but I'm not sure.

And at night! I wonder if the raft signaled or had something to make it more visible.

Someone who saw it thought there were about 5 people on board, but that's all I've heard.

Anyone know what happens if it's refugees? Do they get returned to their country? Does it depend on if it's in international waters versus some country's waters? Does the country the ship is registered under matter? I think NCL ships are registered in the Bahamas but I'm not sure.

I'm sure they were Cubans. They will almost certainly be sent back to Cuba. Where they will have to make a new raft and try it again thanks to the daring "rescue"... These were not people looking to be plucked out of the water by a cruise ship unless they had an issue with their raft and were in need of a rescue. But we don't know that at this time.

It doesn't matter where the rescue happened, or what flag the ship flies, it's what happens when the ship enters a country's port that is important. These people are not legally on the ship's manifest, and so immigration in whatever country the ship proceeds to will deal with them in the manner spelled out by that country's laws. When the ship enters port, the country's immigration officials will determine whether they will allow the refugees to land or not. If not, then NCL has to take them to the next port, for a similar determination. If allowed to land, that country's laws will determine whether the people are deported back to their home country or allowed to stay.

I'm sure they were Cubans. They will almost certainly be sent back to Cuba. Where they will have to make a new raft and try it again thanks to the daring "rescue"... These were not people looking to be plucked out of the water by a cruise ship unless they had an issue with their raft and were in need of a rescue. But we don't know that at this time.

More then likely, not sure what happens if they are plucked from the sea, but if they made land they are given refugee status under The Cuban Adjustment Act. Wet foot/dry foot

More then likely, not sure what happens if they are plucked from the sea, but if they made land they are given refugee status under The Cuban Adjustment Act. Wet foot/dry foot

President Obama discontinued the wet foot/dry foot policy in January 2017, and Cuban refugees are treated the same as other refugees, they do not get automatic entry into the US if they make it to land.

• Like 1

President Obama discontinued the wet foot/dry foot policy in January 2017, and Cuban refugees are treated the same as other refugees, they do not get automatic entry into the US if they make it to land.

Was not aware that had changed

I'm on this ship. This happened...I was asleep, but was told it was 20 and that USCG came and got them, but I can't find anyone that saw any USCG. I was told there would be an announcement. No announcement.

Did this impact your arrival/disembarkation in Costa Maya this morning?

I hope your next port wasn’t in the US. Lord help any refugees who show up here these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Maybe we should let the governing authorities use the rule of law in determining their status instead of personal opinion.

Maybe we should let the governing authorities use the rule of law in determining their status instead of personal opinion.

My personal opinion wasn’t determining their status. I think you give me too much credit.

Rather than contradicting someone's post, try looking it up. Miami Herald, February 16, 2017:

Maritime migration from Cuba to Florida has all but come to a halt since President Obama, in one of his most significant last acts in office, ended last month the so-called wet-foot, dry-foot policy, which essentially treated every Cuban who reached U.S. shores as a refugee. It was a 1995 change to the Cold War-era Cuban Adjustment Act of 1966.

Under the policy, those stopped by U.S. authorities at sea were sent back to Cuba. But Cubans who reached land in the States could stay and apply for permanent residency after a year. In the year preceding Obama’s order ending wet-foot, dry-foot, Cuban migration through all points of entry spiked because of the then-president thawing diplomatic ties with the Castro regime. Cubans correctly feared Obama would one day end the policy and left in droves before the proverbial door shut.

Wow....never heard a peep out of Nancy Pelosi when this happened. Wonder why?

Rather than contradicting someone's post, try looking it up. Miami Herald, February 16, 2017:

Maritime migration from Cuba to Florida has all but come to a halt since President Obama, in one of his most significant last acts in office, ended last month the so-called wet-foot, dry-foot policy, which essentially treated every Cuban who reached U.S. shores as a refugee. It was a 1995 change to the Cold War-era Cuban Adjustment Act of 1966.

Under the policy, those stopped by U.S. authorities at sea were sent back to Cuba. But Cubans who reached land in the States could stay and apply for permanent residency after a year. In the year preceding Obama’s order ending wet-foot, dry-foot, Cuban migration through all points of entry spiked because of the then-president thawing diplomatic ties with the Castro regime. Cubans correctly feared Obama would one day end the policy and left in droves before the proverbial door shut.

How did I contradict anyone, all I said was let the law determine how to handle the situation? The post I addressed was inferring that we should let them in regardless and our country was at fault for blocking them entry.

How did I contradict anyone, all I said was let the law determine how to handle the situation? The post I addressed was inferring that we should let them in regardless and our country was at fault for blocking them entry.

You might want to look up the definition of infer vs imply. You inferred something. I only implied that refugees were treated poorly here. I did not imply that all refugees should be allowed to stay without any reservations. I implied that refugees are treated abhorrently. Like when we take away their children and have no way of reuniting them and keep the children in cages in old Walmart’s where they are all but tortured. No need for you to infer anything there. I’m speaking quite plainly so you can understand.

You might want to look up the definition of infer vs imply. You inferred something. I only implied that refugees were treated poorly here. I did not imply that all refugees should be allowed to stay without any reservations. I implied that refugees are treated abhorrently. Like when we take away their children and have no way of reuniting them and keep the children in cages in old Walmart’s where they are all but tortured. No need for you to infer anything there. I’m speaking quite plainly so you can understand.

Free housing, medicine and education, treated abhorrently???

Try sneaking into Russia or Turkey

• Like 1